Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Otis

Budget 2024

as it has always been. 

the distinction between the two parties is what they do with the money they take... 

One is more predicated on the betterment of society in general... the other is about driving free enterprise and protecting the wealthier end of society. 

my personal preference is the betterment of society as a whole, but I absolutely understand those who want to be entrepreneurs and generate their own wealth, so that they aren't reliant on state support. 

I'm of the opinion that government should be their to protect those that are most needing and vulnerable in society.... but i "think" that makes me part of this woke blob that they talk about.... not sure what that actually means! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

2% NI drop 

southampton-fc.gif

Council tax going up 5%

Easy headlines but the question is; 2% of what and 5% of what?

Just because you have highlighted two percentage figures state what it actually means.

It will mean different things to different people.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

2% NI drop 

southampton-fc.gif

Council tax going up 5%

see, technically, I'm £125 a month better of as a result of the NI change, and my wife will be about the same better off each month.... 

will absolutely mean we don't feel the cost of CT going up quite as much as we otherwise might. 

HOWEVER....... by Freezing the tax thresholds for as long as they have... we've been rinsed in the meantime and dragged into higher rate tax... which I don't think should ever have really been the case. That's been crippling for most middle earners. 

Edited by Greg2607
  • Like 2

as it has always been. 

the distinction between the two parties is what they do with the money they take... 

One is more predicated on the betterment of society in general... the other is about driving free enterprise and protecting the wealthier end of society. 

my personal preference is the betterment of society as a whole, but I absolutely understand those who want to be entrepreneurs and generate their own wealth, so that they aren't reliant on state support. 

I'm of the opinion that government should be their to protect those that are most needing and vulnerable in society.... but i "think" that makes me part of this woke blob that they talk about.... not sure what that actually means! 

Positive news on Child Benefit though and the uprating of the rates.........

It does however feel like a very scorched earth approach as they've shafted labours plan for the non dom tax status to fund their infrastructure spending plans. 

27 minutes ago, Otis said:

Giveth with one hand and take away with the other. 

As all of them do, some will be better off some will be worse off and some will notice no difference. 

There's no spare money and rarely ever is it's all been swept up by the Sterling Elite.

Not sure what's worse. Hunt thinking that this is in the interests of everyone and not just the self-serving, or those that will still vote for the party thinking he's done them a favour financially... 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

see, technically, I'm £125 a month better of as a result of the NI change, and my wife will be about the same better off each month.... 

will absolutely mean we don't feel the cost of CT going up quite as much as we otherwise might. 

HOWEVER....... by Freezing the tax thresholds for as long as they have... we've been rinsed in the meantime and dragged into higher rate tax... which I don't think should ever have really been the case. That's been crippling for most middle earners. 

Isn’t the most anyone can benefit from this 2% drop £750ish a year? I’m probably missing something… self employed?

From those in his party I've spoken to this afternoon, half of them are annoyed it's not Truss/Kwarteng levels of bonkers, the others fail to find anything of note to get excited about. Meanwhile, talking heads will do the rounds of media interviews tonight and tomorrow morning and try to pretend this isn't the biggest tax raising government since records began. They make me weary, I can see me stopping at the off licence on the way home.

12 minutes ago, Trumpet said:

Isn’t the most anyone can benefit from this 2% drop £750ish a year? I’m probably missing something… self employed?

you are right actually.... it includes both elements of the recent reductions in NI - 

Analysts from AJ Bell calculated the combined NIC cuts would mean savings of up to £1,508 a year for those earning £50,270 or more and almost £900 for someone earning £35,000 a year.

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

If the suspected tax on vaping is as high as suggested then it's the most ridiculous idea this government has come up with for ages. 

There isn't a single public health/tobacco control researcher who supports this - nor any smoking cessation experts. It's beyond stupid and will only serve to add fuel to the black market that will be booming with banned, cheap single-use products direct from China.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

If the suspected tax on vaping is as high as suggested then it's the most ridiculous idea this government has come up with for ages. 

Right up there with scrapping the non dom status... After 4 sodding years. 

How high is it?

17 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Tax breaks for the wealthy and big give aways for therir mates. Same as always. While public services face the squeeze.

You've forgotten to mention the reduction in National Insurance contributions.

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

From those in his party I've spoken to this afternoon, half of them are annoyed it's not Truss/Kwarteng levels of bonkers, the others fail to find anything of note to get excited about. Meanwhile, talking heads will do the rounds of media interviews tonight and tomorrow morning and try to pretend this isn't the biggest tax raising government since records began. They make me weary, I can see me stopping at the off licence on the way home.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. This ain't no fooling around No time for dancing, or lovey-dovey…

45 minutes ago, bmt said:

How high is it?

But it wont kick in till 2026 so allowing time for consultation and implementation. The Budget documents suggest that topping up a 10ml refillable tank, which currently might be priced at £2.50, would rise to £4.90 for standard nicotine content.

From the BBC. Almost double. :blink:

9 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

But it wont kick in till 2026 so allowing time for consultation and implementation. The Budget documents suggest that topping up a 10ml refillable tank, which currently might be priced at £2.50, would rise to £4.90 for standard nicotine content.

Wow that's outrageous. Do they work out the revenue it will make by just multiplying current consumption by the income too? 

28 minutes ago, bmt said:

Wow that's outrageous. Do they work out the revenue it will make by just multiplying current consumption by the income too? 

Well they've said they'll raise the tax on traditional tobacco products so the gap between them and vaping is still enough to steer people towards vaping. At that price I reckon they're closer to steering people towards harder vices. lol

Tbh it's the same sort of tax on petrol/diesel. If they tried bringing that sort of shite in now they'd be uproar, instead we just take it. 

Edited by Innovindil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Right up there with scrapping the non dom status... After 4 sodding years. 

42 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Is this to supplement lost revenue from tobacco sales, do you think?

Scrap that. You answered the question as I was typing :thumbup:

Edited by Parafox

5 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Well they've said they'll raise the tax on traditional tobacco products so the gap between them and vaping is still enough to steer people towards vaping. At that price I reckon they're closer to steering people towards harder vices. lol

Tbh it's the same sort of tax on petrol/diesel. If they tried bringing that sort of shite in now they'd be uproar, instead we just take it. 

We wouldn't, we'd bend over and take it. They'd introduce a small tax to start with and it would increase yearly.

Isn't much fight in this country to do anything sadly.

• Like 1