Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Splinters

When I was young I was forever having to have splinters extracted from my fingers, feet and knees. 

Why don’t splinters exist anymore and why did I used to get them? It’s not like the world was made of wood and now it’s made of PVC. 

I don’t know how old you are, but when I was young (I’m 78) many more things were made of wood. In addition, technology for smoothing and planing wood was much less sophisticated, so rougher wood was used more widely.

My skin (like yours) was much softer when I was a kid. Getting splinters, cuts and bruises is nature’s way of toughening you up for life’s slings and arrows.

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

When I was young I was forever having to have splinters extracted from my fingers, feet and knees. 

Why don’t splinters exist anymore and why did I used to get them? It’s not like the world was made of wood and now it’s made of PVC. 

I wish it was made of PVC.

Phwooar, eh!?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LanguedocFox said:

I don’t know how old you are, but when I was young (I’m 78) many more things were made of wood. In addition, technology for smoothing and planing wood was much less sophisticated, so rougher wood was used more widely.

My skin (like yours) was much softer when I was a kid. Getting splinters, cuts and bruises is nature’s way of toughening you up for life’s slings and arrows.

Outrageous!

1 hour ago, LanguedocFox said:

Not as old as you, but we had carpets so how was I always getting splinters in my feet?

I was still getting splinters into the 80s. I can remember this being one reason I got hooked on Swiss Army knives because the tweezers were so handy. 

I spent sixish years pretty much permanently barefoot in South America across the 90s & 00s, on wooden floors, not one single splinter. 

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Was the solution for one of your parents to poke it out with a needle? Why they did this rather than grab it with tweezers, which definitely did exist in the late 70s/early 80s, I've no idea.

Also, a tiny splinter in your skin is a great thing to look at through a microscope, it looks like you've done yourself a mortal injury 

4 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Was the solution for one of your parents to poke it out with a needle? Why they did this rather than grab it with tweezers, which definitely did exist in the late 70s/early 80s, I've no idea.

Also, a tiny splinter in your skin is a great thing to look at through a microscope, it looks like you've done yourself a mortal injury 

Yes, it was always a dirty needle. 

My wife got them too in the early 90s and I’d use dirty needle therapy on her too. 

I really don’t understand how it all stopped. It’s like the millenium banished splinters and there’s a conspiracy not to discuss it. 

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Not as old as you, but we had carpets so how was I always getting splinters in my feet?

I was still getting splinters into the 80s. I can remember this being one reason I got hooked on Swiss Army knives because the tweezers were so handy. 

I spent sixish years pretty much permanently barefoot in South America across the 90s & 00s, on wooden floors, not one single splinter. 

Surely you must have incaed some splinters?

I remember getting splinters from an old wooden slide when I was a kid. I grew up in Wales -  my Dad was in the AirForce and there was this children’s playground  near to the air base.  Got warped due to the weather, I guess..Also split my head open falling off the play frame onto some glass on the concrete. Happy days.