Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AlexFT

Stadium Thread

There have been some comments recently on other threads about the look of the ground inside and out. So just felt it warranted a dedicated thread for further thoughts, suggestions etc.

As I see it, there's a lack of pride in the stadium amongst fans due to its lack of character, which then feeds into the atmosphere on matchdays. Going back to earlier years, there was more originality about Filbert Way. Sure it's a modern style stadium but there's much more that could be done to enhance the feel of the place. It's not as if these changes would be huge undertakings for the club either. Ultimately though there has to be enough of a want from the club's side.

Edited by AlexFT
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlexFT said:

There have been some comments recently on other threads about the look of the ground inside and out. So just felt it warranted a dedicated thread for further thoughts, suggestions etc.

As I see it, there's a lack of pride in the stadium itself due to its lack of character, which then feeds into the atmosphere. Going back to earlier years, there was more originality about Filbert Way. Sure it's a modern style stadium but there's much more that could be done to enhance the feel of the place. It's not as though these changes would be huge undertakings for the club either. Ultimately of course there has to be enough of a want from the club's side to facilitate any alterations.

It's because it's more King Power than Leicester City FC

• Like 4

Just now, Aus Fox said:

In all seriousness, I would love a few statues around the place - Banks handing the ball to Shilton, Arthur Rowley - top scorer in English football history, Matt Elliot holding the Worthington Cup or Martin O’Neil with the Coca Cola cup, Wes Morgan lifting the Premier League, Kasper with the FA Cup - something that celebrates the rich history we have in English football.

If we had those do you think people would stop leaving on 85 minutes?

• Haha 1

Just now, Chelmofox said:

Even earlier to get their selfie with Kasper before the crowds. For the 'gram. 💁‍♀️

2 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Nah, they’d be like those bollards in the street that raise up from the ground. On 80 minutes Rudkin will flick the switch and they’d come up blocking all the exits and forcing fans to stay.

The noise they make trying to leave would spur the team on to victory- it’s genius!!

17 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

In all seriousness, I would love a few statues around the place - Banks handing the ball to Shilton, Arthur Rowley - top scorer in English football history, Matt Elliot holding the Worthington Cup or Martin O’Neil with the Coca Cola cup, Wes Morgan lifting the Premier League, Kasper with the FA Cup - something that celebrates the rich history we have in English football.

Don't have to be statues. Wall sculptures would look great. Not sure that King Power understand this type of thing though unless it involves selling merchandise. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Has anyone ever thought about switching the Kop with the family stand?

dont start people off, cant do that cos of where the holding cells are

think the seats within the ground need a clean up or something, starting to look tired and dated

• Like 2

What I want to know is ...

How much did we have to pay the architects for the original stadium design ?

I bet it was loads of money, when all they had to do was the following:
 1.  Open Southampton_FC_new_stadium.doc
 2.  Edit all occurrences of 'Southampton' to 'Leicester City', and 'red' to 'blue'
 3.  Save document
 4.  Print.

:)

• Like 1

It might not be the most characteristic stadium in the world, but it's certainly no worse that at least 90% of other stadiums.

On a slight side note, but almost related....The pitch has never looked a patch on what it used to ever since the head groundsman left for Man City.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

What I want to know is ...

How much did we have to pay the architects for the original stadium design ?

I bet it was loads of money, when all they had to do was the following:
 1.  Open Southampton_FC_new_stadium.doc
 2.  Edit all occurrences of 'Southampton' to 'Leicester City', and 'red' to 'blue'
 3.  Save document
 4.  Print.

:)

Designed the others too

• St Mary’s Stadium in Southampton • KC Stadium in Hull • Ricoh Arena in Coventry • Pemberton Stadium in Llanelli • Turf Moor in Burnley • 

Hopefully the expansion finally gives the stadium a finished look.

It's improved though. Remember before we got promoted when the side of the stadium was adverts for the university and Mark's Electricals flanked by bare concrete?

Edited by Danizen

Biggest issue is the lack of acknowledgment of our history but that’s not just the stadium but the club in general, outside of a podcast appearance and the odd retro shirt you’d think the club did nothing until 14 years ago

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

Yes. Because if we had that many they wouldn’t physically be able to get out! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, adejo92 said:

It might not be the most characteristic stadium in the world, but it's certainly no worse that at least 90% of other stadiums.

On a slight side note, but almost related....The pitch has never looked a patch on what it used to ever since the head groundsman left for Man City.

Very valid point regarding the pitch but does it get used a lot more now the ladies play at the KP or has that been the case for some while ?

• Like 1

The murals painted in the concourses added a good splash of colour but nothing has really happened since, what 2017? 

Expansion is a perennial 2 or 3 years away, we can't kick the can down the road forever. It'll be 'we need to secure our PL position',

'Our PL situation is not yet sceured'

'We'll expand when we have further strengthened our PL position'

'We need European revenues to expand'

Relegated again

'We need to secure our PL position to expand'

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Danizen said:

Hopefully the expansion finally gives the stadium a finished look.

It's improved though. Remember before we got promoted when the side of the stadium was adverts for the university and Mark's Electricals flanked by bare concrete?

Not as bad as the adverts for Nottingham Airport :@

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ramadaone said:

Very valid point regarding the pitch but does it get used a lot more now the ladies play at the KP or has that been the case for some while ?

I really don't know to be honest mate.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice pitch, but there's lots more imperfections,  patches of repairs etc etc since he left.

It was levels above any other pitch throughout his time here, absolutely flawless.

I guess that's why he was scouted.

The stadium was built, or at least completed as we hurtled towards a financial meltdown. 

It was never planned with the foresight of the earlier Pierepoint Bede island South stadium, which had bigger concourses and more facilities we are only now considering with the proposed expansion.

The sooner the concourses are expanded and they sort out access in and out of the toilets the better. The ridiculous dog leg entrances are a nightmare to get in and out of speedily when they're busy, especially when blocked by a large wheelie bin!

Edited by Plastik Man
typos
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, NAKC20 said:

Ive heard a rumour the club are planning a multi-million pound investment in expanding the capacity by developing the East stand, building an indoor arena, building a Hotel and generally overhauling the entire area around the stadium. Not sure where I have heard it but it might be true.

But not till 2050 😳😳😳😳