Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

FoxesTalk Discord?

Discord Use  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a Discord server for live text chat channels?

• Yes, fairly often
    • Occasionally
    • No
  2. 2. Would you use FoxesTalk VC to play games or just casually live chat with other FTers?

• Yes, fairly often
    • Occasionally
    • No

Toyed with putting this in Suggestions or General Chat but figured this would be the best place to start to gauge some initial interest. This hasn't been done before, right? I'm not being thick? 

I love forums, as much as we all take the piss out of it sometimes, I do love Foxestalk, I'm not looking to take away from it at all. But technology moves on all the time and loads of communities across the internet these days use Discord to add live chat and voice to their communications. 

Would there be any interest in having a foxestalk Discord? Obviously besides just general chat or LCFC chat there's clearly a lot of gamers on here, would people get use out of voice channels and be interested in playing games together? I see there's a fair few Diablo players about for example.

@Mark tagging you for visibility because even if you didn't want to be involved, it occurred to me you might rather we leave the foxestalk name out of it. Or maybe you like the idea and would want to be actively involved. Up to you. Ofc this could just be a complete flop with no response anyway. 

Edited by Finnegan

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

I'd join, probably.

Did FoxesTalk once have a chat feature or am I thinking about the old planetfootball forum off the official website back in the day?

It did yes. It was a cesspit lol

• Haha 3

On another forum I used, similar to this but smaller they moved the whole thing to discord, sacked it off a month or so later and the forum's never quite been the same since, but now they run both - I dunno I can see it maybe working for some but didn't really do it for me, I kind of prefer having posts documented if that makes sense lol I need my receipts!

4 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

On another forum I used, similar to this but smaller they moved the whole thing to discord, sacked it off a month or so later and the forum's never quite been the same since, but now they run both - I dunno I can see it maybe working for some but didn't really do it for me, I kind of prefer having posts documented if that makes sense lol I need my receipts!

"My mate's the ref tonight" but instead of being immortalised here it gets lost in "the chat" somewhere.

• Like 1

Yeah the intention would not in any way be to replace foxestalk or move it entirely to discord. For a start, I love forums and love that this place is a bit of a last refuge for the format really. 

Moreover I don't think foxestalk really has anywhere near the right demographic to see anywhere near the majority want to actually partake in a Discord server long term, hence asking in this sub forum really more than anything, especially if people would actually use it to game together. 

I'd do it for gaming or even foxestalk gaming.

Mainly play FIFA or COD MW II. 

Few mates of mine play MWII but not as regular as I do, wicked when we're all on and we aren't bad can hold our own pretty well. 

If anyone wants to join me for a few games then feel free to do so

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

Yeah I think a Discord channel would be fun

Depending on the game I might use voice chat as well

I haven't played COD in years so I expect the abuse I would get would be deserved though lol

With my eyesight and reaction speeds these days COD would be a harrowing experience.

Do they still have Bouncing Betty's?

Also what's Discord and where I am?

I have often thought an ft discord could be good. But I think overall it could split the community and dilute the forum. So while I would use it a discord server for ft. I actually would would vote against having one.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a thought :D Ok, they may be few and far between but...

If a bunch of foxytalk people got together and say all donated an amount, divisible by £140, 1 person (maybe the one who has the server or hosts the call) could buy the foxeshub pass & stream the game each week, would save many people buying it & allow for international members to join.

Obviously wouldnt want to get Mark into trouble so it perhaps wouldnt be a specific Foxestalk one. 

Streaming over Discord is just like watching TV as long as the streamer doesnt have shit connection, i stream movies with my bf once a week since he lives in France and the quality his end is the same as the quality my end. 

Would obviously depend if anyone is interested. Tagging @Finnegansince you was the one initially mentioning it for your thoughts.