Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

The ashes 2023

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

the next day and a half will show ‘bazball’ at its best or worst 

you can’t take it piecemeal - you just hope that the ups outweigh the downs - so far they have in spades 

it’s frustrating though when it plays out like this  - an old fashioned approach today without much help for the bowlers from the elements would probably have brought a lead of 300 going into tomorrow - then you take your chance with the weather allowing  enough overs to bowl them out. Probably lose a good two hours tomorrow morning with the day extended at the back end if a result looks possible. 

Gotta hope that we don’t lose this because the Aussies record at lords says we’ll be two down with three to play ! 

I agree about getting the total, but all the old-fashioned approach would have done is guaranteed a draw - getting to 300 would have taken too much time and there simply won't be enough overs to bowl them out tomorrow. Far better to have things more in your own hands than in the hands of the powers that govern the universe, even if it's riskier.

1 minute ago, Bert said:

At the minute, I think we are going to be relying on the weather to save us. 

Not sure, if we get up to 230 to 250 with the weather forecast it will be a difficult chase. 

Overhead conditions and lots of mini breaks due to the weather can cause havoc.

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

the next day and a half will show ‘bazball’ at its best or worst 

you can’t take it piecemeal - you just hope that the ups outweigh the downs - so far they have in spades 

it’s frustrating though when it plays out like this  - an old fashioned approach today without much help for the bowlers from the elements would probably have brought a lead of 300 going into tomorrow - then you take your chance with the weather allowing  enough overs to bowl them out. Probably lose a good two hours tomorrow morning with the day extended at the back end if a result looks possible. 

Gotta hope that we don’t lose this because the Aussies record at lords says we’ll be two down with three to play ! 

Not sure, at 27-2 massive pressure this morning the way Root played took away that pressure.  

How often have we seen England end up 50-5 playing the old fashion way on a day like this? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Not sure, at 27-2 massive pressure this morning the way Root played took away that pressure.  

How often have we seen England end up 50-5 playing the old fashion way on a day like this? 

Exactly - Australia went on the defensive.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Not sure, if we get up to 230 to 250 with the weather forecast it will be a difficult chase

But in order for England to win it, weather forecast works against them. 

It's all about timing. Declare (or be all out) too soon and it gives Aus enough time to chase. Declare (or be all out) too late and it allows Aus to play for the draw knowing the weather will save them, so to speak. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I agree about getting the total, but all the old-fashioned approach would have done is guaranteed a draw - getting to 300 would have taken too much time and there simply won't be enough overs to bowl them out tomorrow. Far better to have things more in your own hands than in the hands of the powers that govern the universe, even if it's riskier.

Whatever I said to you the other day about Bairstow, and the reasons he should be in the team over Foakes, please ignore. 

And if I ever offer any views on cricket in future posts, please also ignore. 

I clearly don’t know what I’m talking about. 

:thumbup:

• Haha 1

Just now, StanSP said:

But in order for England to win it, weather forecast works against them. 

It's all about timing. Declare (or be all out) too soon and it gives Aus enough time to chase. Declare (or be all out) too late and it allows Aus to play for the draw knowing the weather will save them, so to speak. 

Agreed.

I think 270 not long after tea is the sweet spot there.

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

Whatever I said to you the other day about Bairstow, and the reasons he should be in the team over Foakes, please ignore. 

And if I ever offer any views on cricket in future posts, please also ignore. 

I clearly don’t know what I’m talking about. 

:thumbup:

Not at all!

I do think there's room for both Bairstow and Foakes in this team - just give Crawley the shove.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I think a standard test match approach yields around 90 runs per session. i think a 300 lead would have been achieved. then you declare in the morning  

i think there will be far more play tomorrow than some are expecting