Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Marmite

Mobile Phone Addiction

I felt like I used mine a lot a while ago So I put the screen time checker on my phone. You can put a limit on and you can find out your usage..what apps you use the most etc. I don't mind if it's for a reason, rather than mindless scrolling.

Sometimes my screen time is more than I like, but this gives me a reason to work out why it is. For example buying presents, cards which take time to customise..or getting car insurance quotes etc.

I'm the type who always wanted to have his computer and Internet connection always available, and I've found it's super convenient even if I'd easily fit the definition of too much screen time, but I can also happily turn it off for a film (which is more than most can manage it seems), or leave it on charge while I go to an event, so I can't say addicted, I just like the convenience.

4 hours ago, Tommy G said:

I need an alarm to wake up, no I can’t just wake up. Not sure if you are a parent or a parent where kids have shit sleep patterns but mine can wake up for four hours at a time sometimes, so the alarm is there to wake me up again lol

No not a parent but maybe it is a skill I have. If I need to wake up at a certain time I just can. 

Spend all day at work with Teams, Slack, Skype, God knows what else pinging away, so my phone goes in another room with Do Not Disturb on at night

Edited by Dahnsouff

On 05/11/2023 at 21:10, Facecloth said:

I've started leaving my phone in another room at night. 

I’ve been doing that for years!

I have a charge stand in the hallway and leave it there…

Also would recommend using the do not disturb function as the constant buzzing and beeping can be very distracting 

2 hours a day on average for me…. Still way too much and would like to reduce it further 

I've removed myself from most social media, so that temptation is no longer there for the most part. Facebook, Instagram and Twitter are absolutely insufferable nowadays. 

I do spend too much time on it before I go to bed, though. I still use Reddit, so that's a particular vice. 

Also terrible habit of reaching for it whilst watching TV or films just to read about the show, or a particular subject. It drives my partner up the wall. 

I also love a Wikipedia rabbit hole. 

31 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I've removed myself from most social media, so that temptation is no longer there for the most part. Facebook, Instagram and Twitter are absolutely insufferable nowadays. 

I do spend too much time on it before I go to bed, though. I still use Reddit, so that's a particular vice. 

Also terrible habit of reaching for it whilst watching TV or films just to read about the show, or a particular subject. It drives my partner up the wall. 

Yep. Also guilty of reaching for phone to read about the tv show I'm meant to be watching and Wikipedia trap

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Surely being on Reddit counteracts any good that leaving other social media would have done :D 

21 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Surely being on Reddit counteracts any good that leaving other social media would have done :D 

God-awful memes, thickos, vapidity, toxicity, endless dogshit ads, scripted videos, clickbait, ragebait, and generally people absolutely desperate for clout. 

At least on Reddit I might stumble across an picture of an interesting rock or something. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Haha 1

Come to Australia where for 12 hours our second biggest provider was offline and had no idea why.... total fvcking shambles, no flight tickets, 2 factor doesntr work if you cant receive message, so you cant open another provider... cant buy anything.

fckin mess

I would like to go back to an old style Nokia, so just good for calls/texts.  Pathetic to say but I am addicted to the apps, everything from checking my fantasy score to the new tastecard.  I don't think I can do without it now, as some apps are essential like the live national rail app(I commute 3 times a week).

On 06/11/2023 at 17:52, Unabomber said:

No not a parent but maybe it is a skill I have. If I need to wake up at a certain time I just can.

On 06/11/2023 at 18:19, Tommy G said:

That’s a superpower 

I don’t think it’s that uncommon, tbh. 

I’m the same - I’ve not used an alarm for years. 

(Very occasionally I might set it, but I’ll wake up anyway 10 minutes or so before it goes off). 

After watching,'Social Dilemma' on Netflix I have cut my screen time down. If I had a spare minute while waiting for the kettle for instance I'd pick it up and look at crap. Sadly didnt work for my daughter tho who watches a film while scrolling through shit the whole way through.