Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

who do we lose-if we don’t go up

16 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

If we don't go up and we face what we think will happen then it's best we shake hands with Enzo. Not just because of the failure to go up from the position we were in but because his philosophy will not be suited to a team with limited resources and restrictions.

We'll need a fire fighter and a pragmatic manager who will choose tactics that are easier to execute with an average squad rather than a system that requires top quality.

Absolutely spot on 

• Like 1

Such a cheery thread 😞. But if the worst happens, I think Winks has more value than people are giving him credit for. Many teams in the PL would be enhanced if they had him in their team. He’s shown he’s over the injury niggles. Has to be £15m minimum, surely? 

17 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

If we don't go up and we face what we think will happen then it's best we shake hands with Enzo. Not just because of the failure to go up from the position we were in but because his philosophy will not be suited to a team with limited resources and restrictions.

We'll need a fire fighter and a pragmatic manager who will choose tactics that are easier to execute with an average squad rather than a system that requires top quality.

This makes complete sense. However if we just miss out on promotion and Enzo doesn't quit, I'm not convinced the club will sack him. He was recruited specifically to play the kind of football he favours - there is clearly a view at the top of the club that we should play that way. I just don't see the club suddenly becoming pragmatic and trying a different approach even if we don't go up.

15 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

This makes complete sense. However if we just miss out on promotion and Enzo doesn't quit, I'm not convinced the club will sack him. He was recruited specifically to play the kind of football he favours - there is clearly a view at the top of the club that we should play that way. I just don't see the club suddenly becoming pragmatic and trying a different approach even if we don't go up.

I think you're right and yet both manager and club will probably be held back as a result. Maybe I'm being harsh but his ideology requires the finest ingredients and with the negativity around the place I think his early sparkle where he thrived in similar surroundings (but with a poorer squad) will be long gone.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think you're right and yet both manager and club will probably be held back as a result. Maybe I'm being harsh but his ideology requires the finest ingredients and with the negativity around the place I think his early sparkle where he thrived in similar surroundings (but with a poorer squad) will be long gone.

I think Enzo could work with a lower quality player if its the right kind of player. (For example, I'm not convinced O'Hare is premier league quality, but feel Enzo could get him operating to or near that level because of the type of player he is).

However, that reduction in quality may not effect how well we did in another championship season next year, but we would feel it if we then went up. Quality gap would be even larger than it is now to PL.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, LVFox said:

I think Enzo could work with a lower quality player if its the right kind of player. (For example, I'm not convinced O'Hare is premier league quality, but feel Enzo could get him operating to or near that level because of the type of player he is).

However, that reduction in quality may not effect how well we did in another championship season next year, but we would feel it if we then went up. Quality gap would be even larger than it is now to PL.

I don’t think o’hare would come here if we didn’t go up. 

He’d either sign a new deal with cov or move to the prem. 

The only reason he’d come is money and we’ve not got that to spend 

Its a similar situation to Hamer in the summer when some of our fans seemed to think we’d land him. 

Edited by Lambert09

24 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I don’t think o’hare would come here if we didn’t go up. 

He’d either sign a new deal with cov or move to the prem. 

The only reason he’d come is money and we’ve not got that to spend 

Its a similar situation to Hamer in the summer when some of our fans seemed to think we’d land him. 

Yeah I agree, solely using him as a player I rate at that high-championship but probably not Premier League level.

4 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Such a cheery thread 😞. But if the worst happens, I think Winks has more value than people are giving him credit for. Many teams in the PL would be enhanced if they had him in their team. He’s shown he’s over the injury niggles. Has to be £15m minimum, surely? 

I’m guessing that he has a release clause if we dont go up set at his amortised value this June 

same with coady

surely their agents are good enough to have sorted that out for them ?

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I’m guessing that he has a release clause if we dont go up set at his amortised value this June 

same with coady

surely their agents are good enough to have sorted that out for them ?

That would seem very likely. 

More worryingly, who comes in?  
If we’re so cash strapped - I’d assume the likes of KDH, Wilf, Winks, Ricardo, Faes and Mads all go? Daka and Kel presumably go too?

So whether we bring in new players or promote some of the academy, it’s potentially another refresh if we don’t go up. 

We really need to get promotion. 

We were all surprised about how few key players actually left other than the obvious candidates of Maddison, Tielemans, Soyuncu and Barnes to name a few. This summer could be the exodus we all expected, if we fail to achieve promotion at the first attempt.

Loans will be allowed to expire, end of contract players will leave, higher value players will be sold as we cannot afford to say no and the wage bill needs to be reduced, and let's face it, we have Premier League players in the Championship. I fully expect us to be picked apart from back to front, and a lot of our youngsters on pocket money wages to be suddenly thrust into the matchday squad. Oh, and there will be plenty of season tickets available.

10 years after we returned to the Premier League, the fairytale story could finally come to an end and we start again.

