Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Have you put your heating on yet?

Have you put your heating on yet?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Well have you?

• No way, man
    • Yes, I have, I can't take this anymore, please don't think ill of me

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Highly recommend it, we got ours from Lakeland and it saves us lots

Got the same one, I think. A 3 tiered DrySoon. With it switched on and the cover over it, a load of washing usually drys overnight. In terms of cost, I think it’s about 9p an hour at current rates, so a snip compared to a tumble dryer.

Thinking of getting a cheap dehumidifier (one of those that you put cartridges in) for the room we dry clothes in, as moisture in the air will make the room feel cooler.

• Like 1

Had a nice email from Shell yesterday, with them recommending that I REDUCE my payments by £25 a month. Its still double last year, but is much closer to it if I take into account the £66 over the next few months from the government (and actually less than when we moved in and inherited the estimate usage from the previous owners).

Have kept the payments as they are for now, though, as I'd rather try to build up a bit of credit if I can. 

We have a south facing conservatory, mostly glass and the last week or so we've pretty much lived in there. Even drying the washing on an airer, it's that warm.

The downside is that when it's colder outside, the convection effect means that the conservatory is way too cold to sit in. So then it's back to the living room and jumpers.

We daren't switch the underfloor heating on. All that does is cost a fortune to warm your feet.

(No, it's not a humblebrag)!

On 13/11/2022 at 08:25, Górnik Leicester said:

Had a nice email from Shell yesterday, with them recommending that I REDUCE my payments by £25 a month. Its still double last year, but is much closer to it if I take into account the £66 over the next few months from the government (and actually less than when we moved in and inherited the estimate usage from the previous owners).

Have kept the payments as they are for now, though, as I'd rather try to build up a bit of credit if I can. 

Why woud you want money in Shells account when you can have it in yours? Not a trick question btw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

Why woud you want money in Shells account when you can have it in yours? Not a trick question btw.

I agree with this sentiment. Put it in a savings account rather than shells. 

I'm also with shell after my old provider went bust, the one thing that is very good on their website is that you can adjust your direct debit to what you can afford. I've lowered mine a few times because they were trying to charge me too much based on what I knew I was using. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommy G said:

In my case (and coincidentally I'm with Shell as well) I'm happy to be in credit with them as I know based on projections that the credit balance will probably be enough to get through the winter without having them arse about with the DDM too much.

If it was in our joint account it would probably end up getting spent on school uniforms and stuff like that. If you have the discipline and a system to be able to allocate cash for specific purposes then fair enough, but we just don't have the time to manage our stuff in that way

• Like 1

We've had our heating on for a couple of weeks, now mainly because we do loads of washing and getting it dry was becoming a real struggle. I know it's been mild but I had washing out all weekend and it was nowhere near dry by the time it for dark yesterday even though there was zero rain.

The advantage of holding out as long as we did was that when we did put it on I put the thermostat on lower than previous years - 18-19 degrees depending on the time of day - and that seems plenty warm enough now, and given how mild it's been it's only been kicking in occasionally, but enough to get the washing dry.

My daft in laws have been really good at putting off putting the heating on (they live in a modern house that makes it easier), but when they succumbed they put it on full blast, with the radiator valves set to about 28 degrees so it was like a furnace, mental.

Might even see if I can turn the thermostat down a bit and get away with it...

4 hours ago, Tommy G said:

As @Bellend Sebastiansaid, pretty much. The only reason its being reduced is because of the warmer weather we're having. As soon as it gets a bit colder and the heating is whacked on, they'll be wanting to increase it again. If we then end up in any credit after the winter, it's a nice little bonus. 

By how much does your temperature drop overnight?

The level of insulation in our loft, it's a bungalow, didn't get rave reviews in our EPC, we've added some and considering more. I'm just wondering the average overnight temperature drop at the moment, to see if we are actually ok.

The Hive app shows it was 19.6c at 21.30, 18.4c by 23.30 and down to 17.2c by 07.00 this morning.

Is this good, bad or normal?

19 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

The level of insulation in our loft, it's a bungalow, didn't get rave reviews in our EPC, we've added some and considering more. I'm just wondering the average overnight temperature drop at the moment, to see if we are actually ok.

The Hive app shows it was 19.6c at 21.30, 18.4c by 23.30 and down to 17.2c by 07.00 this morning.

Assuming your heating isn't on or is off overnight I'd say that was pretty good, certainly no worse than normal.

My house is insulated pretty badly apart from the new extension at the back, which is where the thermometer is and that tells a similar story 

5 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Assuming your heating isn't on or is off overnight I'd say that was pretty good, certainly no worse than normal.

My house is insulated pretty badly apart from the new extension at the back, which is where the thermometer is and that tells a similar story 

Thanks. The heating was on until 21.30 and then set to come on again at 07.30.

We definitely want to add more in the kitchen / diner, that's still a bit disrupted from the building works, but are awaiting delivery of caps for the spotlights.

42 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Thanks. The heating was on until 21.30 and then set to come on again at 07.30.

We definitely want to add more in the kitchen / diner, that's still a bit disrupted from the building works, but are awaiting delivery of caps for the spotlights.

If you have a new kitchen/diner then won't the builders have put in at least enough insulation to comply with building regs? 

We've recently moved into our new extension and was impressed by the amount of insulation that went in. It looks like we have a flock of sheep down the cavities and thick sheets of stuff above the ceiling. Feels like it stays quite warm with minimal heat. 

4 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

If you have a new kitchen/diner then won't the builders have put in at least enough insulation to comply with building regs? 

We've recently moved into our new extension and was impressed by the amount of insulation that went in. It looks like we have a flock of sheep down the cavities and thick sheets of stuff above the ceiling. Feels like it stays quite warm with minimal heat. 

It's not a new extension, we knocked a couple of walls down and merged rooms to create it - the loft area above was disrupted installing the steels, new plumbing and electrics etc. It has insulation but could be better, but no point until we can cap the lights.

26 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

You need around 300mm of quilt insulation in the roof which is a huge amount.

It's easy to look at  your existing insulation and think it's a lot. Modern building regs leaves houses very warm and in need of minimal heating.

9 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

I have thought about improving insulation in our house but were worried that it would make our house hotter in the summer which is not ideal as we have a 18 months old and are hoping for additional pitter of feets over next few years.  

Not sure if my worries are valid?   My house have similar temperature loss as yours btw

• Haha 1