Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content
davieG

Brendan Rodgers outlines two vital factors at heart of Leicester City ambitions

Recommended Posts

Posted
5 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

If people want to find fault, they will, regardless of what he says, its worse now he has categorically proven the doubters wrong and jolly well put them in their place, rather than accept the error in good grace, they would rather double down and damn with faint praise  :ph34r:

One good run does not in any way prove doubters wrong, just the same as one bad run did not get a lot of the doubters on his back.It was numerous bad runs coupled with his unacceptable behaviour in managing a talented squad that drove a lot of people to doubt him.

There is a long way to go in this season before I will be eating any humble pie, as delighted as I am with the present run.

Posted
4 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

I think Brendan is just learning what it's like to be in charge of a club in the long term.

 

This is a club that can absolutely enhance his reputation as a top coach, but every club has cycles and goes through peaks and troughs. Managing all those moving parts is tremendously difficult and often it's thought that replacing the manager and coaching staff is a good way of providing a positive catalyst in the short term (although there is actually evidence to suggest that the new manager bounce is actually a myth).

 

At the very top of the league, cycles of boom and bust can be the difference between winning the league and a cup and finishing second in the league and being a losing finalist in one or two cups. But among 'the other 14' clubs, the standard is so close that a relegation candidate in one season can be challenging the top 4 the next and vice versa.

 

If we look to the medium and long term and follow the blueprint of good recruitment and selling at the optimum times, we can absolutely be up there challenging again with Brendan in charge, as long as he accepts the longer term nature of the job.

Good points…

  • Thanks 1
Posted
2 minutes ago, Ian S said:

One good run does not in any way prove doubters wrong, just the same as one bad run did not get a lot of the doubters on his back.It was numerous bad runs coupled with his unacceptable behaviour in managing a talented squad that drove a lot of people to doubt him.

There is a long way to go in this season before I will be eating any humble pie, as delighted as I am with the present run.

Tbh, this is why I added the :ph34r: as I gave up on and thought (and still do) thought he needs to move on, but, and how much of a indication of the fan base this forum is I am unsure,  we rage far louder than we critique or support, and you could argue this is the nature of football of fans, but we aren't at a match whilst on the forum, so thats a limp excuse.

 

And that fact grates

Posted (edited)

This is just another BR BS article. Most of what comes out of Brendan’s mouth when speaking to the press is mealy mouthed BS. That’s his style. Just as Klopp always comes across like an affronted elderly pensioner who’s just picked the phone up to an unsolicited sales call. Just as Pearson always appeared to be being interviewed by a person who he’d just caught shagging his wife. I never get why people are so offended by it.

 

Speaking to the press, by definition, is a manufactured situation with somebody sticking a microphone in your face trying to get a tasty soundbite. Managers tend to deal with the situation in different ways: soundbites and BS (Brendan), like the whole world is against them (Klopp/Pep/SAF), overtly aggressively (Pearson/Warnock/Conte) or that they’re the only adult in the room (Howe, Potter).

 

BR rarely says anything that makes me feel more edified after he’s said it. To be honest, though, I don’t really care if he spends the next press conference bent over, microphone in front of his backside, making a series of flatulent noises from his anus. I only care if we’re winning football matches.

Edited by Jobyfox
  • Like 4
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

This is just another BR BS article. Most of what comes out of Brendan’s mouth when speaking to the press is mealy mouthed BS. That’s his style. Just as Klopp always comes across like an affronted elderly pensioner who’s just picked the phone up to an unsolicited sales call. Just as Pearson always appeared to be being interviewed by a person who he’d just caught shagging his wife. I never get why people are so offended by it.

 

Speaking to the press, by definition, is a manufactured situation with somebody sticking a microphone in your face trying to get a tasty soundbite. Managers tend to deal with the situation in different ways: soundbites and BS (Brendan), like the whole world is against them (Klopp/Pep/SAF), overtly aggressively (Pearson/Warnock/Conte) or that they’re the only adult in the room (Howe, Potter).

 

BR rarely says anything that makes me feel more edified after he’s said it. To be honest, though, I don’t really care if he spends the next press conference bent over, microphone in front of his backside, making a series of flatulent noises from his anus. I only care if we’re winning football matches.

I notice there was no other examples of managers that do it like Rodgers :ph34r:

 

Seeing him follow through at a presser would bring me great satisfaction though :D

 

Posted (edited)

You know what, as annoying as his smugness will be when we climb further up the league and do pretty well, I'd much rather be sat here a bit pissed off at a manager that's a bit full of shit and my team playing well, than bottom of the league and him making it all about himself. 

