Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Have you put your heating on yet?

Have you put your heating on yet?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Well have you?

• No way, man
    • Yes, I have, I can't take this anymore, please don't think ill of me

Not yet. Moved into a new flat in July and so far it seems fairly well protected from the extremes - out of the sun when it was roasting, and seems to be doing alright with the cold too.

Avoiding the heating for as long as possible with the way things are going, but I have bought a heated blanket to try and avoid turning the (electric) radiators on for a little longer at least. 

3 minutes ago, Xen said:

Not yet. Moved into a new flat in July and so far it seems fairly well protected from the extremes - out of the sun when it was roasting, and seems to be doing alright with the cold too.

Avoiding the heating for as long as possible with the way things are going, but I have bought a heated blanket to try and avoid turning the (electric) radiators on for a little longer at least. 

Electric blanket manufacturers are having a great time of it, I know loads of folk who have just bought one or are talking about getting one

• Like 1

It's coming on for half an hour or so in the morning, until it reaches target - 19c. And, for the last week, I've been boosting it for half an hour in the evening before we sit down. I was adamant we'd hold out until temperatures were colder, but as soon as it got chilly, it's gone on. Most rooms do have the thermostat on low, just up in the kitchen/living, bedroom and lounge.  Still on a 5p fixed gas rate, so making the most of it. Electric blanket has been on a few times too.

Edited by FoyleFox

My house is extremely cold, it has been since the start of September, it's a very cold old detached house and it's huge (if that sounds like showing off, know that it's a rental and I couldn't ever afford to buy it.)

I'm living here on my own most of the time at the moment so I'm using a mains powered oil radiator to heat my office where I'm spending most of my evenings as well as the day atm. It's the box room so I can pretty much make it a sauna with the rad just set to #1 which isn't costing me much. 

Not yet.

I'm in a flat in a late 1800s building so there's no insulation in the walls and single glazing still.

I've mostly been ok with a couple of layers on and a throw on the sofa in the evenings, but on the days I'm working from home I am getting a bit cold sat still. I'll be putting it on for a little bit in the mornings before I get up and in the evenings pretty soon. 

Edited by ajthefox

Glad to be back in the office every day now. Compared to last year where the choice was to sit at the kitchen table and freeze or sit uncomfortably in the warmer living room. 

Not yet put my heating on, I don't think its been overly cold yet, resorted to a hoodie a couple of times. Drying clothes is a bit of ball ache, I do have a dryer but reluctant to put certain things in there (a sentence that confirms I'm getting old) 

Our thermostat is set to 18, but I don't think it's clicked on yet. I normally will try to resist until October which can be a struggle towards the end of September, but it feels like it's been milder than previous years. On a related topic, i just submitted our meeting readings as today is the last day before the rates change. It looks like our direct debit (just under £200) is going to work out around the right level (depending on how bad a winter it is of course). 

42 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

After today the weather perks up quite a bit for a few days. We can do this!

Whatever this is

Taking something back from somewhere, I think. It could be the lawnmower I borrowed from next door, but I can’t see why people would be talking about that on their social communication things. Also, I don’t have a lawnmower in the garage so that can’t be it. 

23 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Taking something back from somewhere, I think. It could be the lawnmower I borrowed from next door, but I can’t see why people would be talking about that on their social communication things. Also, I don’t have a lawnmower in the garage so that can’t be it. 

I've replaced the bulb in the fridge, cut back the ivy and carpeted the meter cupboard so there's literally nothing else to be done.

Genuine danger I've fulfilled my purpose