Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicesterpool

Greatest Football Manager Of All Time

Interesting topic the other day with my "Football friends!"... discussing who is considered the best football manager of all time. Based British manager's below is interesting.

Typically Sir Alex Ferguson was popular however, one remembers he spent nearly 30 years managing the same club. Could Sir Alex have got managing in a different country, like say Sir Alex at Real Madrid?

Brian Clough again, for me the best ever English manager possibly even ahead of Sir Alf. Which is controversial. Reason for Brian Clough took two unfancied teams from the second division to the top division and won the league in small space of time and one of them he lead to back to back champions league (European success). However could Brian have cut abroad?

Sir Bobby Robson, possibly few English managers to go abroad and be a success. Took an unfancied Ipswich side to the top division and lead them to European success. Managed England to a semi final of a world cup, best since 66. Won league titles abroad in Holland and Spain. Only English manager to win a lead title in Spain I believe. 

Portuguese Jose Mourhino, Won the European cup I believe with three different clubs. Number of league title's across europe also. Question could he gain success as an International Manager? Always had a big budget. 

At the moment still cannot decide though who sticks the greatest, whose everyone else's. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

I might go with Ferguson, as much as I dislike him. I think his task at United was tougher than what Guardiola had to face at City, and his success at Aberdeen was also remarkable.

Trapatonni and Ancelotti won everything, multiple times, and in different countries. Lippi, del Bosque and Ramsay won both at club and international level. Ramsay won the league with Ipswich and the World Cup with England, the only time either side has done that.

Clough probably deserves to be in the conversation but there are things he's remembered for not doing as much as what he's done. 

1 hour ago, bovril said:

I might go with Ferguson, as much as I dislike him. I think his task at United was tougher than what Guardiola had to face at City, and his success at Aberdeen was also remarkable.

Trapatonni and Ancelotti won everything, multiple times, and in different countries. Lippi, del Bosque and Ramsay won both at club and international level. Ramsay won the league with Ipswich and the World Cup with England, the only time either side has done that.

Clough probably deserves to be in the conversation but there are things he's remembered for not doing as much as what he's done. 

This.

Some will say Pep for the way he's changed and evolved his teams but he's had the easiest route & biggest budgets in the league throughout his management career. If he could do it at a lesser successful club then I'd put him first.

• Like 1

A lot of the current managers say Sacchi in terms of modernising the game, essentially the first manager to implement a philosophy in a team. 

But the answer is that there is no ‘greatest ever manager’ as it’s not a measurable question. 

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Guardiola

Despite his questionable ethics, he's certainly up there as one of the best ever. I would love to see him manage a country, or a club in Serie A, it would be interesting to see how he'd get on without limitless financial resources. 

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

A lot of the current managers say Sacchi in terms of modernising the game, essentially the first manager to implement a philosophy in a team. 

But the answer is that there is no ‘greatest ever manager’ as it’s not a measurable question. 

Rep point for Sacchi.

My knowledge of football outside of England and Italy is zero. Best manager ever is probably some Romanian guy from the 60s that invented the sweeper or something 

Ferguson currently, but you have to think by the time Guardiola calls it a day, he'll have a far better record. The football is astonishing too, and he's basically shaped the modern game. Would have liked to have seen what Guardiola could do at a smaller club, without big budgets and world class players, but there we are.

Herbert Chapman rarely included in these debates. Tactically innovative. Two consecutive titles and a FA Cup with Huddersfield. Two consecutive League titles and Cup with Arsenal. 

If Guardiola pulls off a consecutive fourth title this forthcoming season, he becomes the greatest in the context of English football. I think he’s got some challenges this season with Man City and squad personnel.