Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

On 19/03/2024 at 11:19, filbertway said:

If we don't go up I do hope Enzo sticks around.

Given that he's been such a genius getting this rag tag bunch of non league players supplemented with around 40 million pounds worth of signings, to the top of the league.

Next season when we have no money and have to sell our best assets to cut down on expenditure and also pay back Macqarie, there's no better manager to have us back challenging for a league title

Pretty sure it was explained that this is where the parachute money will go, thus why we're still right on the edge (or just beyond) our spending limit.

imo the main reason for our drop off this month has been an over reliance on the wingers. Simply put, they’ve not really been at it and our whole game plan seems to go stale without their magic.  I know it’s not going to happen but could we not play the same style but in this shape: 

Hermansen

Ricardo.   Faes/ coady. vesty.    justin/doyle

winks (holding)     kdh

fatawu.           yunus/ nacho.         mavi

vardy/daka/cannon

I just think having one more attacker/ creator in the middle would give something else for the opposition to think about. 

Ricardo could still invert and that would allow kdh to continue to roam into the oppositions box. 

Surely a style or philosophy doesn’t require an exact formation 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

imo the main reason for our drop off this month has been an over reliance on the wingers. Simply put, they’ve not really been at it and our whole game plan seems to go stale without their magic.  I know it’s not going to happen but could we not play the same style but in this shape: 

Hermansen

winks (holding)     kdh

vardy/daka/cannon

I just think having one more attacker/ creator in the middle would give something else for the opposition to think about. 

Ricardo could still invert and that would allow kdh to continue to roam into the oppositions box. 

I think it really doesn’t help the wingers when they haven’t got an obvious target in the box. An on running midfielder with some height or a striker with some weight behind him. But I agree with your idea as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2024 at 08:26, lcfc sheff said:

I think it really doesn’t help the wingers when they haven’t got an obvious target in the box. An on running midfielder with some height or a striker with some weight behind him. But I agree with your idea as well.

Finally someone who understands the game and the lack of an outlet and support for Wingers. We're too lightweight and slow both in Defence and midfield.

We've never replaced Ulloa  since he left which cost us European football not once but twice.

You've got to build the Chassis of the team first and get it right. We've played with no front end or target point for too long. These type of players are what win matches in tight games.

Look at Woods goal yesterday, A goal scored out of nothing. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Finally someone who understands the game and the lack of an outlet and support for Wingers. We're too lightweight and slow both in Defence and midfield.

We've never replaced Ulloa  since he left which cost us European football not once but twice.

You've got to build the Chassis of the team first and get it right. We've played with no front end or target point for too long. These type of players are what win matches in tight games.

Think Enzo wants to replace the need for height with the use of cut backs, which we did for a bit and then stopped weirdly and I am  not condoning this approach but this was my belief in what he wanted as a trainee Pep.

12 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

What I found particularly baffling yesterday was not taking advantage of winning the ball on the high press. 

Hamza would be really aggressive and push up, often resulting in winning the ball high up the pitch. But instead of going for the jugular whilst they're out of position, we'd just keep the ball and build up play slowly. 

Made zero sense at all to me as high pressure is high risk, high reward, but we just completely ignored the reward.

Hamza was one of our better players yesterday. I watched a lot of Hamza when he was in the development Team where he played in a more advanced midfield role.

He was excellent at hunting down the Ball and winning it back. Yet no manager seems to have learned that about him. He's also got better in possession of the Ball.

I'd like to see him play in the 8 role doing exactly that, Winning the Ball high up the pitch and starting attacks from there. Instead of inviting the opposition on to our box.

Where once again it broke down again on Friday.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Think Enzo wants to replace the need for height with the use of cut backs, which we did for a bit and then stopped weirdly and I am  not condoning this approach but this was my belief in what he wanted as a trainee Pep.

I'm not sure though I think it might be more to do with the lack of Money and our failure to be able to sign players.

I'd really like to see Enzo have a window where he can sign a few players of his own choosing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Hamza was one of our better players yesterday. I watched a lot of Hamza when he was in the development Team where he played in a more advanced midfield role.

