Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Your best and worst purchases

Not so much necessarily about the favourite things you've bought, but what proved to be a good buy that gave you great value for money, and what was a total dog that you wished you'd never spent your hard earned cash on?

I'll start.

Good: Ray-Ban wraparound sunglasses, purchased in 2007 and not quite fallen apart yet. I've never found an alternative I like more, so when they give up the ghost I'll be stuck because I'm pretty sure they've been discontinued

Good: Soundmagic E10 inner headphones, lasted about 6 years and survived at least two washing machine cycles

Bad: Son's Nike lunchbox, not only the most expensive lunchbox ever (25 quid! Of his mum's money not mine) but gloriously poorly designed, featuring fabric on the INSIDE of a food container, and couldn't go in the dishwasher. Within weeks a stained, food encrusted threat to human health that couldn't be cleaned properly, and whilst he loved it at first, even my son came to hate it and no tears were shed when it finally went in the bin at the end of last term

Bad: Peugeot 306. Scraped money together to buy a newer, more expensive car than I thought was sensible at the time, only to endure four years of almost comical unreliability, expensive repairs, failure of replaced components and imagination defying customer service from a franchised dealership. Replaced with Vauxhall Astra (!) that was the best car ever in comparison

• Like 1

I bought a Bellfield parka on sale from Asos some 7 or 8 years ago for £80 (iirc), it's incredibly warm and utilitarian. Still going strong.

A railcard, probably saved thousands.

Nothing stands out as terrible purchase, thankfully.

19 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

You bought a radar key ffs

Yeah it was about £6 and I gave it to my mum, didn't have to file for bankruptcy. Your best purchase is every new pair of boxers after shitting behind tesco's bins

• Haha 3

Best: pellet smoker, ex display for about £300 that would have been a grand.  Use it all the time, rain or shine.  Everything is better smoked.

Worst: 1998 souped up jeep XJ.  An absolute midlife crisis of a purchase, a beast of a vehicle.  Justified (in my own head, but really a mere fig leaf of an excuse) due to my rural location and flooding and snow that had prevented me getting to  work several times and left me stranded once.  This thing was supposedly the king of fording and loved snow.

After buying had the two mildest driest years I can remember ofc.  

Maintenance and petrol costs were horrific.  I swear you could physically see the needle move on the petrol gauge as you were driving it.  Stupid raised suspension made it a terrible drive as well even with a steering bar or whatever they are called.  Eventually the immobiliser packed up and turns out with the model I bought it's nigh on impossible to sort out.  Went for spares and repairs.  

Best for everyone including the environment.  Lesson learnt.

Edited by Bordersfox

Best: Inov-8 X-Treme 220s. Bought what feels like a decade ago but probably more like 7 years? 

Originally bought them for road running but they're so comfortable they ended up being my main day to day trainers any time I need to walk anywhere (I walk everywhere, don't drive.) Been with me all over the world, genuinely must have walked further in them than any pair of shoes I've ever owned. Finally starting to show some wear and tear now. Bit gutted. Inov-8 don't make them anymore, seem to have dropped out of the road market a bit. 

Worst: I've since replaced it but my previous gaming laptop was an MSI Dominator. Biggest piece of shit I've ever owned. About two grand of completely abysmal build quality and utterly appalling design choices, in particular it was incapable of cooling itself sufficiently even out of the box which meant it was constantly throttling from day one. 

I know pc gaming snobs like to pretend that's just all laptops but as someone that's had four or five now, narh, utter bollocks. Currently have a Acer Predator that's not far off one of my favourite ever possessions. The MSI was especially bad. 

Best - Dashcam for sure. If anyone ever hits you it's recorded there and then and saves a heck a load of hassle. Also people seem to clock it and not drive as much as dicks I have noticed.

Worst - loads of uneccersary clothes and toys for my first child. You need a lot of clothes as they grow obviously but spending like £60 on a pair of converse because they look cool and they grow out of them in weeks was just a waste of money. Also how many toys you get that are just unplayed with is just unreal. 