 

I'm just so relieved to not be where we were. 

Edited by Gamble92
.
  • Like 1
Posted
4 hours ago, filbertway said:

Oi! I consistently nit pick :D No manager has ever made it so easy. There were the people that used to mock Puel for using the same words. Even Rob Kelly got plenty of stick and ribbing for constantly saying "we'll redouble our efforts on the training ground".

 

Rodgers constantly changes the narrative though and as someone that has to deal with clients at work that do this, it's annoying when anyone does it. Friend, foe or ulsterman I'll call it out :D

 

By the way, this transformation is literally unbelievable. This 15 game period alone should be enough to write a hollywood blockbuster, it'd still be closer to fiction than a transformers or any of the  marvel movies lol

 

 

Sadly Puel will only be remembered by the majority for that, but he managed us through a tricky transition. 

 

You know I'd forgotten all about Rob Kelly, until I saw he was the caretaker manager at Wigan. 

 

I think it is a case of him being around for near on 4 years, you have a bigger sample size of narrative to compare.

 

Talk about crazy extremes in the first 15. 

 

 

 

Posted

We're bound to lose a game again at some point.

That will be the point we can all start demanding his head on a spike again. Maybe make a Tifo or something.

We just need to be patient. 

We'll get back to the bad old days soon enough. We just have to keep the faith.

Posted
51 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Sadly Puel will only be remembered by the majority for that, but he managed us through a tricky transition. 

 

You know I'd forgotten all about Rob Kelly, until I saw he was the caretaker manager at Wigan. 

 

I think it is a case of him being around for near on 4 years, you have a bigger sample size of narrative to compare.

 

Talk about crazy extremes in the first 15. 

 

I loved Puel's work and was roundly mocked for it lol He had such a tough job coming into a tight knit group and having to break that apart and evolve it. The players didn't like him, but it was the only way the job was going to get done. I always appreciated the job he did and was quite happy to put up with the boring performances as he was doing us good in the long term. I think I begrudgingly accepted his time might be up as he came to the end. The abuse he took was ridiculous considering what he did for us,

 

No way! I can't Rob Kelly is still going. He did a solid enough job for us under difficult circumstances a likeable guy but part of a very forgetful part of our past. (Although not forgettable enough apparently :D)

 

I don't think it's any coincidence that Liverpool and Celtic fans all have their own memories of mental lies and untruths that Rodgers told during his time there. It stands out more than any other manager I recall. He's a proper politician haha

 

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Fox92 said:

What's wrong with what he said? It's true. First poor position he's had us in and people were singing and having banners for him to be sacked.

...the poor performances for a good year was the catalyst for calling for his head at the start of the season!!!

  Let us not gloss over supporters being served with  soporific  fayre for some time.  No wonder they were thinking he was getting worse with the results we were producing. 

  It just goes to show what a positive person in charge could do with this team. Much easier games and appalling performances from teams that we came up against is the answer to our points haul.

  The trio of Faes, Knudsen and Glover has changed the mentality of this team even more so the manager.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...the poor performances for a good year was the catalyst for calling for his head at the start of the season!!!

  Let us not gloss over supporters being served with  soporific  fayre for some time.  No wonder they were thinking he was getting worse with the results we were producing. 

  It just goes to show what a positive person in charge could do with this team. Much easier games and appalling performances from teams that we came up against is the answer to our points haul.

  The trio of Faes, Knudsen and Glover has changed the mentality of this team even more so the manager.

No evidence of that but whatever.

 

Rodgers was very down and critical but no he's not. There is a much more positive feel now.

Edited by Fox92
Posted
On 15/11/2022 at 16:49, nnfox said:

IF we continue our form

IF our players come back from WC safely

IF we get some support

IF we get some new signings

THEN we'll try and finish as high as possible.

 

I hope they all come in because I'd hate to not try and finish as high as possible.

To be fair I don’t see how you can talk about the future without using the word if

  • Like 1
Posted
11 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

If people want to find fault, they will, regardless of what he says, its worse now he has categorically proven the doubters wrong and jolly well put them in their place, rather than accept the error in good grace, they would rather double down and damn with faint praise  :ph34r:

He hasn't proven anyone wrong, we're on 17 points from 15 games and our 5 wins are against the teams that are 20th. 18th, 17th, 16th and 15th. People on here are so quick to flip flop opinions on him. Yes he has been doing decently recently but that does not invalidate criticism of him. We are still in a relegation scrap despite what a couple dopamine hits from us winning might say.

