Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicesterpool

Greatest Football Manager Of All Time

Best manager, SAF. 

Best head coach, Pep. 

The job has completely changed between their generations, SAF was almost the last of a dying breed by the time he retired. Modern clubs have a vast corporate structure with a whole host of different roles. As much as everyone loves to credit Pep and Klopp and Co with various transfer dealings, it's not their wheelhouse. They're there to coach the first team. 

By contrast, SAF didn't really do a lot of that. Keano has talked a lot about how Ferguson didn't really actually coach, he delegated that, had other staff for that. His job was to manage everyone in the most literal sense. He was a man manager, organiser, decision maker, he basically ran the club. United were so reliant on him to do a lot of the off field stuff that it's arguably set them back a generation after his retirement. 

In terms of teaching players or tactical awareness, SAF couldn't lay a glove on Pep, he wouldn't know where to start. But he didn't need to. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2

I think Klopp deserves an honourable mention. 

I'm not saying he is the best manager of all time, but his achievements shouldn't be ignored. Dortmund were regularly finishing mid-table in the Bundesliga in the mid-2000s and had finished as low as 13th just before Klopp took over. He went onto win back-to-back Bundesliga titles breaking Bayern's dynasty and getting them to a Champions League final. He got Liverpool to three Champions League finals, won a Champions League won a Premier League and had them in with a genuine shot of a quadruple. The main thing standing between him and an even impressive medal collection is a state-backed (possibly rule breaking) club managed by Pep Guardiola, who is undoubtedly a genius. 

For me to be considered a great coach you must tick these boxes

-Won more one league in a numerous countries

-Won more than one domestic trophy numerous

-Won the champions league

-Had success at a smaller club with a smaller budget.

-Been a success in international management 

-Been sacked less than twice

Anyone whose done that

Whilst others have achieved more in terms of trophies, in terms of the English game, I think Wenger is worth a mention.

There's obviously the invincibles and a double double.

But he absolutely revolutionised the game.

He changed the culture of the sport in this country and arguably made the Premier League what it is now.

As far as impacts that managers have made as a whole, I really don't think you can look beyond him.

Maybe slightly straying from the question, but deserves a shout.

And I'm surprised by everyone on here saying Pep.

I thought he got slated for only doing it at the biggest clubs, with the biggest budgets?

Pep inherited an incredible team from Frank Rijkaard at Barca, people sometimes forget that.

Ferguson built probably four world class teams at United, yes, he had a big budget too and constantly broke transfer records, but to be at one side for so long and constantly evolve the squad is some achievement. 

There are others across Europe, spanning decades, that should be mentioned too...Like I mentioned about Wenger above, Cruyff changed the philosophy of Barca.

Jock Stein, Trappatoni, Ernst Happel, Hitzfeld...

Otto Rehhagel surely deserves a mention too. Lightning struck twice with K'lautern and Greece. 

Funny contrast to Ranieri who as we all know failed miserably with Greece before the miracle...

He’s certainly not number one, but I do feel Wenger deserves to be in the conversation.

When he arrived in England he changed the game for the better and made players more professional. I think his last days at Arsenal mean people forget just how good he was in the early days there. 

On 18/07/2023 at 05:50, GlenParvaFox said:

1. Sir Alex Ferguson

2. Pep Guardiola

3. Nigel Pearson

The first 2 on that list are not even on the same page when it comes to being able to handle media and answer questions.  Nigel always gives a proper no holds barred answer.  It's something we are missing in football these days lol