Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Will1981

Harry Winks

8 hours ago, Guest said:

It's by far the most football he's played in a season as well. If he plays a half against Blackburn he'll pass the 4000 minute mark and his previous highest in a season is just over half that. No surprise at all he's looked a bit leggy at points.

Thank god for Seagrave lol

10 hours ago, Guest said:

It's by far the most football he's played in a season as well. If he plays a half against Blackburn he'll pass the 4000 minute mark and his previous highest in a season is just over half that. No surprise at all he's looked a bit leggy at points.

Excellent point, it's no wonder he dropped off a bit. We do need someone who can play understudy/rotation with him, whether that's Braybrooke, Sensi or somebody else.

A fit and firing Winks has been unplayable at times. If we can keep him in as good a condition as possible, hopefully he'll have another fantastic year next season.

Posted (edited)

"I've never experienced anything like this..." Yeah, coz you were at Spurs, mate.

He has been a great signing for us and he has embraced the club so well

Fair play to the bloke. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Guest leatherhead32
On 01/05/2024 at 08:35, fox_up_north said:

Whatever happens next season, we'll need cover for him. Can't do a repeat of this year. 

8 fewer games and better refs could be ok but still a well made point and always good to have cover.

Ran the lad absolutely ragged, considering his fitness record in the last five years. Honestly amazed that he managed to get through it. 

Also genuinely surprised how much I came to like him early on in the season. I was deeply skeptical, not because of the fitness concerns, but coming from quite probably my most despised football team. 

Same again next season, please. 

• Like 2

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/harry-winks-makes-chelsea-point-9268382?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2Y0JeQ2QrE_qJ2Gj1Gb1B5S4XcDzBrRRmDDykwp03QYLjqEzQ25xOa2lY_aem_AYhGaIMT6rCrTdb7ziqf2hUeehQYcAUa06CJ-yEoQyPrwGJUd0906lNzdbRHbNpZdB7nSWqzEyal0p4aJUiG8viF

Harry Winks makes Chelsea point over Leicester City's Premier League credentials
The midfielder looks ahead to how City will cope in the top flight and reflects on his first year at the King Power Stadium, one that resulted in his first trophy

ByJordan Blackwell
10:46, 7 MAY 2024

Harry Winks feels there is proof already that Leicester City have what it takes to survive in the Premier League.

After the celebrations come the holidays, but in a few weeks’ time, Enzo Maresca and the club will begin to prepare for the transfer window. Shortly after, the fixtures will be released and the squad will return for pre-season training.

Thoughts then turn to how City can keep themselves in the Premier League. Maresca has already outlined that survival is the aim, with the club not in a position to think beyond that. That’s not only because of the points deduction they may start with, but also because of the leap in quality between the divisions.

This season, the three promoted clubs are on course to come straight back down. If not for Nottingham Forest’s points deduction, Luton and Burnley would be mathematically relegated by now, alongside Sheffield United.

But Winks is confident. Not only do they have an abundance of top-flight experience within the squad, but the FA Cup run, in which they faced two Premier League sides, gives the midfielder belief that City have the quality to hold their own too.

“We played Bournemouth and we won and we matched Chelsea at Stamford Bridge for a large period of the game,” Winks said. “So with the manager – we’ve got such an incredible manager – I believe next year we’ll hopefully be okay.

“When you play in the Premier League, it’s a level apart. It’s a completely different physicality of football. You need to understand how the game works, and be intelligent and clever in games.

“And we've got enough of that in the squad. We’ve got so many players of Premier League quality and with Premier League experience. So I like to think hopefully next year, we'll be okay.

“It’s the epitome of football. It's where everyone wants to be. And I can't wait to go back there. And especially with Leicester, because it's a club that deserves to be in the Premier League.”

Winks himself already has six seasons of Premier League football under his belt with Tottenham and he could have been playing there this year too had he waited longer into the summer to see the offers that might come his way. But City and Maresca’s keenness to sign him convinced him to drop down a division, and it’s made for the best campaign of his career.

No City player featured more often in the Championship this season, Winks missing just one of the 46 matches, while both of his goals were late away-day winners at QPR and West Brom. Plus, he finishes the season with the first trophy of his career.

He said: “It's been an incredible season. I've enjoyed my football. I've enjoyed playing for, in my opinion, a Premier League club that needed to get back. And I’ve been fighting every day to achieve something special with a great group of lads at a great club. And so it makes it a little bit more special.

“The Championship is such an incredible league, it doesn't get the respect it deserves. You can see with Leeds and with Southampton being in the play-offs, two teams that would also have wanted to go up after going down last year. So it just shows how tough the league is. Anyone could beat anyone.

“I didn't see it as a risk (dropping down) but as a stepping stone where I just wanted to enjoy my football and play for a great club and a great manager. And this year has been probably the best season of my career.

