Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Have you put your heating on yet?

Have you put your heating on yet?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Well have you?

• No way, man
    • Yes, I have, I can't take this anymore, please don't think ill of me

19 minutes ago, Parafox said:

A friend of mine maintains that, as long as the thermostat reads above 5 degrees, the heating stays off.

Incidentally, he has a corporate box at the KP.

5 degrees? Does he just leave his grocery shoppin ouy on the counter. Thats refrigerator level temperature (if celsius) lol. Cheap bastard.

I admit that i dislike being cold and keep my house at 22-24 or so in the fall/winter/spring . In the summer i keep it at 24.  Yes, i need to do better with climate issues but the extremes we get here in southern ontario are mental. I can handle either but it messes with my heat regulation.

At the same time i love the cold crisp arctic air we get over this side of the pond. Feels like i can breath easier with it when im having acid reflix issues etc.

I have been dressing with more layers so far and keeping it cooler than normal. The wife isnt super excited about that but its more reason for her to cuddle for warmth. Has its win wins lol

11 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

5 degrees? Does he just leave his grocery shoppin ouy on the counter. Thats refrigerator level temperature (if celsius) lol. Cheap bastard.

I admit that i dislike being cold and keep my house at 22-24 or so in the fall/winter/spring . In the summer i keep it at 24.  Yes, i need to do better with climate issues but the extremes we get here in southern ontario are mental. I can handle either but it messes with my heat regulation.

At the same time i love the cold crisp arctic air we get over this side of the pond. Feels like i can breath easier with it when im having acid reflix issues etc.

I have been dressing with more layers so far and keeping it cooler than normal. The wife isnt super excited about that but its more reason for her to cuddle for warmth. Has its win wins lol

So that's your heating on for 9 months of the year, and your air con on for the other 3?

Your climate is absolutely mental mate.

Just move to England, save you a fortune in energy costs. 

After what you're used to, you wouldn't need a thermostat, just a choice between fleece, jumper or vest lol

• Haha 1

Just now, Scotch said:

It's always been ironic to me that a country full with the angriest, short tempered b@stards has such amazing golf courses for a game that requires amazing patience. 

We love it up there. Been a couple of times in the last year. East Coast though. Specifically Dunbar. Beautiful. 

Anywhere you'd recommend West coast for a week away?

No scenery like it in the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

We love it up there. Been a couple of times in the last year. East Coast though. Specifically Dunbar. Beautiful. 

Anywhere you'd recommend West coast for a week away?

No scenery like it in the UK.

Arran is a beautiful place. Well worth a weekend at least. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, tom27111 said:

So that's your heating on for 9 months of the year, and your air con on for the other 3?

Your climate is absolutely mental mate.

Just move to England, save you a fortune in energy costs. 

After what you're used to, you wouldn't need a thermostat, just a choice between fleece, jumper or vest lol

Well not fully.  In winter heating is a must here. Spring and fall you can get away with windows open more so etc. So my heat is set to 22 but we get decent sun so its usually around 22 anywas without the heat coming on. Only in the night does it come on in the fall. 

Just depends in the week. Right now its a high of 8 to 12 all this week. 18/19 next weekend and then mid teens the week after. At noght this time week will drop to 2 ao the heating will definitely come on.

Been wearing the beard longer then 5 oclock shadows and the chest and body hair is good. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/10/2022 at 22:47, Spudulike said:

We bought this one. Our choice was a bit limited as the space is very tight. Like most things, you can spend whatever you like but this one has good reviews and a decent price. It's actually £20 less than we paid only a week ago. It also has £75 cashback that we haven't got yet. Only used it about 3 times but dry's the clothes really well. The cycles are longer but no big deal. 

https://markselectrical.co.uk/HLEH9A2DE_Hoover-Heat-Pump-Tumble-Dryer.html

How’s this working out for you? 

About to bite the bullet and buy one, but would appreciate a real life review! 

Cheers 

16 minutes ago, Milo said:

Cheers 

The machine is fine. Works well but don't actually know how much energy it uses as we haven't (yet) got a smart meter thing. Having one fitted next week so it might give me some indication although I don't have a standard tumble dryer to compare it with. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Milo said:

Cheers 

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

The machine is fine. Works well but don't actually know how much energy it uses as we haven't (yet) got a smart meter thing. Having one fitted next week so it might give me some indication although I don't have a standard tumble dryer to compare it with. 

lol Sorry, but that's a useless response.

Please keep us updated...

7 hours ago, Parafox said:

lol Sorry, but that's a useless response.

Please keep us updated...

Eh? What sort of response where you hoping for? It's a tumble dryer, it sits under the worktop, you put wet clothes in, and take dry clothes out. It has lots of function programmes to suit the various items (more info on the page linked earlier). We've had it for a month and it hasn't broken down yet. It does what any tumble dryer will do but for half the energy consumption (claimed by the manufacturers). Anything else you'd like to know about it? 

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Eh? What sort of response where you hoping for? It's a tumble dryer, it sits under the worktop, you put wet clothes in, and take dry clothes out. It has lots of function programmes to suit the various items (more info on the page linked earlier). We've had it for a month and it hasn't broken down yet. It does what any tumble dryer will do but for half the energy consumption (claimed by the manufacturers). Anything else you'd like to know about it? 

Apologies I misinterpreted your post.

• Like 1

Its currently -1 feels like -4 over here.

High of 15 tomorrow and 17 several days next week.

I put the heating on 1 month today more so because of the night time dip. It doesnt come on much during the day as the sunshine keeps the room where our thermostat is warm. Plus, with the google thermostat you can program the temps per hour for what you want it to be at (all from your phone) which is nice.

Edited by Jattdogg

12 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

628 quid in credit and they still want to put my payments up

In a similar situation. Also have flatly refused to accept my last two Gas readings, apparently they are too low so they are using estimates instead because, you know, estimates are far more accurate than my ACTUAL METER READINGS. 

I haven't had my heating on since March, shower, oven etc are all electric, only gas appliance I have is the hob and I use it maybe once a week to warm some soup up. I'm thus not using a lot of gas. They've told me to wait until my actual meter reading reaches where my current 'Estimate' is and then they can realign everything (or so Nayam on British Gas live chat told me). My meter is likely to reach where the current estimate is in, hmmm, maybe another fecking year or so. 

willy pullers.

Edited by SecretPro

For the first time ever I am really taking a note of our monthly usage. I probably should have before really, but at the same time we have always been careful not to use more gas or electric than we need to. I was quite surprised at how little gas we are using at the moment - I guess that will all change once the cold weather really sets in... Our thermostat is still set in at 18, and it is kicking in very occasionally. 

9 hours ago, rachhere said:

For the first time ever I am really taking a note of our monthly usage. I probably should have before really, but at the same time we have always been careful not to use more gas or electric than we need to. I was quite surprised at how little gas we are using at the moment - I guess that will all change once the cold weather really sets in... Our thermostat is still set in at 18, and it is kicking in very occasionally. 

You're hardy! Our thermostat said it was 18.4, the heating has gone on early tonight as we're cold.

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

You're hardy! Our thermostat said it was 18.4, the heating has gone on early tonight as we're cold.

It’s not too bad. We both struggle to sleep if it’s too hot. Worse thing is I am regularly using a blanket on the sofa at night, and my cat has developed a new habit of pouncing on my feet underneath it! 

• Haha 1