Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

James Justin

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Justin isn't in his natural position for starters. Doyle would be the obvious choice at left back out of the current squad, but there have been many times where Doyle has been caught out too.

Natural position or not, he's not as good a player as doyle.  I'm not sure how doyle has got this reputation for getting caught out - he wasn't great against hull and over ran the ball (after justin, dead centre, had failed to win the aerial challenge) against southampton - other than that, i can't see where these flaws are.

Also, we need to bear in mind that when doyle was playing everything was far more limited and new compared to how it is now.  The idea of doyle playing in the sqaud the the way it is  playing now is mouth-watering, whereas justin - meh - he's just doing the bare minimum.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

His attacking & natural instincts are entirely curbed in this formation. It's like asking Maddison to play left back. 

It's nothing like that - he's a left back playing as a left centre back - playing that role didn't stop doyle getting endlessly forward. the only thing holding JJ back is a lack of confidence and ability.

13 minutes ago, trugerkem said:

Never rated him…. and the amount of times he throws himself to the floor is nothing short of embarrassing 

I do like JJ, but agreed, he needs to stop throwing himself to the floor on the slightest touch. Enzo needs to make the point to him

1 hour ago, trugerkem said:

Never rated him…. and the amount of times he throws himself to the floor is nothing short of embarrassing 

Perhaps only surpassed by the amount of times he turns around and plays the ball backwards…

Having said though, I think he’s much better at RB than at LB, and is serviceable enough as an emergency/backup LB to retain in the squad.

He's done his ACL twice hasn't he?

I'm not surprised he isn't playing as well as he did before, when he earned plaudits and an England cap.

I don't think the ability is an issue, it's probably a mentality problem.

Confidence will hopefully grow and he should be getting support from sports psychologists.

He's still only 25 and wouldn't be able to imagine a life without football, he's bound to be tentative.

If he does his knee again, he knows it's pretty much over, at the very top, at least.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Like with Pereira, who knows where his talents could've took him without the unfortunate injuries.

Justin is still young enough to get better if it can be overcome, physically and mentally.

But we'll keep hold of Ricky P, who is still more than good enough to play at elite level. Just not quite enough to have fulfilled his full potential though, which is sad.

• Like 1

The thing is, he's a right back.

At Luton in league one he was a right footed left back and looked quite accomplished. In the PL, even the top players like Walker, Trippier and James aren't asked to play on their weaker side because they get caught out by top attackers. Yet because of his injuries and us having Castagne and Ricky in the RB role, he got shoehorned into LB again. Goal against Stoke aside he didn't look that comfortable there.  Now under Enzo we don't really have proper full backs so again he's having to play a new role and on his weaker foot. In a way I feel sorry for him, similar to Mendy, that because of circumstances we just never got to see in their proper position at their peak. But eventually, he'll need to adapt or he'll be replaced and moved on.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

Widely regarded as one of the best full backs in the PL at one point…which ended up getting him an England call up.

Yet you’ve ’never rated him’. OK.

Weird, but OK.

Think he was extremely fortunate to be called up for England … if I recall they had about 17 defenders unavailable …. It was either him or Kenny Sansom to get the nod 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Never rated him? don't get a job as a scout mate, the year he did his ACL for the first time he was comfortably on his way to winning player of the season.

And won a place in the England team.

If Southgate does play full backs, we've got quite a lot of talent in that area.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

Widely regarded as one of the best full backs in the PL at one point…which ended up getting him an England call up.

Yet you’ve ’never rated him’. OK.

Weird, but OK.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration - he might have been one of the better ENGLISH left backs but there were plenty of better full backs than him - and he only got his call up was because Chilwell and Shaw were injured and he'd been playing that position for us.

31 minutes ago, iancognito said:

The thing is, he's a right back.

At Luton in league one he was a right footed left back and looked quite accomplished. In the PL, even the top players like Walker, Trippier and James aren't asked to play on their weaker side because they get caught out by top attackers. Yet because of his injuries and us having Castagne and Ricky in the RB role, he got shoehorned into LB again. Goal against Stoke aside he didn't look that comfortable there.  Now under Enzo we don't really have proper full backs so again he's having to play a new role and on his weaker foot. In a way I feel sorry for him, similar to Mendy, that because of circumstances we just never got to see in their proper position at their peak. But eventually, he'll need to adapt or he'll be replaced and moved on.

You could argue that it's only because of circumstances (doyle's injury) that he's playing at all.  If he was that good on the right he'd have been pushing Faes for a start before doyle got injured, and he simply wasn't close.

VK and Thomas were loaned out because they got offers - maybe JJ did as well, i don't know - but i get the feeling enzo liked what he saw of his attitude that first day and thought he'd try him to see if he could be adapted to play in the system, but it's clear that he can't play in the CM positions or any of the front five or the vesty role - so he's basically just an odd man out that's got game time through injury.  I think we'll sign doyle and a back up in january or next summer and JJ will be resigned to just 3rd choice R/LCB positions.

35 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Never rated him? don't get a job as a scout mate, the year he did his ACL for the first time he was comfortably on his way to winning player of the season.

In the minds of some fans maybe.

This was the 20/21 season, yes? -  so after 23 games he had 2 goals and 1 assist - even if he was superb defensively (which he wasn't), he was competing against Youri (eventual winner) plus vardy with his 15 goals and 9 assists, nacho with 12 goals, maddison with 8 goals 5 assists, barnes with 9 goals 4 assists - not to mention Cags and Evans at their best - he might have got players player but no way was he better than those 7, even if he'd finished the season.

13 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration - he might have been one of the better ENGLISH left backs but there were plenty of better full backs than him - and he only got his call up was because Chilwell and Shaw were injured and he'd been playing that position for us.

No, not an exaggeration at all.

Did you start watching Leicester this year?

JJ, lets have it straight, was shite last night and has been in a couple of games recently. Slow off the mark when defending, for obvious reasons and also not natural in his passing down the left,, again for obvious reasons of being entirely right footed. He's a great pro but both wingers had him on toast and he was weak for the second goal.

When Doyle returns or this Man City fella comes in on loan then we will see him rotated on the right i believe. 

I also don't think it would be the worst thing for Vest to be booked in the next game. Would force us to give Coady a run of 2 or 3 games which could see him bed in as the passing CB, with slightly more pace than your man Jannick.

4 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

JJ, lets have it straight, was shite last night and has been in a couple of games recently. Slow off the mark when defending, for obvious reasons and also not natural in his passing down the left,, again for obvious reasons of being entirely right footed. He's a great pro but both wingers had him on toast and he was weak for the second goal.

When Doyle returns or this Man City fella comes in on loan then we will see him rotated on the right i believe. 

I also don't think it would be the worst thing for Vest to be booked in the next game. Would force us to give Coady a run of 2 or 3 games which could see him bed in as the passing CB, with slightly more pace than your man Jannick.

We don't want to bed Coady in against Ipswich of all teams. I imagine Vesty will be rested for Rotherham, purely to save him for Ipswich.