He was excellent at hunting down the Ball and winning it back. Yet no manager seems to have learned that about him. He's also got better in possession of the Ball.

I'd like to see him play in the 8 role doing exactly that, Winning the Ball high up the pitch and starting attacks from there. Instead of inviting the opposition on to our box.

Where once again it broke down again on Friday.

Not sure about your view of one of our best on Friday, but I think you're on to something when you say get him winning the ball higher up the pitch. He has the energy and drive and his main fault, attention lapses, aren't as costly there.

• Like 3

On 20/03/2024 at 18:33, Lambert09 said:

Hermansen

winks (holding)     kdh

vardy/daka/cannon

No point In us playing wingers. We break to slow and they end up with no space.

The two lines of four are set up by the opposition before we get the ball out of our own box.

Exactly the same as Rodgers ball. To slow and we never up the pace. So very predictable and boring to watch but Enzo won't change.

Lots of us seen this before the Stoke game. But Enzo went baby like and said he would walk. Shame he didn't as he's done nothing to fix or alter our system that's broken.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sylofox said:

No point In us playing wingers. We break to slow and they end up with no space.

The two lines of four are set up by the opposition before we get the ball out of our own box.

Exactly the same as Rodgers ball. To slow and we never up the pace. So very predictable and boring to watch but Enzo won't change.

Lots of us seen this before the Stoke game. But Enzo went baby like and said he would walk. Shame he didn't as he's done nothing to fix or alter our system that's broken.

I don't think this is the case though. Most of the Bristol game, Fatawu wasn't running into the space down the line, so the sideways passing resulted in him receiving the ball 10 yards over the halfway line, but often static,. 

This allowed the fullback to do a dual block on both Fatawu and Choudhury/Ricardo/Wilf by taking up a conservative position at 45 degrees and a few yards from both. 

If Fatawu had pushed for that space, the fullback would have had to commit to a man, which would have left space for a midfielder in between the fullback and central defender. As it was, Fatawu was no threat at all and even if he had the ball, was starting from a standing position and the defender could close him down. 

Where he had success earlier in the season was when he pulled defender wide to create indecision and space, which resulted in gaps to be exploited for passing. By being passive and not pulling the defender wide, it makes it trivial to cut out the through balls we thrived on. 

It's absolutely not rocket science and Albrighton is still effective at it by shifting the ball quickly and wrapping his foot around the cross, so the defender has to go tight to try to cut it off. He doesn't need to fully beat the defender, just provide the threat of the cross. 

Fatawu and Mavididi are both playing scared keep-ball as they are probably lambasted by Maresca if they don't cut back and recycle possession endlessly. It stifles their instinct and desire to go at players and it makes us run out of space. 

Go back to pulling the defenders out wide, commit to runs, and see the space open up in the channels again, you nobheads. 

Edited by Flappit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

We hardly score from corners. Seems basic and a waste.

I saw an item that pointed out that very few teams scored from corners regularly now and it was something to do with a rules and how teams can now defend corners much better. It seemed to make sense to me.

19 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I saw an item that pointed out that very few teams scored from corners regularly now and it was something to do with a rules and how teams can now defend corners much better. It seemed to make sense to me.

Teams can defend corners better because defenders are allowed to block and grapple with impunity.

You see the smallest defender marking a player who is dangerous in the air by just grabbing and holding .

If they started awarding penalties for fouls in the area this garbage would soon stop.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Cannon?

7 minutes ago, notnow john said:

Teams can defend corners better because defenders are allowed to block and grapple with impunity.

You see the smallest defender marking a player who is dangerous in the air by just grabbing and holding .

If they started awarding penalties for fouls in the area this garbage would soon stop.

And Wout would be suspended constantly.

Edit: after a second's thought I'm all for it

Edited by Bourbon Fox

4 minutes ago, Bourbon Fox said:

Cannon?

He's only a young lad starting out and he seems more of the modern style of attacker. He's more for next season and beyond if he makes the grade.

I think what we need is a Howard type, all knees and Elbows. with the height to win headers close to goal.