Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

James Justin

17 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

In the minds of some fans maybe.

This was the 20/21 season, yes? -  so after 23 games he had 2 goals and 1 assist - even if he was superb defensively (which he wasn't), he was competing against Youri (eventual winner) plus vardy with his 15 goals and 9 assists, nacho with 12 goals, maddison with 8 goals 5 assists, barnes with 9 goals 4 assists - not to mention Cags and Evans at their best - he might have got players player but no way was he better than those 7, even if he'd finished the season.

He was very good defensively that year, but we all know you like to criticise the lad regardless so not sure why I'm replying

• Like 3

1 minute ago, James_lcfc said:

No, not an exaggeration at all.

Did you start watching Leicester this year?

1980 :thumbup:

I don't even think he was the best FB in our team, 

Chilwell, TAA, Reece James, cancelo, robertson, digne, shaw, wan bisakka, castagne all better full backs than Justin that season - he might have scraped into the top 10 - although i'm sure fans of other teams would probably argue the same for numerous other players.

1 hour ago, trugerkem said:

Think he was extremely fortunate to be called up for England … if I recall they had about 17 defenders unavailable …. It was either him or Kenny Sansom to get the nod 

He looked like he might get an England selection in early 2021, prior to the Euros, until he injured his Achilles in February 2021.

He got his England cap upon his return after the injury, when I didn't think he'd regained his earlier form and was still struggling. His cap probably was due to the unavailability of other fullbacks and he was dragged off at half time. Unfortunate for the lad, but at least he can say he played for England.

Edited by Plastik Man

13 hours ago, iancognito said:

The thing is, he's a right back.

At Luton in league one he was a right footed left back and looked quite accomplished. In the PL, even the top players like Walker, Trippier and James aren't asked to play on their weaker side because they get caught out by top attackers. Yet because of his injuries and us having Castagne and Ricky in the RB role, he got shoehorned into LB again. Goal against Stoke aside he didn't look that comfortable there.  Now under Enzo we don't really have proper full backs so again he's having to play a new role and on his weaker foot. In a way I feel sorry for him, similar to Mendy, that because of circumstances we just never got to see in their proper position at their peak. But eventually, he'll need to adapt or he'll be replaced and moved on.

so many wingers play on the opposite side that its far less important defensively to be outside-footed.

i think these days, the main reason full-backs play on the correct flank is to make crossing and playing in field more easy.

16 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

Some people do have short memories. I remember clearly that he was a very strong contender for our player of the season before his major injury, and this was in the Premier League.

He was going to the euros pretty much before that injury too 

19 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

Some people do have short memories. I remember clearly that he was a very strong contender for our player of the season before his major injury, and this was in the Premier League.

Agree but his injury was in like January and most thought he was out of his depth the season before and he’s never really done it since his injury. I think it’s absolutely far to give him the caveat that the injury played a big role in that so it’s not necessarily his fault, but it’s also fair to say he’s been here 4.5 seasons now only really ever had a genuinely great half season in that time here 

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, CheeseHead said:

Never really has been the same player since that injury,  still decent but has never got back to where he was.

• Like 1

What daf** are you on about? He played very well in every match he played. In the last couple of games Mavididi is not tracking back  enough making it harder for JJ to defend the same as it was with Barnes and whoever played LB. Haven't you noticed that Mavididi  is less tired and more productive lately. It's because JJ does most of the work.  

We never really had problem on the LB position, its our left wingers not putting enough effort on defense. 

I don’t rate him as the LCB in this team. Was useful before under Rodger’s but without him being left footed he really doesn’t shine in this side. Defensively looks weak. If possible I’d cash in and sign a left footed cb. Either Doyle permanently or another one with more pace. 

sad to see but nothing wrong with a player not suiting the current team. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2023 at 19:19, trugerkem said:

Never rated him…. and the amount of times he throws himself to the floor is nothing short of embarrassing 

I love venturing into threads I never normal venture into and seeing what the first unread post is.

• Haha 1

Dare I say James is starting to look like the player we knew he was going to be? He's amazing at the moment - great defensively qualties, goals, assists and I think he'll be a key player next season.

Love the fact he was training at Seagrave when Enzo was doing his first tour. Shows how much hard work is needed on the top of talent.

What a player! 

• Like 2