Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Fan fatigue

13 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Get annoyed in some moaning of the club's current situation, despite being joint-top with a game in-hand.

Most fans from the 2007 -2008 season would've dreamed of this..

That's not the intention of this thread mate. I'm just as exhausted from the highs as I am the lows. I've been and remain positive about this season 

It's been an absolutely brilliant ride these last two decades: From scrapping a win at Yeovil town down in League one, the LEGEND Nigel Pearson at the helm, That playoff against Watford, getting back to the Prem, the great escape, his lad in Bangkok, Ranieri winning the Prem in 2016! Rodgers the FA cup. Then relegation. Dusting ourselves off, going double figures clear at the top, then chucking it away! I have to watch from behind the sofa these days, but at least it's never boring.  

• Like 1

You can tell the difference between teams on the up like Ipswich and Coventry, compared to us. They are enjoying the journey. 

I do think football is slowly losing its appeal to many people, especially at the level below the top level. 

The style of play just doesn't galvanise a fan base for long enough, you can argue it shouldn't need to be based on style of play but like it or not our fans need something to get them going. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I think there are a fair few reasons why fans are feeling this way, firstly the interference from the authorities in how they are attempting to manipulate the game to ensure the bigger and richer clubs continue to prosper and dominate. 

secondly the finances involved, has totally changed the dynamic of the game, some of it for the better, but the majority of it is taking the game away from its traditional fanbase.

And finally social media, there is little escape anymore, before, during and after games, timelines and forums are full of fan emotion and opinion, we don’t play for the best part of 2 weeks and years ago you could pretty much switch off and forget about football until the next game, where as nowadays it can consume your life as there will always be fans debating tactics, players, finance, will we bottle or not etc etc it is no wonder fans are feeling drained and fatigued. 

I am now 50 so I try to have a fairly balanced view and whilst I love my club with all my heart, I try to keep things in perspective wherever possible however there are times when I sit there shaking my head in disbelief at what I am reading and I do understand how it can be become consuming. Football is at saturation point it’s everywhere and it is very difficult to escape at times. 

Agree with all of this, especially the social media. It's like politics and culture in general, more people than ever talk about football and share football content, but most of that content is so trivial and vapid

17 hours ago, Matt said:

I've tried to become more aware and turn it off, watch something else or just generally do something.

Apart from world cups and euros (the tournaments, not the qualifiers!) I don't watch any matches that don't have Leicester in them. Haven't for years now. And it's great! Turns out there's a whole wide world out there full of stuff that isn't football.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

Financial Fair Play.

Nothing fair about it when clubs like Chelsea can spend a billion and we can’t even sign Sansei for a few million.

I am pretty sure Chelsea can’t be making money either.

In any event, if they are interested in “fair”, shouldn’t it try to do something about salary caps, transfer caps etc instead of picking on making sure small clubs can’t spend.

A couple of seasons ago, Chelsea were signing players on 8 year contracts. This apparently was so they could spread the cost over those 8 years. Whoever is in charge of overseeing the financial side of football, we’re supposed to be looking into this with a view to stopping this practice.

20 hours ago, RYM said:

“if I hadn’t seen such riches, I could live with being poor” 

This really is it. The higher the climb, the bigger the fall.

And we all knew it would eventually come, but it still feels way too soon, and more soon than it needed to be.

It will never get better than 2016, and that's a very depressing thought even if it was beyond amazing at the time.

Something needs to happen at the club where we can reset our relationship with the club and the sport. 

• Like 2

Yeh agreed, there has to be a choice surely. People can't keep making edgy proclamations and public grandstanding declarations of how football is broken every few months, whilst still following football. I lost interest from 2011 - 2013, did not even know some of our results or if/when we were playing. Coincided with moving to London, working non-stop and partying in free time. Got fully back into it in the promo season and obvs not looked back. If you are fatigued, just stop following,  instead of telling people you are fatigued. There are so many distractions in 21st century living to take football's space.

2 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

At some point we all need to make a choice surely. Are you going to keep going out of some blind loyalty where you are sat in auto pilot not really present or enjoying it. Or can you snap out of it and find some passion on a matchday. It’s down to the individual as the football is what it is now and the club certainly ain't going to help improve the matchday experience as one example.

My enjoyment now goes with taking my two lads who are now (14&11), that’s why we moved from the family end to SK1. 

Without them I’d rarely go I think, lost a lot of love for football through working in it for 10 years and I’ve become so apathetic to it all.

That said every time we go I have a lump in my throat as we sing “when you’re smiling” together. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I think there are a fair few reasons why fans are feeling this way, firstly the interference from the authorities in how they are attempting to manipulate the game to ensure the bigger and richer clubs continue to prosper and dominate. 

secondly the finances involved, has totally changed the dynamic of the game, some of it for the better, but the majority of it is taking the game away from its traditional fanbase.

And finally social media, there is little escape anymore, before, during and after games, timelines and forums are full of fan emotion and opinion, we don’t play for the best part of 2 weeks and years ago you could pretty much switch off and forget about football until the next game, where as nowadays it can consume your life as there will always be fans debating tactics, players, finance, will we bottle or not etc etc it is no wonder fans are feeling drained and fatigued. 

I am now 50 so I try to have a fairly balanced view and whilst I love my club with all my heart, I try to keep things in perspective wherever possible however there are times when I sit there shaking my head in disbelief at what I am reading and I do understand how it can be become consuming. Football is at saturation point it’s everywhere and it is very difficult to escape at times. 

To be fair Social Media is good and bad, nobody insists that you overdo it. Turn off ya phone and TV, switch the radio on, that way you can be busy doing things and not just concentrating on football.

5 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Good post. The finance part particularly and the way the authorities have allowed the games to be tilted so far to the advantage of the bigger clubs. I thought that having won the Premier League and then the FA Cup then I could relax in my mind on if the team was doing so well or not. Seems not so easy to do this. I know in my lifetime we are not going to achieve anything like it again. I suppose I am hoping we get promoted and stay in the top flight for years. Having said that what a circus it all is there now. In a way I wish the rich clubs would just all sod off to a so called Super League as long as they were not allowed to compete in the domestic league. 

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

It will never get better than 2016, and that's a very depressing thought

I don't find it depressing tbh. No, it will never get better than 2016. But it can't. Nothing in the history of football has been better than the season we had then. Probably nothing ever will. I'm just happy beyond measure that it happened - and it happened to us!

• Like 1

I've turned to watching the women's team home and away.

Key factors are affordability, access to tickets, and I've ticked off a few grounds that I've not been to before. 

The atmosphere at games isn't ever going to exceed the mens game but there's no VAR, and the players get up and get on with it, it keeps me connected to LCFC. I have little interest in the mens game these days.