Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Betting Thread

57 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Villa not even scoring has fooked me up good and proper there

Thought the btts was nailed on after the Fulham goal

Col man why do you always bet btts? Yet all I ever see in this thread is you complaining about teams not scoring???

what you gone for in the champs league? 

• Like 1

Derby on Saturday 

Saxon Warrior is the 4/6 fav but His First two dams have failed to breed a black type winner over 1600m/8f/1 mile,  people stating he is a guaranteed stayer are brave, he has to out run his gene pool and half a dozen stable mates ! He maybe a machine but has the machine got the power

frankies horse is 14/1 that’s a cracking eachway bet , rain has come will stay the trip and his uncle won the race two years ago , cracking each way bet 

Having had just about my best run ever on football betting (small stakes) with wins on btts, first half goals, goals total etc, immediately followed by just about my worst run ever (literally betting on nothing that came in), I’m ever more convinced that betting on football is a game of chance. It’s luck. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it, unless you bet very big on very short odds, like Barce or Man City).

Has anyone on here ever truly made much dosh from footy betting and if so, how? What’s the recipe?

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Having had just about my best run ever on football betting (small stakes) with wins on btts, first half goals, goals total etc, immediately followed by just about my worst run ever (literally betting on nothing that came in), I’m ever more convinced that betting on football is a game of chance. It’s luck. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it, unless you bet very big on very short odds, like Barce or Man City).

Has anyone on here ever truly made much dosh from footy betting and if so, how? What’s the recipe?

Honestly Col gambling is one of the most mathematical things there is...I have never seen any mathematical logic from you. From the outside it seems like you just back btts blindly whatever the price is.

• Like 1

try pricing things up yourself with form/knowledge, then check the actual prices and if you think they’re too big then back it. if you think real madrid should be odds on to beat liverpool, you have a look and they’re 5/4, have a go. if you think they should be 2/1 and they’re 5/4, back the other side or leave it alone. 

always take the best price available to you. there’s no point backing a selection at 4/6 at bet365 when there’s 4/5 if you just change your tab. 

be more selective. ten £5 stakes is the same as one £50 stake, the chances of winning all ten are a lot less than the chances of choosing the best one and making a profit. 

back things you know about, don’t be influenced by the price basically. don’t start throwing money at random foreign football matches where you don’t recognise either team just because the bookies say one team is 1/3 so “they must be good”. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Made the same conclusion regarding betting on football matches ages ago. The betting big on short odds thing is the absolute worst idea with how unpredictable football can be. You can't win betting long term on matches unless you have inside info or are one of the very rare breed of professionals with their fancy algorithms, betting on the low margin bookmakers such as Pinnacle or exchanges.

I have however made a very large amount in the last 1.5 years from transfer/manager betting. There is lots of value to be had in those markets if you know which journos are reliable and can get in your bet before the bookies change the odds.

The easier alternative of course is just to do matched betting. You can make a ton from it, although it can be fairly time-consuming so I don't do it apart from the one inplay Bet365 offer every few weeks.

Edited by brucey
  • Like 1

Mate, it's called a 'gamble' for a reason. Nothing is certain. If some elements weren't down to luck and it was all science we would all win. Simple as.

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Most people in this thread do it mainly for fun and to keep interest. The professional gamblers are on a beach somewhere who study endless amounts. 

What are your small stakes? If you don't mind me asking. 

I had a short period of winning big on Betfair about 10 years ago by laying the draw on selected European matches. Over a couple of months I built up a bank of £100 to around £1500, and the last month of doing it I was managing to draw £300 per week out into my bank. I could win around £100 per match if I layed enough exposure, and aimed for 2 or 3 wins per week. 

Of course I managed to lose it all in one go though :)Two matches on a Saturday with all of my £1500 bank exposure. Liverpool and Chelsea, both at home, to Wigan and Newcastle (I think IIRC). Both finished 0-0 :( Normally I'd monitor the games and cut my losses around 70 mins if still goalless, but I had an emergency and had to go out mid-game. Typical that was the day they both finished 0-0! I was gutted and never bothered trying to build it back up again. And nowadays the odds are so crap it isn't worth doing. 

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Most people in this thread do it mainly for fun and to keep interest. The professional gamblers are on a beach somewhere who study endless amounts. 

What are your small stakes? If you don't mind me asking. 

Yep this is what I do. If I’m watching a game on tv that I’m not bothered about the outcome I’ll have small bet to keep myself interested.

It’s never more than £5 and I’ll get a couple of bets out of that, for instance champions league on Saturday I had £2.50 on Ramos to be sent off & £2.50 on Madrid to win 3-2. Never going to retire from any winnings but keeps the game interesting for me.

2 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Yep this is what I do. If I’m watching a game on tv that I’m not bothered about the outcome I’ll have small bet to keep myself interested.

It’s never more than £5 and I’ll get a couple of bets out of that, for instance champions league on Saturday I had £2.50 on Ramos to be sent off & £2.50 on Madrid to win 3-2. Never going to retire from any winnings but keeps the game interesting for me.

aye that’s my weekly or day to day play, then if something looks too big or there’s something i’m fully involved in i’ll have a “proper” go. and it’ll probably lose as well but it’s all shits and giggles. 

like you say i’m not trying to use it as an extra wage or as a retirement fund, sure a 3 or 4 figure win is great times, but then when you lose ten in a row it’s barely noticeable to my actual balance, rather than having to move money around savings accounts into betting accounts etc. 

thats the best advice, just do whatever suits you. but if you’re not having fun, have a break. it really is that simple. 

The only time I won a lot was at the last World Cup where I was betting on the first goal to be scored. I would literally just stick like £30 on the favourite and it was coming in nearly all the time. I then started backing the favourite player to score first at like £5 a time just to see and that was doing well too. Then once the games got to knockouts it was going tits up. I made about a grand but then when the prem started again I was betting on stuff without checking value etc and my roll just diminished. Now I just bet for fun so £20 here and there on big games I only bet what I can expect to chuck away so no drama if it loses. If it wins I’ll realistically spunk it on something else. 

Col from what I can see you are getting emotionally involved in betting like £5 on some random Slovakian under 10s to both score and it just isn’t worth it. Either admit it’s for fun and do it on games you are watching to keep yourself interested

and accept losing, or like scouse said do research and look for value and bet amounts that would give decent returns.   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Walkers said:

Some interesting odds in the Spanish 2nd division and Hungary 1st division on the final day. Some leaders underdogs against relegation threatened sides

Top of the league are 11/2 in Spanish 2nd divison