Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
les-tah

Gabriel Pereira

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Could he be the Vestergaard player? His passing stats don't suggest so but Gil Vicente might not play anything like we play so they get lost in the data.

Him being two footed, pretty quick and good at bailing out is basically what Ben Nelson has in his armoury too. But a year in the Championship playing regularly could be planned for Nelson?

Personally I can't see us NOT starting Vestergaard next season. Hermansen, Vestergaard, Winks and Ricardo are the most pivotal players in the entire system. Vestergaard himself had a really dodgy first game (as the RCB) against Coventry then stabilised a bit, and then I would say after 5-6 games started to look really good. It takes a specific type of player to play there and it takes them time to learn the role. I think it's too risky to throw someone into that position right away unless they are / were a very experienced player with international experience. I could of course be wrong, but in all these videos he is on one side of the pitch and not bang in the middle. The only way I see us not starting Vestergaard is if somehow someone like Lewis Dunk is made available, which I don't see happening.

Faes played in that position when Vestergaard was suspended and you could notice the difference.

8 minutes ago, mancunianfox said:

From his wikipedia page, sounds like he'll fit right in

Do you play defence? Do you like to play suicidal balls across the face of the box or to your team mates despite being pressed by Mo Salah or Darwin Nunez? Then we've got the right team for you! Leicester City based in the East Midlands are looking for kamikaze centre backs and they are looking for them now!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Personally I can't see us NOT starting Vestergaard next season. Hermansen, Vestergaard, Winks and Ricardo are the most pivotal players in the entire system. Vestergaard himself had a really dodgy first game (as the RCB) against Coventry then stabilised a bit, and then I would say after 5-6 games started to look really good. It takes a specific type of player to play there and it takes them time to learn the role. I think it's too risky to throw someone into that position right away unless they are / were a very experienced player with international experience. I could of course be wrong, but in all these videos he is on one side of the pitch and not bang in the middle. The only way I see us not starting Vestergaard is if somehow someone like Lewis Dunk is made available, which I don't see happening.

Faes played in that position when Vestergaard was suspended and you could notice the difference.

Do you play defence? Do you like to play suicidal balls across the face of the box or to your team mates despite being pressed by Mo Salah or Darwin Nunez? Then we've got the right team for you! Leicester City based in the East Midlands are looking for kamikaze centre backs and they are looking for them now!

There's a very real possibility Vestergaard doesn't remain at the club. He's free to leave and at his age he may well get a better off than we will give him.

46 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

CL trumps it 

If CL was the only consideration, then Celtic would be beating most PL clubs to signings on a regular basis - the pull is strong, but so is the pull of PL football. As for Porto, in a bad season they're going out in the groups, in a good season they might get last 16 or QFs - they're not serious European contenders, and the Portuguese domestic league can't compete in any way with the PL. And if the idea of playing CL is to put yourself in the shop window for bigger clubs, I'd say that playing for a PL club is more likely to get you a move to a big club with bigger CL credentials.

42 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Am convinced Doyle could play that role. Think he’s a bit slow for the lcb position but clearly very good on the ball

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

If CL was the only consideration, then Celtic would be beating most PL clubs to signings on a regular basis - the pull is strong, but so is the pull of PL football. As for Porto, in a bad season they're going out in the groups, in a good season they might get last 16 or QFs - they're not serious European contenders, and the Portuguese domestic league can't compete in any way with the PL. And if the idea of playing CL is to put yourself in the shop window for bigger clubs, I'd say that playing for a PL club is more likely to get you a move to a big club with bigger CL credentials.

Disagree. Porto have superb record of developing players and pushing them onto big clubs. Winning trophies rather than getting hammered playing in the relegation zone. 

For Brazilians they can do this whilst not having to learn a new language and new culture. Plus point of course is they are living in a beautiful, cultured city rather than West Bridgford 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Disagree. Porto have superb record of developing players and pushing them onto big clubs. Winning trophies rather than getting hammered playing in the relegation zone. 

For Brazilians they can do this whilst not having to learn a new language and new culture. Plus point of course is they are living in a beautiful, cultured city rather than West Bridgford 

Only caveat to this is, the (hopefully) old Leicester would trump Porto on wages hence why we got Ricardo in his pomp. I'd hope with a sensible wage structure that if we went up against Porto now that they wouldn't choose us just for the money.

19 minutes ago, RyCleary said:

Am convinced Doyle could play that role. Think he’s a bit slow for the lcb position but clearly very good on the ball

I cant see Doyle being here next season either. Unless Man City are happy to Loan again, but im not sure how they would feel about a 2nd season loan for a Prem team. Can't imagine they are looking to sell him for peanuts, as this is the club that got Burnley to pay 18m for Trafford.

34 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

You're comparing JJ to full backs and Pereira to centre-backs and then overlaying the results together to get just... a bit of a mess.

I don't really think this is the best statistical comparison you could have done.

Edit: to reinforce what @Ric Flair hinted at, you also need to consider the vast difference in status and potentially play style between Leicester and them. Gil Vicente average 49.3% possession in matches, are comfortably in the bottom half in their league for pass completion rate across the team, despite attempting some of the fewest long passes but only in Arouca in the league (outside the Big Four) have attempted more passes over all this season.

