Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

Formula 1 2023

2 hours ago, isaidno said:

Albon ended up in the medical centre and Stroll in an ambulance.  Alonso got burns on his backside because his car was that hot. Tsunoda tried to open his visor to let air in and got a face full of sand.

That was another thing I saw, every driver was opening their visor to get cold air in, the obvious solution would be not to race in the desert for the oil money, but even if next year the race is pushed back 6 weeks it will still be unbearable. It was 32c at 10pm at night when I checked. Their bodies just are not used to this. But regarding the visor specifically, there must be some way to design a helmet for these conditions, even if it's slightly heavier (providing the drivers necks can withstand it) that offers up just as much protection for proper ventillation, I mean even if the helmet was 5% less protected, it can't be any more dangerous than drivers opening their visor mid race or driving with their wrists/losing vision.

1 hour ago, Craig said:

I'm out here and it's been absolutely disgusting this evening - by the time I got to the bus after the race I was soaked through as was everyone else. Saw a few people being wheeled away by paramedics presumably due to heat stroke too.

It has felt a lot worse today than the previous two days - not sure whether that's due to the humidity, lack of any wind compared to Friday for example, or just the temperature. 

Today was the first day I walked past the "heat relief tent" and had to dive in there.

It's utterly unbelievable that the drivers are expected to drive in these conditions to be honest. 

Stay safe Craig, I don't need to tell you plenty of water and shade but just make sure you're safe, one thing I really couldnt understand during the practice/sprint shootout session is just how many stands seemed to be uncovered/roofless? Fans from all over the world will be travelling there that simply are not used to these kinds of intense heats and then to be expected to sit in a stand that does not have any protection is just crazy.

They really shouldn't be driving here but we know that oil money speaks and the FIA largely just pretend to care about driver safety until we talk money. I just can't imagine what it would be like for those drivers, none of them really prepared for those sorts of conditions given where most of them come from and how many years most have spent in the UK and how acclimitised they would be to our temps.

Only another 8 years of this qatar race deal to go....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Craig said:

I'm out here and it's been absolutely disgusting this evening - by the time I got to the bus after the race I was soaked through as was everyone else. Saw a few people being wheeled away by paramedics presumably due to heat stroke too.

It has felt a lot worse today than the previous two days - not sure whether that's due to the humidity, lack of any wind compared to Friday for example, or just the temperature. 

Today was the first day I walked past the "heat relief tent" and had to dive in there.

It's utterly unbelievable that the drivers are expected to drive in these conditions to be honest. 

Nice, how was it overall? Did you do a package or book it all yourself? Half fancy it next year, no other reason to ever visit Qatar and saw there were some cheap deals for this year

8 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Nice, how was it overall? Did you do a package or book it all yourself? Half fancy it next year, no other reason to ever visit Qatar and saw there were some cheap deals for this year

Reason I did it was that I was pissed off at the prices of the British GP for camping/parking, and a weekend ticket.

The ticket for the weekend was around £120 for general admission and flights and hotel were close to £500 for 5 nights - so not far off the cost of Silverstone (which is just down the road from me!) in total and a holiday with it too. Booked the hotel and flights through Loveholidays earlier this year so I was only paying a small amount towards it each month. 

We avoided all of the earlier sessions such as practice on Friday and the Sprint shootout and visited a couple of private beaches instead, then rocked up in the evening and missed the rush with the traffic too.

Enjoyed it here far more than I thought I would, pretty sad to be flying home this evening!

@cityfanlee23 although there's no cover in the general admission areas where we were, we haven't been there during sunlight so it hasn't really made too much of a difference to us. If anything it made Friday bearable due to the gusty winds - although they ran out of water (we had to have hot water from a coffee stall!). Saturday and Sunday we must have got through about 15-20 bottles of water they were handing out for free though.

The afternoon sessions must have been pretty brutal though. 

The heat relief tent was a godsend yesterday! 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Craig said:

Reason I did it was that I was pissed off at the prices of the British GP for camping/parking, and a weekend ticket.

The ticket for the weekend was around £120 for general admission and flights and hotel were close to £500 for 5 nights - so not far off the cost of Silverstone (which is just down the road from me!) in total and a holiday with it too. Booked the hotel and flights through Loveholidays earlier this year so I was only paying a small amount towards it each month. 

We avoided all of the earlier sessions such as practice on Friday and the Sprint shootout and visited a couple of private beaches instead, then rocked up in the evening and missed the rush with the traffic too.

Enjoyed it here far more than I thought I would, pretty sad to be flying home this evening!

