Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Have you put your heating on yet?

Have you put your heating on yet?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Well have you?

• No way, man
    • Yes, I have, I can't take this anymore, please don't think ill of me

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Trying to get a load of washing done while there's a chance of getting it dry outside.

Running our tumble dryer is supposedly nearly two quid a load now

Blimey. That seems high, is it very old? Sure ours isn't that high. Have you looked on a site to calculate. 

https://www.sust-it.net/energy-calculator.php?embedded_webview=true

It really is unbelievable to me that in 2022 whilst millions of us are having to put jumpers on and coats on indoors, the government has basically given people crumbs compared to their cost of living increase, then in the space of about 4 hours cost the economy hundreds of billions of pounds. 

And they still won't increase the help people need. 

11 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Blimey. That seems high, is it very old? Sure ours isn't that high. Have you looked on a site to calculate. 

https://www.sust-it.net/energy-calculator.php?embedded_webview=true

I was going off a recent article that reckoned a vented dryer (what we've got and the most expensive type apparently) would cost about £1.82 per cycle after today.

Even before this kicked off our bills were pretty high compared to a lot of folk and I suspected our heavy use of the dryer might be a big contributor to that.

Maybe that's not accurate but like all the appliances that generate heat I only want to use it when we REALLY need to

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I was going off a recent article that reckoned a vented dryer (what we've got and the most expensive type apparently) would cost about £1.82 per cycle after today.

Even before this kicked off our bills were pretty high compared to a lot of folk and I suspected our heavy use of the dryer might be a big contributor to that.

Maybe that's not accurate but like all the appliances that generate heat I only want to use it when we REALLY need to

That's very high energy usage. I'd switch it to an A++ rated one if you can. Our old one broke and we had to by a new one last year. A++ and cost about £300 but doesn't cost anywhere near £2 a cycle. On a washing and drying day, running 4 cycles on both our washing machine and tumble dryer it usually adds about £2 to our daily usage based on our smart meter readings (obviously pre increase) however I don't foresee it adding too much more. Might be worth looking at if you're a heavy user like us. 

The article I quoted has got the highest figures of any that I've looked at, now that I've looked at a few more. Seen everything quoted from that down to 4p, which seems very optimistic.

My appliance is 'B' rated, which is pretty crap I know but the logic was to not spend much on it and use it only in emergencies. Unfortunately, my wife considers us to have emergencies most days

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

Submitted actual reads for my mum today to British Gas. 

Her electricity reading was about in line with the estimate she had on her last bill in July. Her actual gas reading was below what they actually estimated at the same time. 

She had a new boiler and radiators fitted last year. All I got back from the British Gas website was ‘Something doesn’t seem quite right….have you double checked that reading’ 

Yes I f’in well have, she’s had a new heating system and you’re massively over estimating her bills ! :nono:

I installed a log burner last month and so far we haven't needed the heating on, just use the logburner in the evenings for a few hours.

I'm finding branches that have been off trees for quite sometime, cutting them to size and burning them!..

Burn well with no blackening of the glass or bad smoking from the chimney!

So far, so good.

Feck sakes i had mine on as of september 28th. Its been feckin cold over here which is very odd lows of 3 celsius in the night.  House dropping to below 20.  Never ever have i put my heating on this early.

I hate fecking cold weather. Canada is too all over the place. 3 in late september is equivalent to -10 given 2 weeks ago it was in high 20s maybe low 30s. 

You lot are used to the lower temps over a longer period of the year so probably better acclimatized to keeping it cooler. 

Not even been tempted to put the heating on yet. It ain't that cold!

I think we had a long, hot summer. We acclimatised to it. Now it's getting cooler, people think it's cold.

Not going to lie, in years gone by, we might have put some clothes on the radiators to dry, but haven't this year.

Yeah, I'm worried about energy costs.

I think once we have frosty mornings, we'll put the heating on. I'm not a monster. 

On 01/10/2022 at 12:55, Bellend Sebastian said:

Trying to get a load of washing done while there's a chance of getting it dry outside.

Running our tumble dryer is supposedly nearly two quid a load now

We've just bought a heat pump tumble dryer. Supposed to use about a third of the electricity. 

18 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

We've just bought a heat pump tumble dryer. Supposed to use about a third of the electricity. 

Ah - I was just looking at these. Ours is knackered so we need a new one. I’d never heard of heat pump ones til last week. 

Which one did you go for, and why? 

7 minutes ago, Milo said:

Ah - I was just looking at these. Ours is knackered so we need a new one. I’d never heard of heat pump ones til last week. 

Which one did you go for, and why? 

We bought this one. Our choice was a bit limited as the space is very tight. Like most things, you can spend whatever you like but this one has good reviews and a decent price. It's actually £20 less than we paid only a week ago. It also has £75 cashback that we haven't got yet. Only used it about 3 times but dry's the clothes really well. The cycles are longer but no big deal. 

https://markselectrical.co.uk/HLEH9A2DE_Hoover-Heat-Pump-Tumble-Dryer.html

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

We bought this one. Our choice was a bit limited as the space is very tight. Like most things, you can spend whatever you like but this one has good reviews and a decent price. It's actually £20 less than we paid only a week ago. It also has £75 cashback that we haven't got yet. Only used it about 3 times but dry's the clothes really well. The cycles are longer but no big deal. 

https://markselectrical.co.uk/HLEH9A2DE_Hoover-Heat-Pump-Tumble-Dryer.html

Seeing as my missus uses the tumble dryer after every wash (which drives me round the bend) it costs us a fortune to run. So just ordered this and pick it up tomorrow. Happy days :yahoo:.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Turns out no one should have their heating on, as apparently, according to Brendan we're in the middle of a heatwave...lol

A friend of mine maintains that, as long as the thermostat reads above 5 degrees, the heating stays off.

Incidentally, he has a corporate box at the KP.