Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

16 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Calibre on Netflix. 

9/10

Seriously tense.

Put your devices away and turn off the lights.

I wish I could have seen this at the cinema. 

Had this on a to watch list for a while. Will have to stick it on sometime over the next few days. Don't even remember what it's about now.

Watched a film called "unsane" this evening. About a lady dealing with a stalker, whilst being held in a mental health facility against her will. Whilst it's probably one to stick on when little else can be decided upon, it's a decent watch that keeps you engaged enough.

Edited by samlcfc
Missing word

18 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Calibre on Netflix. 

9/10

Seriously tense.

Owww. Was thinking about a movie tonight and came here for ideas. 

Will give this one a shot and let you know what I think. 

Guest seanfox778

The Parallax View - 7/10

70’s conspiracy thriller with Warren Beatty. A senator and his wife are assassinated and it doesn’t sit right with a local reporter who decides to dig deeper with some dreadful consequences.

1F051E82-A322-437A-9758-DC0C047B96A9.jpeg

On 02/09/2018 at 05:55, urban.spaceman said:

Calibre on Netflix. 

9/10

Seriously tense.

Well, that was the bleakest thing ive watched in a while. Good film though and yep, extremely tense.

Thankfully, I had some time on my hands and watched "blockers" before it. A comedy film that I didn't expect much from, but it had me laughing. It's about 3 parents getting wind of  daughters plans to have sex for the first time on prom night. They spend the evening trying to shut it down. Plenty of dumb jokes for a cheap laugh.

Watched Creep on Netflix last night.

As the title suggests, it is very creepy. A freelance videographer accepts a job offer to record a day of a terminally ill man. As the film unfolds, it gets weirder and creepier.

For a budget, independent horror, I thought it was quite good. 6.5/10

Watched the Equalizer 2 the other night - actually went to the cinema on my own never done it before but actually quite enjoyed it. Good film as well as good if not better than the first one. 8/10

Watched Mile 22 (Mark Wahlberg, John Malkovich) last night at a preview screening - its a solid action film which is actually an 18 which is rare for these types of films these days. 8/10

Deadpool 2: as with most sequels its not as good as the first but i enjoyed the OTT jokes.

Black panther: thought this was supposed to be good but turned it off after 20 minutes. I never usually do that.

Perhaps i should watch again and persist???

Edited by Royston.

12 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Deadpool 2: as with most sequels its not as good as the first but i enjoyed the OTT jokes.

Black panther: thought this was supposed to be good but turned it off after 20 minutes. I never usually do that.

Perhaps i should watch again and persist???

Black Panther is decent, but massively overhyped. Worth watching but watch it with an open mind, forget all the people making out it's the best marvel film and one of the greatest films ever, it's not it's just ok.

• Like 1

Yeah Black Panther got massive hype because it's the first Hollywood film to let black people on set, but it's still a decent watch unless you don't enjoy the other marvel films in which case you won't enjoy this one either. I'd rank it on a par with the 2nd iron man if that helps.

36 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Yeah Black Panther got massive hype because it's the first Hollywood film to let black people on set, but it's still a decent watch unless you don't enjoy the other marvel films in which case you won't enjoy this one either. I'd rank it on a par with the 2nd iron man if that helps.

On the subject of Marvel, I don't know why I put off watching it for so long, probably because I didnt really like the first two and I forgot Taika Waititi made it but Thor 3 is ****ing spectacular. 

I felt some of the previous Thor films took what is ultimately the campest and silliest Marvel concept in the MCU and tried to play it too straight but letting Waititi loose with his own goofy humour and Hemsworth's willingness to laugh at himself made a ****ing great film. 

I was in tears of laughter for half of it. Korg was ****ing inspired. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

On the subject of Marvel, I don't know why I put off watching it for so long, probably because I didnt really like the first two and I forgot Taika Waititi made it but Thor 3 is ****ing spectacular. 

I felt some of the previous Thor films took what is ultimately the campest and silliest Marvel concept in the MCU and tried to play it too straight but letting Waititi loose with his own goofy humour and Hemsworth's willingness to laugh at himself made a ****ing great film. 

I was in tears of laughter for half of it. Korg was ****ing inspired. 

