Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Your best and worst purchases

2 hours ago, westernpark said:

Best Purchase- my Dog, for £550, circumstances wouldn’t allow for a rescue, but they will next time.

Worst Purchase- a Madri in 2021. First and last.

21 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I gave Madri a try last year. £6.50 I think it was, awful price for a pint. It was awful and I didn’t drink anymore than about 10% of it. I don’t get the hype.

Horrible beer.

And the bloke on their logo looks very unlikeable too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

That looks perfect, thanks.

Did you fit it yourself? If so, was it pretty straightforward?

I removed my dashcam when I sold my car recently. Easy.

I've installed it in the car I have now, following instructions on YouTube and it wasn't difficult. It took about 45 mins. It's fairly easy to hide wires behind interior trim and door seals as long as the fuse box is in the front or under the dash and you have an earth connection that you can use. That might mean a self tapping screw to connect the earth to the metal of the bodywork.

If the fuse box is elsewhere, such as in the boot, the wiring routes become more difficult.

Halfords now charge £50 for fitting BTW. 

• Thanks 1

On 01/09/2023 at 15:51, Izzy said:

That looks perfect, thanks.

Did you fit it yourself? If so, was it pretty straightforward?

You fit it yourself and it gives you a guide and tool to chase the cable up into your roof fabric and down through the glovebox. It took around 15 minutes. 

Only advise I would give is that you can buy a suction cup extention instead of the sticker one that comes with it. I would recommend buying the cup. 

• Thanks 1

On 01/09/2023 at 12:38, Itsthejoeker said:

We bought an a pressure cooker/air fryer/rice cooker/ slow cooker combo with a voucher for our wedding recently. The best thing I've ever bought, not sure how I've been without one my entire life.

I would love to see this! Do you have a link at all? 

19 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

I would love to see this! Do you have a link at all? 

https://www.johnlewis.com/instant-pot-duo-crisp-8-11-in-1-multi-cooker-air-fryer-7-6l-stainless-steel/p5101905?srsltid=AfmBOoreHDoWlV5TeNNGuysHLZs4vsu8gSe3m_GPiK-tbOqKbZqqEy0jVdM

worth every penny, we batch cook a lot so bought the big none but there's a smaller one too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Itsthejoeker said:

I'm going to have a look at this. One of the reasons I've not bought an air fryer (and it feels like we're in the second wave of everyone buying them) is we've already got a criminally underused slow cooker taking up space on the work top so something that does EVERYTHING and sits there gathering dust is surely progress

17 minutes ago, outfoxed77 said:

Best = My VW campervan, paid £2000 for it plus a fair bit more getting it converted. I've been all over the UK and Europe in it on some amazing adventures.

Worst = Probably the Ukelele I bought thinking I would learn it, it; still in the garage never been out the box!

I'm probably not best placed to comment on this as I'm already fairly proficient on the guitar but playing a ukulele is a piece of piss compared to a lot of instruments.

George Formby wasn't daft, get on it

• Like 1

On 04/09/2023 at 10:29, Itsthejoeker said:

Been given the green light to invest in this. Thank you for the recommendation! 

Best - my dog who is now 6, serious character and been so many places with us. Was expensive due to the breed but so happy we got him.

Also best - Home gym equipment (power rack, full set of Olympic weights, dumbbells, smaller barbells, lat pull-down machine and different accessories). All in all I would say cost about £2k about 10 years ago. Saved thousands on gym memberships. Also easier to workout when it’s at your house.

Worst - Nothing massive stands out, just a few shit clothes purchases and spending loads on random nights out and beers etc. Actually some Hoka mid walking boots which I got but can’t wear as they proper hurt. 

Not read every post in this thread so don't know if it's been said already but best definitely my ninja air fryer. 150 notes but barely used the oven since, the things brilliant and cooks everyrhing to perfection. 

Worst probably all the rayban sunglasses I constantly lose. Decent glasses but I go on a night out and rarely return home with the, total waste of money. 

Best: first house, a little terrace that with some work became the deposit for our now family home

Worst: Spent a lot of time leasing cars as I get a car allowance, and fancies a change so got a Honda Civic, was a pos, felt like it was made of bacofoil 

Wouldn’t say kids endless crap prebirth is the worst, but it certainly is a load of unnecessary uninformed junk

Best in terms of sense of well-being - no question, the heat pump

Edited by Dahnsouff

Best - Go pro camera. Was skint a few years back, and bought it from Jessops on finance for 10 months. Opened up my eyes to see the world and then began a brand new career, of which I still have today. Allowed me to leave a job which I hated and was full of stress! 

Worst - Going to be the one who says it, the engagement ring. I'm happily married now, but my wife was one person who always wanted to get married, and I was the opposite. I gave in (as i'm a soft sod) and the moment of getting engaged is 100000 times better than the realisation that you have to get married. We got engaged at Eilean Donan Castle, overlooking the Scottish mountains and lochs, and it was a place incredibly special for her. But the thought of marriage terrified me, and despite being married now nothing has changed to how we were previously. For me it was the most pointless thing I've ever spent a significant amount of money on, the engagement ring and the wedding. We'd lived together for some time too, so it wasn't like I was going anywhere. We did have a rather modest registry office wedding, and a small party/get together at home. But I refused to pay for anything for my suit as I thought it was a waste of money. It attracted more arguments planning the wedding than if we'd not bothered. 3 days before the wedding I had a 'one man stag do,' where I went to Weymouth to just get some headspace.  But yeah, 6 months on nothing has changed from how my life was before.  :ph34r:

Worst:

My first 2 cars, both were from private sellers

Fiat Punto that somehow only lasted 11 miles drives home, even though we had also done a decent test drive and check on it previously - seller edited the advert heavily after selling it to cover himself, however I had already got a copy of the original advert

Vauxhall Corsa that came with a full new 12 month MOT, the car lasted 11 days, took it to a garage and it definitely shouldn’t have been given an MOT

Took both sellers to court and got all my money back for both, never going private sellers again

Had 2 cars since from reputable garages and have never had issues with them

Best:

Probably my aquarium I got in lockdown for my turtle, had smaller tanks previously but decided to go all in and get a 240L 1.2m long one, absolutely love it

Unfortunately my turtle passed away a couple of months ago but now I am completely re-doing it for fish (I was able to have fish before but it had to be ones I didn’t mind my turtle eating lol)

Spent a lot of hours on it since I have had it, never been fed up with it, and really looking forward to seeing what I can do with it now

Edited by moore_94