Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

FIFA

You would have hoped that post Blatter the powers that be would try & redress some balance.

I would hope that any poster on FT would make decisions for the good of football.

BUT NONE of us have been influenced by the money or perceived power these sports politicians have, whether influenced by corporations e.g Budweiser etc. or the country’s regimes.

It just makes me very sad Football & so many sports have been hijacked by those who don’t try within the confines they have to do the best for the sports & the fans/supporters.

Literally just finished a book by Chris Sutton (What’s wrong with Football), saying much the same.

Somehow we have to get rid of these sport “politicians”, who just don’t care about doing the right thing.

All very 😞 

• Like 2

Just now, David Hankey said:

We all know it was entirely wrong to award these Finals to Qatar and Blatter, at the time, and those at FIFA who voted to give this ill-considered country the World Cup are now reaping what they have sown. I suppose the brown envelopes were too big to turn down!!

What are they reaping? I haven’t heard anyone cancelling contracts, withholding revenue, boycotting the tournament etc. viewing figures will as always be very high. Take all the bribes into account and I reckon this will go down as the most profitable World Cup ever? I fail to see how this is anything but a major success for fifa. They don’t care about negative media attention, which will all blow over soon enough, and doesn’t affect revenue opportunities given all the media are paying fifa to be in Qatar lol 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

What are they reaping? I haven’t heard anyone cancelling contracts, withholding revenue, boycotting the tournament etc. viewing figures will as always be very high. Take all the bribes into account and I reckon this will go down as the most profitable World Cup ever? I fail to see how this is anything but a major success for fifa. They don’t care about negative media attention, which will all blow over soon enough, and doesn’t affect revenue opportunities given all the media are paying fifa to be in Qatar lol 

What are they reaping?!! Telling folk how to behave themselves and all the disgruntlement I hear from numerous quarters.

Surely, you're not agreeing that by awarding this prestigious football tournament to a non-footballing national with their draconian laws is a good thing? Having to move the matches to winter is in itself bad enough but according to Infantile we've all to grin and bear it and say nowt for fear of upsetting the hosts. Of all the countries around the world I can't think of a worse one but as they say "money talks" and it certainly has in this case.

30 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

What are they reaping?!! Telling folk how to behave themselves and all the disgruntlement I hear from numerous quarters.

Surely, you're not agreeing that by awarding this prestigious football tournament to a non-footballing national with their draconian laws is a good thing? Having to move the matches to winter is in itself bad enough but according to Infantile we've all to grin and bear it and say nowt for fear of upsetting the hosts. Of all the countries around the world I can't think of a worse one but as they say "money talks" and it certainly has in this case.

I think this is the best reply I’ve had which absolutely fails to read what I’ve written lol. I don’t agree with it of course, where did I say I do? LOLLLL the disgruntlement you hear from numerous quarters doesn’t really matter when they are making billions

9 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I think this is the best reply I’ve had which absolutely fails to read what I’ve written lol. I don’t agree with it of course, where did I say I do? LOLLLL the disgruntlement you hear from numerous quarters doesn’t really matter when they are making billions

Well, that's unfortunate on your behalf so I think it's best left there.

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Well, that's unfortunate on your behalf so I think it's best left there.

I would love to see how you read the post in your mind lol

He's just saying FIFA are still coming out of this as winners, which is true.

"Those at FIFA who voted to give this ill-considered country the World Cup are now reaping what they have sown" makes it sound like you think FIFA are now suffering?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Given Infantino's outpourings today:

20221119_132543.jpg.c690a6a1417446500adb597f9366fdff.jpg

:facepalm:

I thought this subforum needed a thread to document just how very low the bigwigs are going to go during this tournament.

Today I feel he is every bit as corrupt as Blatter.

Today I feel he will try to say anything to justify the decision to give Qatar the world Cup.

Today I feel he will say he is like everyone when he and FIFA are just as prejudice..

• Like 3

4 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Doesn't feel like a world cup and i can't wait for the season to re-start. Normaly theres a bit of a summer break and everyone is looking forward to it, but it feels like we've just had our last game and straight into it, i've not seen any flags ouside peoples houses and none of the car flags. All feels a bit crap to me.

This is just how I feel. There's no atmosphere around it. No enthusiasm. Just a feeling of "meh".

• Like 1

Just now, Parafox said:

This is just how I feel. There's no atmosphere around it. No enthusiasm. Just a feeling of "meh".

I don't get why they didn't just build covered stadiums that could be air conditioned, so it was played in the summer.

Games were played in covered stadia in USA 94.

1 minute ago, when_you're_smiling said:

That’s what they said they were going to do when they won the bid, but then I think they decided it was too expensive.

Some of the stadia cost over a billion dollars. I don't think it would've made much difference. 

I think they initially said they'd air condition outside stadiums, which we all know is impossible, but FIFA bought it lol

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Some of the stadia cost over a billion dollars. I don't think it would've made much difference. 

I think they initially said they'd air condition outside stadiums, which we all know is impossible, but FIFA bought it lol

No Quatar bought it :ph34r:lol

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

That’s what they said they were going to do when they won the bid, but then I think they decided it was too expensive.

Lol money over there is as plentiful as air and sand. It was decided having hundreds of thousands of media and fans in Qatar over summer would not be safe. I think a lot if not all of the stadiums do have air con, some games will be played with the roof closed and air con on 

1 minute ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Lol money over there is as plentiful as air and sand. It was decided having hundreds of thousands of media and fans in Qatar over summer would not be safe. I think a lot if not all of the stadiums do have air con, some games will be played with the roof closed and air con on 

I don't know if any do have fully closed roofs?

That's the issue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, can't be arsed to Google it!

29 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

They must already air con outside areas. It’s excessive in the middle east. I went to Bahrain for the f1 in March and was shivering frequently when it was >30 degrees outside because of the excessive air con. I wore trousers and carried a jumper everywhere for when we went indoor venues. I can’t imagine how cold it is indoors in Bahrain when temps reach 50 degrees outside