  • Like 4
Posted
12 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

He hasn't proven anyone wrong, we're on 17 points from 15 games and our 5 wins are against the teams that are 20th. 18th, 17th, 16th and 15th. People on here are so quick to flip flop opinions on him. Yes he has been doing decently recently but that does not invalidate criticism of him. We are still in a relegation scrap despite what a couple dopamine hits from us winning might say.

You miss my. :ph34r:  ?

 

It was merely a hyperbolic reaction to the “bin after 7 games” logic

Posted
42 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

You miss my. :ph34r:  ?

 

It was merely a hyperbolic reaction to the “bin after 7 games” logic

I dont speak emoji, my bad. 

 

To be fair i keep telling myself to try and fully enjoy us winning as i was really worried about relegation but the pessimist in me still says we should be doing better. I think i should just leave the thinking to Top...

  • Like 1
Posted
21 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

And he’s still on the push for signings. 

I don't mind this providing he isn't trying to pretend he wasn't a big reason for us being unable to. We should be looking to add players, I do at least agree on that.

  • Like 1
Posted
17 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

It is all about stakeholder analysis, with all stakeholders you have to work out who has power over your work and their level of interest. As fans, we have a high level of interest but very little power so fall into the keep informed camp. The really important stakeholders whether we like it or not as fans are the player and board, they're the ones he has to manage closely. 

 

I do think he struggled to find the answers last year, to our defensive issues and lent heavily on a refresh to sort it, maybe he ran out of ideas and desire and got drawn into playing down expectations as a defence mechanism. 

 

I think the board's view is still to disrupt the establishment, but in doing so we have lost control of some financial aspects of the club, and this summer is all about having an off-field reset. I think the board took a view that our squad when free from injuries is competitive, which on reflection of the first 15 games is probably true. But I think most City fans would have thought in the summer to really challenge the top 6 we need reinforcements.

 

I think Rodgers saw a refresh as the only way to change our fortunes, unlike the board, on reflection I think there has been a disconnect between the manager and the board, we aren't privy to those conversations behind the scenes, but I think there was a miscommunication or lack of communication about the plans for the summer which he reacted badly too, taking a number of weeks to pull his head out his arse.

 

Personally think successful teams have to go through a refresh of some sort to keep up the levels, but that can be as much off the field or on the field, the introduction of Lars Knudsen and Martyn Glover to the club seems to have had a positive effect on Rodgers demeanour.

 

To be honest, if you recorded most people's work meeting interactions over a 4 year period you would see a lot of contradictions, fibs and hypocrisy, we are just all lucky we aren't recorded. 

 

 


 

 

 

Mendelow's Matrix 😎

  • Like 1
Posted
22 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Doesn't really bother me, I have always felt since we got back in the PL in 2014/15 are initial target should be to be safe and build from that foundation. 

 

I have never been one to take much from manager speak whether that's O'Neill, Pearson, or Rodgers.

 

I do find it interesting that people are looking for other things to nit pick once the on-field stuff has improved 

He found the quote you didn't belive was said then dismiss it with " Doesn't really bother me " Come on have the good grace to admit you were wrong.:dunno:

Posted
17 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

 

BR rarely says anything that makes me feel more edified after he’s said it. To be honest, though, I don’t really care if he spends the next press conference bent over, microphone in front of his backside, making a series of flatulent noises from his anus. I only care if we’re winning football matches.

I've always favoured a continental coach. We should be looking to replace BR with Joseph "Le Pétomane" Pujol pronto! 

:ph34r:

Posted
17 minutes ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

He found the quote you didn't belive was said then dismiss it with " Doesn't really bother me " Come on have the good grace to admit you were wrong.:dunno:

Like the "he needs sacking" brigade do you mean?  Or just state "too early to judge" caveat?  We are all the same, entrenched to some degree, and if we spent all our time looking for apologies or corrections, then there would be no time for the real reason for being here   :scarf:

  • Like 2
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

He found the quote you didn't belive was said then dismiss it with " Doesn't really bother me " Come on have the good grace to admit you were wrong.:dunno:

@filbertway tell your dad to wind his neck in....

 

 

 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Haha 1
Posted
On 15/11/2022 at 16:46, TK95 said:

Seems like more than two vital factors there lol

It's a bit Monty Python. The two vital factors are continuing our form, our players players coming back from the World Cup safely and if we get some support.  No, the three vital factors are ...

  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...