Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Job Hunting

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Second interview after 100+ applications last week, found out it was unsuccessful today.

Not an easy game, is it?

It's just hard luck, really.

One unsuccessful one towards a successful one, etc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Second interview after 100+ applications last week, found out it was unsuccessful today.

Not an easy game, is it?

Did you get feedback? If not, ask for proper feedback (a feedback call preferably). Knowing where you went wrong might help the next one be a success!

4 minutes ago, bmt said:

Did you get feedback? If not, ask for proper feedback (a feedback call preferably). Knowing where you went wrong might help the next one be a success!

Not quite the right amount of the right experience despite an impressive CV, apparently.

Not sure what I can do about that.

17 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Not an easy game, is it?

It's bloody tough out there, Job hunting is incredibly demoralising.

I've noticed a lot of jobs advertised internally and externally being lined up for people already 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Not quite the right amount of the right experience despite an impressive CV, apparently.

Not sure what I can do about that.

For that job, nothing. But that's only that job. I know that not letting endless rejection grind you down is one of the hardest things in the world, but I hope you can manage it. Sounds like you're doing what you can to get a job you want - making sure you go for anything and everything that might suit. It'll come mate, it'll come.

In the meantime, for what little it's worth, your contributions on here are extremely valuable, and highly valued. Not least by me because I discovered Kurzgesagt due to a post of yours, and Kurzgesagt is awesome.

But I digress. TL:DR - Chin up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Civil service/HMRC/DWP are great in terms of opportunities, progression, job security, generous holidays and pension. It’s also not really that hard to get a job there as there are so many and the criteria are so clearly pointed out you can practice everything before hand and basically smash it after a few goes. Honestly to get in HMRC as an E O really isn’t that hard and you’ll be on upwards of 30,000 from the get go, and if you have experience within certain industries and a specific skill set then getting jobs as a HEO or SEO isn’t entirely difficult and also the progression there is almost guaranteed. To anyone struggling to find a job I would highly recommend looking on civil service jobs.

23 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Not an easy game, is it?

I haven’t applied for as many as you but having the same luck whilst looking for that career job. Having to do some unpaid work in the field I want to work in, it’s not ideal but since I have started that and put it on applications, I’ve had more success. I did really well at University, even won postgraduate academic awards but my experiences have indicated how pointless a degree is on its own. Good luck.

Applying for say, 100 jobs is inevitably going to lead to a high amount of rejections. A great candidate for one role will be an unsuitable for another 20. 

Tailoring a CV for each role or at least to each sector is essential.

I left my job of 14 years (first job) and have changed 3 times since. Always feels far easier to find a new job while you’re employed.

It does help I work in a sector that is massively understaffed and you don’t have to be that good (too many niches to be an expert in more than a few) to land a job that pays well.

One thing I don’t understand..About 3 yrs ago

I was watching a UK programme,on various job situations,

Job levels requested needs and qualifications,also lower needs

no qualifications required..

What I didn’t understand for apprenticeships

they were asking for University education.

When I took my apprenticeship as well as others,they took

a dual work & college,/technical college education.Plus some

friends I knew who got a grant,with parent financial backing went into

a full technical college education,often young people who missed out

on reaching Uni-standard grades.Or young foreign migrants who wanted

it to find a job later in what they were studying..While still in my apprenticeship

near the end,I met an Asian girl,working/studying at the British shoe corporation, 

but also separately took another course at Tech.college,which would widen her scope.She was a conscientious hard working ,May I add beautifull lass.

Are these type of colleges still ticking over and existent  .??

I haven’t interviewed a would be applicant from UK or future colleague for 25+yrs.

10 yrs retired..All my younger relations go to Uni,or have a job where

details I am not acquainted to…Too many years away..Plus I was that bloody  long lost uncle travelling around somewhere

Edited by fuchsntf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For those looking for work just make a quick note of what industry or line of work your looking at getting into.

It might help those in work direct you to an Avenue which might help you👍🏾

Good luck to anyone, and TRY not to get too down hearted.

when I was starting out in looking for work in the late 80's in print I must have had 20/30 letters sent( no emails then!)and only a few replies back.

Had loads of interviews but nothing and nearly gave up trying to get into a predominantly  white male working environment.

Eventually got a job where I stayed for 26 years.

Keep your chin up

Edited by Raj
  • Like 1

Hard to keep going when you see 100s (sometimes 1000s) of others applying for the same job. No wonder it's almost impossible to snag an interview.

Hoping for better luck tomorrow, attending a job fair for over 60s. If the employers attending are serious in seeking candidates, could be a good opportunity to put my case forward. 

• Like 4