Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Will1981

Harry Winks

26 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

Surprised more haven’t commented on how poor he was last night?

I don’t actually know what he’s offering at the moment.

He’s not playing those quick balls forward to break the lines, defensively he offers very minimal protection and a big part of why we consistently concede (not as guilty as Faes for that but worth noting IMO).

He was given a ludicrous yellow card early on, which probably severely impacted his performance thereafter.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

Surprised more haven’t commented on how poor he was last night?

I don’t actually know what he’s offering at the moment.

He’s not playing those quick balls forward to break the lines, defensively he offers very minimal protection and a big part of why we consistently concede (not as guilty as Faes for that but worth noting IMO).

I agree. Think he's looked very average of late. Doing the bare minimum for me. He's more than capable of picking a pass between the lines. But happy to defer to shovel ball. Whole midfield were catatonic last night

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

The lack of dynamism is why he wasn't picked up by a PL team in the Summer - And why a lot on here were a bit underwhelmed by the signing.

Good player, but a bit limited. Wonder what the promotion bonus is on his salary, knowing us it will be decent!

I think that’s unfair he’s a conduit for a possession based game, which means he will have limitations, but his main attribute is to keep the ball moving and link everything together. Similar to a David Silva. However, when the movement around him is as bad as it is at the moment, he’s going to struggle. Problem with Winks is, he will try and over compensate for this when the team isn’t playing well, and hit doesn’t work, he’s not the type of player to take a game by the scruff of the neck…. That job falls to KDH. 

• Like 1

I'm really not sure what to make of Winks at the moment, I started off thinking he was wasted at this level, and I still think he could easily slot into a bottom half prem team, but I'm not sure if we have just overhyped him or if we have hampered his ability with the inverted full backs which often results in a congested midfield. 
I think he's been great for us overall, but I do feel like there are many other midfielders who could do similar at this level, and I think that is purely because his options are limited when we congest the midfield. 
He's made 3538 pass attempts this season, 2764 of them (78%) have been sideways or backwards, 17 shots (35% accuracy), 6 through balls. Are we hampering him? 

5 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I think that’s unfair he’s a conduit for a possession based game, which means he will have limitations, but his main attribute is to keep the ball moving and link everything together. Similar to a David Silva. However, when the movement around him is as bad as it is at the moment, he’s going to struggle. Problem with Winks is, he will try and over compensate for this when the team isn’t playing well, and hit doesn’t work, he’s not the type of player to take a game by the scruff of the neck…. That job falls to KDH. 

I commented just after you and I think you've hit the nail on the head here, he does try too hard, but I think often he does that because the vast majority of his passes (78%) are sideways or backwards, IMO because the inverted wingers result in opponents congesting his area of the pitch limiting his options. I think this is a fault of ours as a system rather than Winks as an individual. It's hard to tell how good he could be if given space and freedom during a match. 

He started the season so well but he has made a few more mistakes recently (like the rest of the team), which for his own very high standards, shows up more.

He's played a lot of minutes so wonder if some tiredness is also setting in.

Edited by pkonline

Surround him with better/creative players and he'll flourish. 

Overall he's been superb. Had a bit of a patch where he became ineffective but could have been a factor of fatigue or other players missing. He and Ricardo form a great partnership in midfield. 

• Like 3

He’s always going to look less effective when we lose. His performances are consistent it’s just the narrative is different.

He has the ability to do more with the ball but the manager isn’t asking him to.

Reminds me very much of Tielemans. Passes the ball like a metronome and lovely to watch.

BUT he’s not blessed with pace and if you put our midfield under pressure, he tends to wilt.

Cattermole jokes aside, I still think City need a narsty bar-steward in the middle. Someone who is a natural leader and who picks the team up when it’s struggling.

But like Rodgers, Enzo seems to refer his ‘nice players’.

I think an on-field leader has been missing from this team for quite a few years.

Very very good player who it think is being brought down by the players around him.

However, he needs a very physical and athletic defensive midfielder (like the old Ndidi) to play at the base of the midfield with him in the premier league otherwise he will get exposed defensively.

No doubt there’s bigger problems in the squad, but I’m rather surprised more fans haven’t called him out for the lack of his defensive work. 

He is part of the reason why we’ve been far too easy to play through recently, his defensive work is seriously shoddy at times. 

He is the perfect midfielder when you want to control possession, which is clearly the main reason why we signed him, but once our midfield is carved open you can see his flaws. 

What we lack is a ball winning midfielder who is also good in possession. 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, if we get promoted they’ll be many games where we won’t get away with having Harry Winks as our holding midfielder. 

• Like 2

He has to accommodate others in the team BUT if he bought into the Leicester story and journey this season, and I generally really rate him highly, looking for more defence splitting passes but aside from that, he's fine.

BUT this is an England International with history in Serie A too, just turned 28.

IF we don't go up where does the last 5 years of his career go??? 

So under those auspices, get driving this team forward player, whether leading by example OR by cajoling the others for ONLY 5 GAMES!!!!, maybe even 4 might do it!!!

You can lead them to the top flight, WANT to make it happen!!!