@cityfanlee23 although there's no cover in the general admission areas where we were, we haven't been there during sunlight so it hasn't really made too much of a difference to us. If anything it made Friday bearable due to the gusty winds - although they ran out of water (we had to have hot water from a coffee stall!). Saturday and Sunday we must have got through about 15-20 bottles of water they were handing out for free though.

The afternoon sessions must have been pretty brutal though. 

The heat relief tent was a godsend yesterday! 

Nice one, so it is reasonable. I will aim for this next year. Went to Bahrain last year for pretty much the same cost all in, and proper 5* luxury hotel where the red bull engineers were staying, not European '5*'. Also just went to race day, have never bothered with practice or quali. I would never do the European races apart from Monaco, so expensive for little in return. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Nice one, so it is reasonable. I will aim for this next year. Went to Bahrain last year for pretty much the same cost all in, and proper 5* luxury hotel where the red bull engineers were staying, not European '5*'. Also just went to race day, have never bothered with practice or quali. I would never do the European races apart from Monaco, so expensive for little in return. 

The European races are actually really cheap apart from Silverstone.  I've done Monza,  Budapest,  Monaco, and Barcelona twice. Been Sepang twice too when Malaysia had a race.

I did 7 nights in Milan, flights and hotel for £400.

Barcelona was about £400 for 7 nights with grandstand tickets, flights and accommodation. 

Monaco is surprisingly cheap if you stay in Nice and get the train / bus in every day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, isaidno said:

The European races are actually really cheap apart from Silverstone.  I've done Monza,  Budapest,  Monaco, and Barcelona twice. Been Sepang twice too when Malaysia had a race.

Barcelona was about £400 for 7 nights with grandstand tickets, flights and accommodation. 

Monaco is surprisingly cheap if you stay in Nice and get the train / bus in every day.

That’s brilliant! You’ve got a good f1 cv. Sorry should’ve put my massive disclaimer against my comment. I cannot camp, stay in a hostel, share a bathroom or somewhere with a half arsed breakfast buffet. I’ve seen cheap Spain packages staying at good hotels tho. And tbf im not that big an f1 fan to go for the racing alone, would tie it in with an interesting/new city.

I’ve head similar on Monaco re price. Will look to do it through Nice in 2025. Would love to do vegas in theory, but in reality much like Miami I think I’d hate it when actually getting there and seeing/hearing the Americans 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/10/2023 at 19:23, isaidno said:

On 09/10/2023 at 20:34, grobyfox1990 said:

That’s brilliant! You’ve got a good f1 cv. Sorry should’ve put my massive disclaimer against my comment. I cannot camp, stay in a hostel, share a bathroom or somewhere with a half arsed breakfast buffet. I’ve seen cheap Spain packages staying at good hotels tho. And tbf im not that big an f1 fan to go for the racing alone, would tie it in with an interesting/new city.

I’ve head similar on Monaco re price. Will look to do it through Nice in 2025. Would love to do vegas in theory, but in reality much like Miami I think I’d hate it when actually getting there and seeing/hearing the Americans 

Do you go out there on your own, or with partners/group of mates? 

I would go, but wife isn’t interested and mates can be a tad flakey. 

But going on my own seems a bit…sad! 

Or is more of a normal thing than I’m thinking? 

36 minutes ago, Milo said:

Did Canada and Australia working as a track marshal.  Barcelona on my own and then with my mates second time. Monaco and Monza with a mate. Just got cheap apartments with my mate and stayed in back packers hostels when on my own. Don't worry about going on your own , everyone at a GP has the same interest as you. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Milo said:

Wife. She does not like sports at all but f1 is nothing to do with sport. It's glitz and glam, partying and 'lifestyle.' Austin was electric last night.

I have seen scores of people on their own at races, I am not brave or mature enough to do that. Don't be as spineless as me though, go and get involved, you will love it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Asha said:

Hamilton disqualified from the race and stripped of his p2. Leclerc also disqualified.

So this big new floor upgrade turned out to be illegal. Mercedes resorting to cheating then. lol Max is just too good for them. 

I think they just set too low rather than the new floor being illegal. It was the excessive wear on the plank that did them. 

Nice for Norris though. 

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

Not every car is checked by the FIA though. It's a random spot check as it would take too long to check them all apparently. Which is a bit dodgy really. Only 4 cars were checked out of the 17 that finished the race. 

That explains Mercedes comments that the track conditions combined with the sprint being the cause.

Taking a dig at the format.