Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Arjan Raikhy

Football is littered with players deemed not good enough by one academy who then go on to quite successful somewhere else.

Admittedly, this guy is exactly classed as a youngster in today's modern game but give the kid a chance.

There are so many variables to the reasons we're signing him. It could be that we've seen something in him that might mean he pushes for a 1st team spot, or it could be that we've got someone else in the youth teams that needs some competition to push them on and help their development. 

Don't know why anyone would be so bothered by a signing like this, I'm surprised there's even news about it, usually these would just slip under the radar and hardly anyone would know about it. I mean, I probably wouldn't turn my nose up at what his wage is likely to be, but I don't think it'll make much difference to our budget, so what's the issue? 

• Like 1

On 24/07/2023 at 16:43, CosbehFox said:

Think you are thinking too deep if you think a scout has been involved here. 

Then who was sent out to “scout” him..This wasn’t decided in a one off card game in a dark corner in a pub..Somebody would have taken a look see.

And not Betty the tea lady

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Football is littered with players deemed not good enough by one academy who then go on to quite successful somewhere else.

Admittedly, this guy is exactly classed as a youngster in today's modern game but give the kid a chance.

There are so many variables to the reasons we're signing him. It could be that we've seen something in him that might mean he pushes for a 1st team spot, or it could be that we've got someone else in the youth teams that needs some competition to push them on and help their development. 

Don't know why anyone would be so bothered by a signing like this, I'm surprised there's even news about it, usually these would just slip under the radar and hardly anyone would know about it. I mean, I probably wouldn't turn my nose up at what his wage is likely to be, but I don't think it'll make much difference to our budget, so what's the issue? 

Not sure about that, someone at the club clearly has Villa connections whether its Petty or someone in recruitment but they seem to have no ideas whatsoever other then just to take shit from their old club who they either know or has been recommended to them. Just demonstrates a complete lack of ideas.

We are a club that had been on top of Aston Villa for the best part of 10 years but year on year we end up with fodder they deem not good enough. Wonder what clubs take our academy cast offs, i imagine its almost entirely clubs that are about the 1/4 of the size of us, not one that up until now has been in the same division. Just really wish the club would recognise how important churning out academy players is for our future by heavily investing in its recruitment and the coaching staff so we have a top class academy to go with the top class facilities. 

Edited by South Shire Fox

Just cope on top of cope. Signing Villa cast offs has contributed to finishing bottom by 9 points in the PL2.

inb4 ”yOuTh DeVeLoPmEnT iSn’T aLl AbOuT wInNiNg” like losing most weeks helps.

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Then who was sent out to “scout” him..This wasn’t decided in a one off card game in a dark corner in a pub..Somebody would have taken a look see.

I wish it was Betty, statistically she has just as good a chance as finding a gem as our current scouts! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

...there is a noticeable trait to pulling youth players from one club, and that is a red flag that should not go unnoticed!!!

Is this due to their academy (Villa) being seen as the Premier club academy in the region, or that we are so lazy that we choose not to wander too far in case we get lost? We are constantly looking to Southampton for players and now we are focusing on Villa as a recruitment drive.

Derby had Ebiowei who went to Palace for free when we were crying out for someone, anyone to take up the Right Wing birth.

I have no problems with bringing players in, it is the policy we are using that worries me.

12 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...prior to Braybrooke and Alves getting injured, we were still just as bad!!!

The loans were a move in the right direction, it did have an effect on the squad last season where we played age-appropriate players and not the overage players, in an attempt to win the league.

But there was a long list of injuries, if i recall, and with so many out on loan, we were having to play players that simply weren't good enough.

1 minute ago, Lillehamring said:

But there was a long list of injuries, if i recall, and with so many out on loan, we were having to play players that simply weren't good enough.

...the most salient point was that the team was now age appropriate!!!

We did bring in some players that were younger than the requirements but we never looked like a football team. Individuals playing together without shape and out of position. We never brought in a striker, we had Popov who we messed around and he, unfortunately, did pick up a long-term injury, but even when he was playing, there was not a coherent supply that he could feed off.

The whole place should be overhauled with a new approach put in its place. We have struggled to develop players to come through and the ones that do, always seem to bypass the U21s in order to show their potential.

10 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...in the early clips of the players who had returned for pre-season, Petty could clearly be seen in the training sessions with Maresca in charge!!!

What I would hope to see would be a transition to the same style of play as the first team being implemented in the U21s. We need to establish an identity and get the club to play the same all the way through to the U15s. The ladies' side may look to adopt the same style as well.

not inconceivable that the same malaise BR brought to the first team, had a knock on effect on the way Petty did his job - maybe our new philosophy will free him up to develop players more roundly?

6 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

He’s a player that the Under 21s manager is aware of as they were both at Villa 

There’s so many variables involved in a youngster growing into a good player  that I really don’t think we, as fans, should concern ourselves so much with who we recruit as there are so many different factors that can make a player blossom. Maybe go to some u23 games this season to get a better idea of  who might make it

Happy to see a brown lad get a chance. Means a lot to our community to see that and give others hope!

Work hard and who knows, it might pay off. If not, wish him well wherever his football journey takes him. Hopefully he is our next diamond in the rough though!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MPH said:

There’s so many variables involved in a youngster growing into a good player  that I really don’t think we, as fans, should concern ourselves so much with who we recruit as there are so many different factors that can make a player blossom. Maybe go to some u23 games this season to get a better idea of  who might make it

...we have been limited by the number of televised games for the U21s last season, and I suspect the same thing will happen again!!!

There are many posters on here who look forward to taking in a U21 game, and they give their appraisal of what they have seen. Things like a Karamoko Dembele situation would make you want to go down and see for yourself what all the talk is about.

What is happening in the academy is very much something that is important to keep an eye on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

BuT wHaT aBoUt VaRdY

Vardy was 16 When released and he was on a upward trajectory when we signed him.

Too good for Halifax

too good for Fleetwood.

this lad approaching 21 has been released after 2 loans in the conference 

• 3 weeks later...