Gabriel Pereira has made the second most passes in his team this season at 1720 with 413 considered short (between 5 and 15 yards), 956 considered medium (up to 30 yards) and 310 long. Interestingly, he is most successful (93.2%) at medium range. Unfortunately, FBRef doesn't track progressive passes in the defensive third so it's hard to say whether or not a lot of these mid range passes were through balls breaking the line in to the midfield or were just sideways across the back four (which is probably more likely.)

He also carries the ball more than anyone else in his team, which is similar to Vestergaard, having the most carries and the most yards carried of anyone in his squad.

I wouldn't have chosen to compare him to JJ at all tbf.

Fair points!

Here's how he compares to Vestergaard, as well as some other players that are similar to Jannik. And to be fair... he seems a much closer fit to Jannik than the wide CBs, so on this one, I bow down to the Foxes Talk scouting overlords!

ll1Axis.png

gkVk8uC.png

One interesting thing I read (but can't find a link for) is that on average the league where players seem to transition from the best around the world is Portugal. Sure we got hit by Adrien Silva and Islam Slimani, but Ricardo was a magnificent piece of business and elsewhere you've got players like Bernardo Silva, Ruben Dias, Bruno Fernandes, Diogo Jota, Ruben Neves, Pedro Neto, etc, etc. Of course there are flops, but on average players from that league tend to fare quite well here.

Jannik's lack of pace and slow turning speed has us all nervous. He's also on a rumoured 80k a week, which is a lot to keep on the books. Despite that, I think he had a great season and was our most consistent CB. Faes is the one that worries me the most because I think he is rash, whereas with Jannik, we know his weaknesses, but he's easily the best option we've seen for us in the central CB role in the Enzo system. But he'll have to be replaced sometime and if you bring in someone from Portugal on 40K a week who has resale potential, then that's a smart business decision.

@StriderHiryu @Finnegan @Ric Flair

Pereira’s passing statistics according to Wyscout.

Accurate Passes - 87.36%

Forward Passes per90 - 17.80

Accurate Forward Passes - 73.65%

Passes To Final Third per90 - 4.29

Accurate Passes To Final Third - 60.87%

Progressive Passes per90 - 6.65

Accurate Progressive Passes - 60.75%

They also analyse Interceptions differently to Fbref. Wyscout has him down in 6th for most interceptions in the league 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Only caveat to this is, the (hopefully) old Leicester would trump Porto on wages hence why we got Ricardo in his pomp. I'd hope with a sensible wage structure that if we went up against Porto now that they wouldn't choose us just for the money.

We got him in his pomp from Porto because Porto didn't want him and we offered them a good fee.

17 minutes ago, JimJams said:

We got him in his pomp from Porto because Porto didn't want him and we offered them a good fee.

He played 40+ games for them the season before, I'm not so sure they didn't want him but you're right we offered them a good fee. The point is though that a mid table PL side vs the best team in Portugal who'd won their league that year + played knock out CL football can and will be beaten on wages. That is why players come to the PL over teams such as Porto, Ajax, Milan etc.

https://the72.co.uk/2024/05/08/leicester-city-gabriel-pereira-transfer/

Leicester City have made a deal for Gil Vicente centre-back Gabriel Pereira a priority, according to Italian outlet TuttoMercatoWeb.

An important summer awaits those at the King Power Stadium. The desire will be to strengthen where possible but with PSR problems rumbling on, costs will have to be kept down and key assets will be sold.

Now though, rumours of a key summer target have emerged in reports from overseas.

Italian outlet TuttoMercatoWeb states that Leicester City have made centre-back Gabriel Pereira of Portuguese side Gil Vicente a priority transfer target.

The Foxes aren’t the only ones keen though. While Serie A side Udinese are admirers, Portuguese teams Benfica and Braga are also keen alongside Lyon of France.

More on Pereira…
Pereira is a 24-year-old Brazilian centre-back who can also operate as a defensive midfielder if needs be.

He started out his career in his native Brazil before first moving to Portuguese side Vilafranquense on loan. They signed him permanently and half-a-season later, top-flight side Gil Vicente snapped him up.

There, Pereira has become an influential player and a mainstay in the starting XI.

A move to Leicester City would make for a new challenge for Pereira. A move to the Premier League would cap off a steep rise to the top too, having only stepped up to the top flight of Portuguese football less than 18 months ago.

Leicester City’s centre-back options
It seems likely that Leicester City will be in the market for another centre-back this summer.

Jannik Vestergaard’s contract is expiring and it remains to be seen if he’ll pen new terms. Callum Doyle – although mainly played at left-back – is returning to Manchester City.

That leaves Wout Faes, Conor Coady and Harry Souttar, and the latter two have barely been used by Maresca this season.

As a result, it feels unlikely that they’ll become regulars upon a step to a higher level, potentially opening the door for a new signing like Pereira to come in and take a spot in the side.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

His pass completion % is a bit poor for a ball playing centre back. Not sure he's capable of replacing Vestergaard in the side.

@kingfox what do you make of this? fbref having an instance of unreliability or is he a victim of the way Gil Vicente play that means his ability gets lost in the stats.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

@kingfox what do you make of this? fbref having an instance of unreliability or is he a victim of the way Gil Vicente play that means his ability gets lost in the stats.

Could be a statistical error. Based on his highlights he seems to hit the ball well enough which doesnt align with his atrocious 50% long ball success rate on fbref.