• Like 1

Bought a eurohike tent for £40, I did 13 weeks worth of festivals working in it and numerous trips away after that. Fraying in a few places now so I'm going to upgrade but great value for money.

iPod Nano 4th gen. Got it in Jan 2010 and I still use it on long journeys in the car as I don't have a bluetooth radio. It'll play for about 3 hours now on one charge but doing anything on the menus rinses the battery. I was technically an adult (just) when I got it, it's seen me through all sorts of ups and downs and gone abroad with me everywhere I've been in that time. I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to throw it away when it does eventually die.

Best - Adidas coat bought in a sale 40 plus  years ago still wear it.

Worst - too many cars, I guess the worst was a Hillman Avenger Estate from Browetts seemingly a reputable company, 3 months warranty (that was par for the course for 2nd hand cars) Engine  blew up after 5 months, took it back to Browetts paid a lot to have replaced by a refurbished engine as I couldn't get a new one which packed up again after a few months. Took it to another garage who showed me it had never been refurbished. The other garage said as it was supplied to them they weren't responsible for it and I could get in touch with their supplier

10 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

Best - Dashcam for sure. If anyone ever hits you it's recorded there and then and saves a heck a load of hassle. Also people seem to clock it and not drive as much as dicks I have noticed.

Worst - loads of uneccersary clothes and toys for my first child. You need a lot of clothes as they grow obviously but spending like £60 on a pair of converse because they look cool and they grow out of them in weeks was just a waste of money. Also how many toys you get that are just unplayed with is just unreal. 

Oh Christ yes. It starts before they're even born doesn't it? There's a whole industry that convinces you there's a ton of stuff you need and you feel the pressure to get it all before they arrive.

It's a brave man or woman that says 'sod that' and waits until baby is born to work out what's actually required

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

Which one have you got?

I need one front and rear but no idea where to start really. Budget about £300 for both

One of the best things, that’s now turned into nothing but a massive waste of space in my shed this year is my inflatable hot tub

Absolutely unreal in lockdown 

Now it’s too expensive to run and the weathers been shite in any case

I bought a really good air rifle once, thinking I’d use it loads but haven’t. Only keeping it now to use in case I get burgled again

My electric drum kits been another waste of money too, because I’m still as crap as I was aged 15

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Oh Christ yes. It starts before they're even born doesn't it? There's a whole industry that convinces you there's a ton of stuff you need and you feel the pressure to get it all before they arrive.

It's a brave man or woman that says 'sod that' and waits until baby is born to work out what's actually required

I was young too so had more money than sense. Mama's & Papa's exists solely to trick first time parents into thinking you need so much stuff that you just don't need. 

• Like 1

Barbour jacket - was expensive at the time but 12 years later and still going strong same with Ray Ban sunglasses wore them all over the world and still going strange about 15 years later. 

Agree about baby stuff for first born. We paid about £300 for a swing chair, she used it about 5 times and now it is in the garage and cant shift it - nobody wants second hand baby stuff! 

Probably the best thing though wasn't something i purchased but it was a rucksack my late great Nan brought me. Think it was about 2000 Nike SB rusksack for when i went snowboarding in Canada for the first time. The bag is bombproof I'm sure of it! never let me down and i think i have taken it on every trip i have ever done UK or abroad. Its probably classed as vintage now! 

1 hour ago, westernpark said:

Worst Purchase- a Madri in 2021. First and last.

I gave Madri a try last year. £6.50 I think it was, awful price for a pint. It was awful and I didn’t drink anymore than about 10% of it. I don’t get the hype.

Best: The house we live in.

Worst: There's been a few poor buying decisions but the first that springs to mind is a 2nd hand Renault Scenic circa 2008. An absolute lemon and a nightmare for reliability. Cost us a fortune in maintenance.