“It's what every player wants in their life, to win a trophy and to win a medal. To be standing here as champions is something I'm really happy that I've achieved in my career.”

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Langston said:

I like the sentiment but Chelsea battered us and should've been out of sight before they conspired to score a ridiculous own goal.

Chelsea have battered a few teams this season. We actually competed alright that game. We performed well against Bournemouth. I think there is hope there, but its all going to be about survival.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Chelsea have battered a few teams this season. We actually competed alright that game. We performed well against Bournemouth. I think there is hope there, but its all going to be about survival.

I know they have - they doesn't really change my point? I don't think that game should be used as a yardstick for our quality. We weren't very good.

Edited by Langston

41 minutes ago, Langston said:

I know they have - they doesn't really change my point? I don't think that game should be used as a yardstick for our quality. We weren't very good.

Then use the Bournemouth one, of the Southampton games, or the Norwich games.

Just do yourself a favour and dont use the Plymouth game.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/harry-winks-makes-chelsea-point-9268382?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2Y0JeQ2QrE_qJ2Gj1Gb1B5S4XcDzBrRRmDDykwp03QYLjqEzQ25xOa2lY_aem_AYhGaIMT6rCrTdb7ziqf2hUeehQYcAUa06CJ-yEoQyPrwGJUd0906lNzdbRHbNpZdB7nSWqzEyal0p4aJUiG8viF

Harry Winks makes Chelsea point over Leicester City's Premier League credentials
The midfielder looks ahead to how City will cope in the top flight and reflects on his first year at the King Power Stadium, one that resulted in his first trophy

ByJordan Blackwell
10:46, 7 MAY 2024

Harry Winks feels there is proof already that Leicester City have what it takes to survive in the Premier League.

After the celebrations come the holidays, but in a few weeks’ time, Enzo Maresca and the club will begin to prepare for the transfer window. Shortly after, the fixtures will be released and the squad will return for pre-season training.

Thoughts then turn to how City can keep themselves in the Premier League. Maresca has already outlined that survival is the aim, with the club not in a position to think beyond that. That’s not only because of the points deduction they may start with, but also because of the leap in quality between the divisions.

This season, the three promoted clubs are on course to come straight back down. If not for Nottingham Forest’s points deduction, Luton and Burnley would be mathematically relegated by now, alongside Sheffield United.

But Winks is confident. Not only do they have an abundance of top-flight experience within the squad, but the FA Cup run, in which they faced two Premier League sides, gives the midfielder belief that City have the quality to hold their own too.

“We played Bournemouth and we won and we matched Chelsea at Stamford Bridge for a large period of the game,” Winks said. “So with the manager – we’ve got such an incredible manager – I believe next year we’ll hopefully be okay.

“When you play in the Premier League, it’s a level apart. It’s a completely different physicality of football. You need to understand how the game works, and be intelligent and clever in games.

“And we've got enough of that in the squad. We’ve got so many players of Premier League quality and with Premier League experience. So I like to think hopefully next year, we'll be okay.

“It’s the epitome of football. It's where everyone wants to be. And I can't wait to go back there. And especially with Leicester, because it's a club that deserves to be in the Premier League.”

Winks himself already has six seasons of Premier League football under his belt with Tottenham and he could have been playing there this year too had he waited longer into the summer to see the offers that might come his way. But City and Maresca’s keenness to sign him convinced him to drop down a division, and it’s made for the best campaign of his career.

No City player featured more often in the Championship this season, Winks missing just one of the 46 matches, while both of his goals were late away-day winners at QPR and West Brom. Plus, he finishes the season with the first trophy of his career.

He said: “It's been an incredible season. I've enjoyed my football. I've enjoyed playing for, in my opinion, a Premier League club that needed to get back. And I’ve been fighting every day to achieve something special with a great group of lads at a great club. And so it makes it a little bit more special.

“The Championship is such an incredible league, it doesn't get the respect it deserves. You can see with Leeds and with Southampton being in the play-offs, two teams that would also have wanted to go up after going down last year. So it just shows how tough the league is. Anyone could beat anyone.

“I didn't see it as a risk (dropping down) but as a stepping stone where I just wanted to enjoy my football and play for a great club and a great manager. And this year has been probably the best season of my career.

“It's what every player wants in their life, to win a trophy and to win a medal. To be standing here as champions is something I'm really happy that I've achieved in my career.”

The championship is an incredible league and the football is miles better to watch than the boring, corrupt, inciped PL.

• Like 2

It feels great to have a player the calibre of Winks seemingly so pleased to be playing for us, especially as he's come from Spurs, I hope he's instrumental in a good season next season and has a good career playing for us, has Captain potential 

• Like 1