Started to have a think about this but in reality every player in the current squad could leave - to raise some much needed funds, or to save some cash in wages. 

Agree that Enzo would be first out. He would probably walk saying he wasn’t aware with the what’s going on behind the scenes. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2024 at 19:37, john ridley said:

To be honest if this lot cock up promotion,who cares who stays .We would nearly get rid of all the over paid bottle jobs we have left.

id like to keep KDH, Fatawu and Mavididi and maybe cannon and Riccy P!

In reality most of them will have to be shipped out, our financial situation is perilous and I think we will seriously be looking at moving on anyone who’s on over 20k a week.

Hermansen will go to the prem or a top flight club in Europe. 
Ricardo, 

Vardy, 

Winks,

Fatawu won’t sign, 

Albrighton 

Faes is getting minutes for Belgium so he will get a club somewhere 

Ndidi 

Daka 

Kristiansen has done okay at Bologna so he will get a move 

Iheanacho is gone 

Coady I actually think might stay, his options are limited after his failed move and I have a feeling a new manager will come in and utilise him. 
KDH will be the big money move

Praet. 

I imagine going into next season of the players on our books who will be playing/bench if we stay down will be: 

Vesty 

Coady

Souttar 

Justin 

Nelson

Wanya 

Braybrooke

Alves

Mcateer

Mavididi (gut feeling he stays) 

Hamza

Cannon

Danny Ward on a 10 year deal 

On 04/03/2024 at 16:53, Muzzy_no7 said:

Enzo would be sacked immediately if we failed to go up. 

If i were him, i would be looking for the exits after this season no matter the outcome.

What's the most optimistic outcome? We claw our way to promotion, go into the summer transfer window with dark clouds hanging over our heads financially, have to sell KDH and other key assets, cannot improve the team in any meaningful way and then have to compete with a worse squad in the Premier League? Toxic fan atmosphere even when we were successful in the championship because people haven't bought into his style of play, and then he wont even be able to field a team capable of playing that style against superior competition in the Prem.  He'd be the favorite to be sacked by the bookmakers, and that's if Top even has the money to fire him and hire a replacement. 

If i were him, I would mutually agree to part ways and void the rest of his contract. Look for a new job, hopefully on the back of a successful promotion campaign when his stock is still pretty high. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

In reality most of them will have to be shipped out, our financial situation is perilous and I think we will seriously be looking at moving on anyone who’s on over 20k a week.

Hermansen will go to the prem or a top flight club in Europe. 
Ricardo, 

Vardy, 

Winks,

Fatawu won’t sign, 

Albrighton 

Faes is getting minutes for Belgium so he will get a club somewhere 

Ndidi 

Daka 

Kristiansen has done okay at Bologna so he will get a move 

Iheanacho is gone 

Coady I actually think might stay, his options are limited after his failed move and I have a feeling a new manager will come in and utilise him. 
KDH will be the big money move

Praet. 

I imagine going into next season of the players on our books who will be playing/bench if we stay down will be: 

Vesty 

Coady

Souttar 

Justin 

Nelson

Wanya 

Braybrooke

Alves

Mcateer

Mavididi (gut feeling he stays) 

Hamza

Cannon

Danny Ward on a 10 year deal 

There’s a big difference between staying down and going up 

in addition,  even if we stay down it won’t be as easy as you think to get rid of some players who are still earning more here than they could elsewhere. 

you know janiick is out of contract ?   His good season will get him a two year deal somewhere 

On 04/03/2024 at 16:31, Lambert09 said:

i think justin has done well enough to make premier league sides take note as well. If Max aaron’s got a move than justin will be heavily sought after now that people see he’s over his injury concerns 

If he wasn't ours, if we were to be promoted, would you really sign JJ?  He's only really a squad player for us in the Championship, I don't see him improving any? The rate at which he gives the ball away would be a worry in the Premiership as there are better players there to punish us.

38 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

If he wasn't ours, if we were to be promoted, would you really sign JJ?  He's only really a squad player for us in the Championship, I don't see him improving any? The rate at which he gives the ball away would be a worry in the Premiership as there are better players there to punish us.

26 year old player who pre injury got into the england side. Can play either side, or even centrally in a 3.  Before injury was essential in a side sat in the top 4. 

Considering sheffield U signed luke thomas, i’m pretty sure a promoted side would be interested in JJ. 

My personal opinion, is that he is a better player than castagne… and timmy is doing just fine for fulham. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

26 year old player who pre injury got into the england side. Can play either side, or even centrally in a 3.  Before injury was essential in a side sat in the top 4. 

Considering sheffield U signed luke thomas, i’m pretty sure a promoted side would be interested in JJ. 

My personal opinion, is that he is a better player than castagne… and timmy is doing just fine for fulham. 

Can he play on either side really? I suggest not, he's been very poor. He is better on the right in fairness. Pre injury is history and he's certainly not as promising now.