Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Marmite

Mobile Phone Addiction

Anyone else feel like they spend too much time on their phone's?  Sometimes I wake up in the morning and the first thing I do is pick up the phone and scroll through random stuff, I just feel it’s more of an habit and I’m trying hard to cut my screen time down. 

everything nowadays just seems to go through your phone so it’s a hard habit to break. 

• Like 2

Just now, Marmite said:

Anyone else feel like they spend too much time on their phone's?  Sometimes I wake up in the morning and the first thing I do is pick up the phone and scroll through random stuff, I just feel it’s more of an habit and I’m trying hard to cut my screen time down. 

everything nowadays just seems to go through your phone so it’s a hard habit to break. 

Is it a social media addiction or just general phone addiction? 

Just now, Marmite said:

I would say no but I’m replying on my phone whilst attempting to watch black mirror on Netflix. 

5 minutes ago, Marmite said:

I’m terrible for it

I have sleep apnoea too, so often pick it up in the night, which is the worst thing I can do

• Like 1

I make sure I never have my phone in the bedroom. I leave it downstairs in my office to charge overnight so I'm not temped to read it in bed.

I tend to spend most of the day doing VC calls over a big screen so mainly use my phone when I'm eating or on the bog etc. 

I don't have screen time set on my phone but guess it's probably 2-3 hours a day. No idea if that's normal or not.

10 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I’m terrible for it

I have sleep apnoea too, so often pick it up in the night, which is the worst thing I can do

I've started leaving my phone in another room at night. 

• Like 1

It's really quite common.  Most people believe that they spend too much time on their phones and lots of people spend too much time on them without even knowing.  Google "Mobile Phone Usage Deloitte" - every year they produce a survey about mobile phone usage and over the years there's been some real interesting stats.  The amount of people who check their phone within the 5 minutes before falling asleep and are back on it within 5 minutes of waking up is staggering.

I have now downloaded an app called Minimalist Productivity Launch - it's free and essentially turns your phone into a fairly boring, more functional space.  Apps are just listed alphabetically (you can have favourites on your home screen).  It's all black and white - no colourful icons to entice you in.  Once inside the apps themselves it looks the same.  One nice little feature is that the amount of time you spend on each app is shown on the home screen.  I recommend giving it a try - it still takes will power to stay away, but it can help - my TikTok use has fallen off a cliff.

I'm pretty good at putting my phone on charge/away from me during working hours (I'll look at lunch but even then I'll go for a walk so it'll be intermittent) but have it on vibrate so I can hear it in case of emergencies or calls. Haven't logged into any form of social media on my work laptop so there's no temptation there to idly scroll through anything. I'll come on here every few hours if I have a work lull.

I never find at the end of the day I feel deep regret at having missed anything on social media or by not having my phone to hand all day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Do people who leave their phones in a different room have an old fashioned alarm clock to wake up?!

I have a day light alarm clock. It gradually lights up as your wake up time approaches.

17 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Brand? Do you find it works well 

There's lots in Amazon, you can get them from anything like £20 to near £150. Mine works fine for me but there are one with more features like noises to assist you getting to sleep.

7 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Why do you need an alarm? Can’t you just wake up? I plan my wake up time and then just wake up when needed. 

I work shifts so my wake up time changes really.

My phone is left on the floor though, I check the time on it if I get up in the night or if I wake up earlier than the alarm.

27 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I work shifts so my wake up time changes really.

My phone is left on the floor though, I check the time on it if I get up in the night or if I wake up earlier than the alarm.

Yeah but just wake up when you need to, easy... 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Why do you need an alarm? Can’t you just wake up? I plan my wake up time and then just wake up when needed. 

I need an alarm to wake up, no I can’t just wake up. Not sure if you are a parent or a parent where kids have shit sleep patterns but mine can wake up for four hours at a time sometimes, so the alarm is there to wake me up again lol