Yeah the sillier ones like ragnarok and guardians are my faves. Stark contrast to the noughties when we all wanted gritty reboots.

6 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Yeah the sillier ones like ragnarok and guardians are my faves. Stark contrast to the noughties when we all wanted gritty reboots.

I'd probably agree with Ragnarok and the first Guardians. I think they're probably my favourite two. 

I like a gritty reboot it just has to be appropriate. I mean it looks like the Tom Hardy Venom is quite dark and that works, a dark gritty batman works. 

But a god of thunder in a bright red cloak? Have fun with it. 

Just now, Finnegan said:

I'd probably agree with Ragnarok and the first Guardians. I think they're probably my favourite two. 

I like a gritty reboot it just has to be appropriate. I mean it looks like the Tom Hardy Venom is quite dark and that works, a dark gritty batman works. 

But a god of thunder in a bright red cloak? Have fun with it. 

Yeah fair, I think it's just that after so many years of comics films trying to be dark to distance themselves from the whacky 80s releases it makes a nice tonic to have a more lighthearted affair. Kickass was a bit of a revelation in that respect, hopefully the studios will start to settle on a good balance.

Just now, Carl the Llama said:

Yeah fair, I think it's just that after so many years of comics films trying to be dark to distance themselves from the whacky 80s releases it makes a nice tonic to have a more lighthearted affair. Kickass was a bit of a revelation in that respect, hopefully the studios will start to settle on a good balance.

To be honest, I don't see how the MCU is sustainable whatever they do. 

It's got to hit a wall eventually surely? The problem is its become an enormous machine all on its own, its created jobs, its own localised economy, there'll be people that depend on it. 

But it has to hit a point of saturation where they lose the casual fans who aren't comic book fanatics and just liked the fact the films were new and fresh? 

The Wakanda "hurray Black people!" hype was clever and you can see it being "hurray women!" hype next with Captain Marvel but there's only so far you can use social commentary to gloss over the fact you're basically telling the same Hero vs Villain vs Collateral Damage story on repeat. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

To be honest, I don't see how the MCU is sustainable whatever they do. 

It's got to hit a wall eventually surely? The problem is its become an enormous machine all on its own, its created jobs, its own localised economy, there'll be people that depend on it. 

But it has to hit a point of saturation where they lose the casual fans who aren't comic book fanatics and just liked the fact the films were new and fresh? 

The Wakanda "hurray Black people!" hype was clever and you can see it being "hurray women!" hype next with Captain Marvel but there's only so far you can use social commentary to gloss over the fact you're basically telling the same Hero vs Villain vs Collateral Damage story on repeat. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up like the books themselves with endless reboots/alternate timelines.

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see it end up like the books themselves with endless reboots/alternate timelines.

I definitely think that's the road that they'll take but for how long will it be popular I guess is my point? 

There's a part of me that almost wants them to just completely stop after A4 and call time on it for four or five years minimum. 

I'm not a big super hero / comic fan generally but I have enjoyed the MCU and it would be a shame to see it completely jump the shark. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

I definitely think that's the road that they'll take but for how long will it be popular I guess is my point? 

There's a part of me that almost wants them to just completely stop after A4 and call time on it for four or five years minimum. 

I'm not a big super hero / comic fan generally but I have enjoyed the MCU and it would be a shame to see it completely jump the shark. 

I do not doubt that cutting back on release frequency may well become necessary but it's got to the point where it's such an established entity that even if they do jump it people will always come back to it like whenever a new Bond film comes out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

Image result for gantz o

watched this on netflix the other day. story is fairly shallow but the CGI is outstanding and lots of great action scenes.

it's Japanese (obviously) with Eng subs - easy to follow though tbh. worth it for the visuals alone. 

Watched it a while back, really weird but I liked the key plot elements and like you say it had great CGI so by the end I was looking forward to a sequel.

4 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

Image result for gantz o

watched this on netflix the other day. story is fairly shallow but the CGI is outstanding and lots of great action scenes.

it's Japanese (obviously) with Eng subs - easy to follow though tbh. worth it for the visuals alone. 

So they made a CGI version of the Anime?  I know it is one of the weirder ones and have never really gotten around to watching it, peeps who have died resurrected to do missions or some such?