Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Snooker 2023

Usually I start a new year thread with a post regarding The Masters...

On this occasion I’ll start with the concerning news, that Zhao Xintong has now been suspended from the WST. 

https://wpbsa.com/wpbsa-statement-3-january-2023/

That makes it ten Chinese players to be currently suspended from the tour. 

WTF is going on :nono:

56 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Jeez, someone must have a lot of power over these players.

My thinking too, someone must’ve coerced them into doing it, they can’t all be intentionally corrupt.

56 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

Thought when it happened that 9-0 win in a final against Yan Bingtao was a bit suspicious

Numerous people now looking at this match as potentially dodgy.

Fixing a match 9-0 though is as ridiculous as it comes.

Going to be interesting what comes of this. 

Are the younger players being coerced or just as guilty?

There was an interesting interview eith Ding where he said there was more money for the younger players in a shorter game (local chinese pool if you will) rather than snooker, which is putting some talented younger players off snooker in China altogether. Maybe the ones that are 'stuck' in snooker are open to taking cuts seeing as the money is relatively crap outside the top 64?

On 03/01/2023 at 14:43, Lionator said:

I believe the rumour is that Liang Wenbo has close links to some not very nice people. A couple of the younger players have said they were threatened. 

On 03/01/2023 at 17:47, Nalis said:

Going to be interesting what comes of this. 

Are the younger players being coerced or just as guilty?

There was an interesting interview eith Ding where he said there was more money for the younger players in a shorter game (local chinese pool if you will) rather than snooker, which is putting some talented younger players off snooker in China altogether. Maybe the ones that are 'stuck' in snooker are open to taking cuts seeing as the money is relatively crap outside the top 64?

On 03/01/2023 at 12:35, RowlattsFox said:

Jeez, someone must have a lot of power over these players.

My initial thought was Chinese/ s e Asian gambling syndicates. Especially given that no one has been able to get out of China for several years.  Threatening their families back home would be more likely to be successful as a tool.