Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

Just now, Paninistickers said:

Subs were all correct but each introduction was 5 mins too late imo. 

Yeah true. Vardy should have been on earlier for Daka, and perhaps he may have been if he hadn't played the full game on Friday. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

The continual threat of either switching the ball or playing down the line from Doyle has been very missed. 

Doyle’s passing was very noticeable. 

Our fans had to make the players aware Abdul has acres of space. We played in a way from mid point of the first half how we should always play. Norwich are a good side. 

While we did slow down somewhat I think we were crying out for fresh legs to come on. But we pushed on for the 3rd and it clearly meant a lot to the team and manager, which is a good sign!

Just now, Lesta Legend said:

Doyle’s passing was very noticeable. 

Our fans had to make the players aware Abdul has acres of space. We played in a way from mid point of the first half how we should always play. Norwich are a good side. 

While we did slow down somewhat I think we were crying out for fresh legs to come on. But we pushed on for the 3rd and it clearly meant a lot to the team and manager, which is a good sign!

I was baffled why we weren't utilising the option earlier. 

Almost as if they wanted to lull Norwich to think we wouldn't be switching it that way. Then we basically didn't stop the tactic.

Just now, UniFox21 said:

I was baffled why we weren't utilising the option earlier. 

Almost as if they wanted to lull Norwich to think we wouldn't be switching it that way. Then we basically didn't stop the tactic.

I just assume that they needed to be instructed from the bench to do it (once it was clear that norwich were flooding the middle of the pitch as an actual approach and not just doing it to try and trap us into making a long diagonal pass 

I think we are very much robotic with our tactics 

• Like 1

Happy with the three points today although to my untrained eyes it looks like we make a lot of effort and take some risks to beat a press but having done so then then don’t take advantage but slow everything down allowing the opposition to get set with 11 men behind the ball again. 

Edited by Mike Oxlong

Doyle - brilliant, very missed.

Maresca’s subs - 🤦‍♂️ taking a couple of our two most experienced off. Should have subbed Fatawu for Justin and stuck Ricardo up there imo. Poss Mavididi for Coady. Ok I get we won but again it felt like subs for subs sake not to affect the game

Vesty / Faes - good performance but did have me worried seeing them in the line up, fair play 

Wingers - decent

KDH - lacking confidence but grew into it.

N’didi - nothing spectacular but he’s levels above this league

Winksy - solid, loved him shouting and driving the team on.

Daka - not sure

21 minutes ago, Filberts lovechild said:

Doyle - brilliant, very missed.

Maresca’s subs - 🤦‍♂️ taking a couple of our two most experienced off. Should have subbed Fatawu for Justin and stuck Ricardo up there imo. Poss Mavididi for Coady. Ok I get we won but again it felt like subs for subs sake not to affect the game

Vesty / Faes - good performance but did have me worried seeing them in the line up, fair play 

Wingers - decent

KDH - lacking confidence but grew into it.

N’didi - nothing spectacular but he’s levels above this league

Winksy - solid, loved him shouting and driving the team on.

Daka - not sure

Riccy coming back from injury. Was the right sub imho. 

2 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

But most of those players will be gone as they are out of contract or simply not good enough. 
so why are we so hell bent on a system when if he stays until next season will have to be completely restarted next year.

Because the system stays, only the players change - much better than changing the system every time you have new players.

1 hour ago, Lillehamring said:

Because the system stays, only the players change - much better than changing the system every time you have new players.

We don’t change the system regardless of the players, if we fielded 11 Danny wards he would still play the system. It’s gambling the future of the club. You play a system similar to the one you want, and over time make the transition, Klopp took 2-3 seasons to really dial in the gegenpress, even pep took a couple of seasons to build the style, today was a perfect example of what we should have been doing all season, we dominated the game because we ditched Enzoball and played direct attacking football, the only time we took the foot off the gas was in the 2nd half around the 70th minute when Norwich started to come back into it, that was the perfect moment to hold the ball and compose ourselves and it worked great for the 10 mins or so that we needed it, for 80 mins today when the vast majority of fans were excited and happy with the football, we had largely ditched the philosophy of passing the ball across the middle of the pitch to tire teams out, we were spraying balls diagonally and playing through the lines quickly. Something most of us that were complaining all season have been asking for. 

If we end up not going up because Enzo has stubbornly played a system that his players can’t play very well then he will never be forgiven. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

We don’t change the system regardless of the players, if we fielded 11 Danny wards he would still play the system. It’s gambling the future of the club. You play a system similar to the one you want, and over time make the transition, Klopp took 2-3 seasons to really dial in the gegenpress, even pep took a couple of seasons to build the style, today was a perfect example of what we should have been doing all season, we dominated the game because we ditched Enzoball and played direct attacking football, the only time we took the foot off the gas was in the 2nd half around the 70th minute when Norwich started to come back into it, that was the perfect moment to hold the ball and compose ourselves and it worked great for the 10 mins or so that we needed it, for 80 mins today when the vast majority of fans were excited and happy with the football, we had largely ditched the philosophy of passing the ball across the middle of the pitch to tire teams out, we were spraying balls diagonally and playing through the lines quickly. Something most of us that were complaining all season have been asking for. 

If we end up not going up because Enzo has stubbornly played a system that his players can’t play very well then he will never be forgiven. 

