Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

James Justin

Looked really good last night and seems to be getting to grips with how Enzo wants him to play. 

I think his game time is being restricted/limited so to not risk a recurrence of serious injury, he has had a couple of lengthy lay offs so it’s good to see the club being cautious and not rushing players back too quickly, which was common practice under a cetain someone. 

last night just seemed to be cramp. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Well, obviously we're still looking at bringing in another CB.   Note that i said that he 'needs' it, not that he's going to get it.

And if he genuinely is next in line at CB then we have a real issue there, because he is not a CB - and unless he can develop into that position i don't see him having much of a future at the club.

I'd be much happier if they could bring in an actual centre back rather than use a FB with a terrible injury history that hasn't looked match sharp for years.

I know he's everybody's darling, but i think we can do much better, even at this level.

Hes being used in the "Doyle role." A position he had flourished in pre knee injury, when Rodgers reverted to a back 3 due to injuries.

Before all his injuries we all saw his potential. If he can get back to that level then he's better than this level. We've seen with Ricardo this season (don't want to jinx him) that it is possible to get back match fit again. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

Well, obviously we're still looking at bringing in another CB.   Note that i said that he 'needs' it, not that he's going to get it.

And if he genuinely is next in line at CB then we have a real issue there, because he is not a CB - and unless he can develop into that position i don't see him having much of a future at the club.

I'd be much happier if they could bring in an actual centre back rather than use a FB with a terrible injury history that hasn't looked match sharp for years.

I know he's everybody's darling, but i think we can do much better, even at this level.

Spoken as someone who has probably never rated him and isn't going to change his opinion.

• Like 2

Hopefully he's fine and it's just the exertions of a real Match. He's been very unlucky with injuries.

We know he has the ability to fill the type of role Enzo wants, We just need to get him up to match fitness level with a few cameo's in games. While also giving Doyle a little rest.

8 hours ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

Hes being used in the "Doyle role." A position he had flourished in pre knee injury, when Rodgers reverted to a back 3 due to injuries.

Before all his injuries we all saw his potential. If he can get back to that level then he's better than this level. We've seen with Ricardo this season (don't want to jinx him) that it is possible to get back match fit again. 

Probably we've now got a manager and medical team that considers the players and doesn't let them do too much too soon. Good luck to both of them because a fit again Ricardo and JJ can only be a good thing. Slowly does it. 

• Like 4

On 30/08/2023 at 00:03, ajthefox said:

I think you're being very harsh but obviously injuries are a concern as they have been with Ricardo.

Either way, he played 80 minutes tonight and looked ok.

You are quite right he is not a CB, but he is not being asked to play a traditional CB role, likewise the same is the case with Doyle. They are both full backs who are playing on the R/L of a 3. Some of the positions he took up tonight you would never be asking a Faes, a Vestergaard or a Coady to play.

I don't think i'm being harsh - I'm not writing him off completely - i just don't think he was ever as good as people remember him, and i think, as you say, the injuries have done him no favours.  If he can become a good player, i'll be happy - i just don't think he's close right now.

From the few glimpses i've had of him under maresca (haven't seen anything from tranmere) he doesn't look that comfortable playing this new position - whether he is capable of developing remains to be seen.  People screaming for him to be in the first XI are deluded.  I suspect he's still under observation as to whether there is a place for him going forward or not. Of all the FBs he clearly has the most potential to fit into maresca's system (seeing as he's the only one left), but it feels like he's still miles away from challenging Faes or Doyle for a regular spot, if he ever truly will be.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2023 at 08:25, leicesterlad1989 said:

Hmm, not sure how often he played at LCB and certainly my memory of that was a lot of balls flying over his head to unmarked wingers.  

Regardless, he's largely unproven at this position and hasn't shown any sign (performance or confidence-wise) of being close to the level he was when he was at his best.

On 30/08/2023 at 08:37, Tommy Fresh said:

Spoken as someone who has probably never rated him and isn't going to change his opinion.

Completely wrong.  I thought he was a breath of fresh air when he came in, but also that he had a lot of work to do - he was far from the finished article, but certainly looked promising.

I'd love him to become a star for us, but realistically, evidence suggests that he is nowhere near.

Just an honest assessment.  I have no agenda with JJ, he seems like a real pro and a great lad.

9 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Would he be able to play the Ricardo role?

Pretty sure enzo said no, but can't find the quote.  Certainly when he's made changes, enzo has preferred Hamza in that role (ie a CM that can cover FB, rather than a FB that can play CM).

It seems like Enzo sees he has potential but doesn't really understand where and how, right now - thus we're getting these little cameos.

11 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Dunno why but I just like Enzo. Seems like a proper manager. Tough, focussed and intelligent. Sort of the absolute opposite of Bodgers. 

Just gets on with it doesn't he. Clearly loves to coach too. Think we've got a good one to be honest.

• Like 2

Just now, Lionator said:

Just gets on with it doesn't he. Clearly loves to coach too. Think we've got a good one to be honest.

Absolutely agree. There is a calmness and steely focus about him which I like immensely. Only trouble is, if he works miracles he’ll be gone. Hopefully, by then, we will be established back in the Prem. Still, long way to go but I’m liking what I see. 

22 hours ago, Beechey said:

Just cramp

Love how to the point and honest he seems to be with his answers.

Under Rodgers I always felt like he was holding a lot back and speaking from a rehearsal of verses.. Enzo just seems to tell it how it is which is fantastic.

Glad it's just cramp, and even more so that they took him straight off with it too rather than risk an injury

• 3 weeks later...