Enzo was shouting ‘Calm Down!’ after we scored the first with ~10mins to go in the first half!

Annoyed me for some reason lol - Felt like it’s the opposite of what we should be doing…We were in the ascendency, and they looked rattled.

Luckily we kept the foot on the gas as you say, and did so even after the break.

Was a good performance overall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, James_lcfc said:

Enzo was shouting ‘Calm Down!’ after we scored the first with ~10mins to go in the first half!

Annoyed me for some reason lol - Felt like it’s the opposite of what we should be doing…We were in the ascendency, and they looked rattled.

Luckily we kept the foot on the gas as you say, and did so even after the break.

Yeah I have to be honest it really frustrated me, I’m really glad the players ignored it!

12 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

10 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Yeah I have to be honest it really frustrated me, I’m really glad the players ignored it!

It was weird.

I think he was specifically saying it to Faes and Vestergaard. It's like he perhaps didn't want them smashing it to the wings each time, even though that was our productive outlet and was actually causing problems for Norwich.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

It was weird.

I think he was specifically saying it to Faes and Vestergaard. It's like he perhaps didn't want them smashing it to the wings each time, even though that was our productive outlet and was actually causing problems for Norwich.

To be honest I have considered that maybe it’s just a language barrier and he was maybe just telling them to compose themselves, don’t get carried away sort of thing, but it seems like most people saw it the same way I did that he was trying to slow us down again, some mentioned that he was having a few words with people in the stands because they were criticising the slow speed, which obviously contributes to me thinking he was trying to slow us down, hard to tell but frustrating nonetheless, they were there for the taking for a 5-6 goal game, more than happy with 3-1 though. 

• Like 1

Haven’t read back so may already have been mentioned but very disappointed to hear Enzo‘s post match comments on BBC RL that Albrighton was left out for “tactical reasons”. 

What the f**k is Marcal going to offer off of the bench that Albrighton won’t? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I'm sorry, i'm not sure what to make of this.  No, we don't change the system, that's what i said - what has 11 danny wards got to do with the side we'll have next season? - the point being, with maresca, it doesn't metter who we end up with next season we'll be targeting players who can play in the system, thus it is sensible to persevere with the system

How is having a philosophy about football 'gambling the future of the club'?  Maresca is less than a season in and so far we've seen that he is capable of changing things for certain opponents and when faced with unexpected tactics - he has a philosophy and from that comes his system - no one knows how that will develop but it seems to me a perfect approach to securing longevity rather than being a gamble - i'm honestly not sure what you're point is with that assertion.

If you think we 'ditched' enzo ball today then you haven't been paying attention, or have forgotten how we have played (not every game, not for 90 minutes) throughout the first 30-odd games of the season - this, today was enzo ball at it's very finest - patient controlled possession football and then - bam! - attack.   Yes, we were spreading balls across the park but, again, this is something we've seen throughout the season when the tactics/set up of our opponents allow it - you seem to be inferring that we've suddenly decided to play cross field balls, but we've always done that when teams have left space out wide, in fact that was one of our most common tactics early on before doyle got injured and teams started to double up on our wingers.

And, i'm sorry but this comment: "stubbornly played a system that his players can’t play very well"  - can you explain how and when this has happened - if we're so incapable of playing this system how have we ended up with a 67% win rate?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James_lcfc said:

The feeling i got about the 'calm down' gesture was less about becoming complacent and easing off and more about staying focussed and not letting the adrenalin of scoring cause us to make rash decisions; that, great, we've scored, but there's still work to be done. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

If you think we 'ditched' enzo ball today then you haven't been paying attention, or have forgotten how we have played (not every game, not for 90 minutes) throughout the first 30-odd games of the season - this, today was enzo ball at it's very finest - patient controlled possession football and then - bam! - attack.   

Bang on

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I give up with some of the guys on this forum.

We win = we ignored Enzo

We lose = ffs saw this coming, bloody Enzo ball

And I’ve given up on the same names who constantly say regardless of how we play it’s Enzoball, Enzoball has to be the most dynamic system ever seen in history. Today was absolutely nothing like what we’ve watched all seasons it was exactly what so many have been calling for for months now, the moment we do it “oh it’s still Enzoball you just don’t understand it” 

cult behaviour. 

• Like 2

Just now, cityfanlee23 said:

And I’ve given up on the same names who constantly say regardless of how we play it’s Enzoball, Enzoball has to be the most dynamic system ever seen in history. Today was absolutely nothing like what we’ve watched all seasons it was exactly what so many have been calling for for months now, the moment we do it “oh it’s still Enzoball you just don’t understand it” 

cult behaviour. 

Entrenched position, it was just like earlier in the season when things were going well.

• Like 2

He made a switch at half time that won the game for us today. I think it was going man-to-man.

In the first half Norwich were playing out from the back at will with Daka running inside a triangle of the two center halves and their keeper. He simply couldn’t stop three of them single-handed.

Second half we had them pinned in their own half and made quite a brave/risky decision to leave Vestergaard 1 Vs 1 with Sargent because the rest of the team were pushed up man for man on Norwich. 

That was difference so credit where it’s due for making that switch. A minor gripe from me that if Coady doesn’t get on the pitch with 10 minutes left defending a one goal lead then what’s the point in having him? But signs of learning and adaptability from Enzo today and that clinched the 3 points.

• Like 1