Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Just been to "Bobby Robson, more than a manager". Very highly recommended.

Honestly, I don't know if it's age, nostalgia, World Cup fever or whatever, but I seem to be getting more emotional. Kept having to fight back (warm) tears during this.

Perfect hors d'oeuvre for the semi(s).

More of a human story than anything. There wasn't much about his tactics, training, views on football style, youth, playing career etc.

What shone through was his positivity, his energy, his likeability and his calm and resilience in the face of stress and adversity (not just in football, but his several bouts of cancer). Seemed like it was this personality that allowed him to be a leader and inspired players to perform for him.

Sounds as if he was shafted several times: by the English FA pre-1990, by the Barcelona hierarchy and by the Newcastle players eventually.

An impressive roll call of big names talking about him - and you could tell that he'd been a big, inspirational figure for many of them: Fergie, Mourinho, Guardiola, Gazza, Brazilian Ronaldo, Shearer, Lineker, Butcher, Arnesen etc.

My only minor criticism: Didn't see the point of jumping around between eras as much as they did: 1996 to 2009 to 1960 to 1986 to 1978 to 1997 to 1990 etc. Avoiding a dull chronological story, fine, but found that a bit OTT.

Would still strongly recommend it, though. :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 09/05/2018 at 10:32, Rincewind said:

Watched Molly's game a film based on a true story and a book my Molly Bloom. She was a potentional olympic skyer but was injured. Then while studying law she took jobs in a office and waitressing in and was asked to help run private high stakes poker games in LA. She branched out on her own and was eventually running the most well known poker game. She was then investigated by the FBI for illegal raking.

Interesting and decent film if you like poker and entranpauers. 

On 09/05/2018 at 14:37, Wookie said:

*Entapraurs

*Sciver

10 hours ago, Max Wall said:

*Sciver

Skier

I'm sure some people just look for typos. If it makes them feel better that's fine by me. It takes all the relevance out of posting though when a typo is more important than the content.

35 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Skier

I'm sure some people just look for typos. If it makes them feel better that's fine by me. It takes all the relevance out of posting though when a typo is more important than the content.

Hahaha, I guessed it was skier to be perfectly honest. Just having a laugh with the sciver thing.

It won't happen again (to you anyway) :D

Apparently they are making a new Robocop that is not a reboot?

Well, it cant beat the original so hopefully it can complement it :)

Thought I'd put this up as well, Weller is just too cool.

Edited by ithuriel

1 hour ago, ithuriel said:

A new Terminator movie that is ignoring everything after the second movie

It could be financially successful which might be all they're aiming for, but it'd have to do something unprecedented to exceed Terminator 2.

The second one is brilliant. They absolutely nailed the depiction of a near-unstoppable killing machine. The action is pretty over the top, but the effects are quality and for what it's trying to represent, it feels perfect and exhilarating to watch.

Probably too much into it, but that is a fun film!

Guest seanfox778

The first 2 Terminator movies and the original Robocop are 3 of my all-time favourites! I hope these are decent. I didn’t actually mind Terminator Genisys so much, I think that’s because they played on the nostalgia element. The Robocop remake was pretty terrible. The scene where he’s just a set of lungs and a head was super depressing.

On 13/07/2018 at 19:25, ithuriel said:

Apparently they are making a new Robocop that is not a reboot?

Well, it cant beat the original so hopefully it can complement it :)

Thought I'd put this up as well, Weller is just too cool.

I went to see the original when it came out. Was in Leicester Square Odeon and all I remember was that it was fvcking freezing in there, and it cost me 13 quid...couldn't wait for the film to finish so I could warm up.

Never watched it since, which I probably should

Saw "Leave no trace" the other night: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/leave_no_trace/

Strongly recommended - particularly for @Buce, judging from some previous discussions in other threads.

Ex-services Dad and teenage daughter are living off the grid in the woods, are forced back into "civilisation" by US social services, then end up back in the woods - with daughter torn between her old wild life with Dad and enjoying at least some aspects of society, while Dad struggles to accept any change.

Very subtle, under-stated presentation of the story - and under-stated acting, despite all the tensions at play.

Guest seanfox778

Apologies if this has already been posted but this looks f***ing mental! The Nicolas Cage film we’ve all been waiting for. It seems like it has a Twin Peaks feel to it.

Edited by seanfox778

On 18/07/2018 at 00:38, Alf Bentley said:

Saw "Leave no trace" the other night: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/leave_no_trace/

Strongly recommended - particularly for @Buce, judging from some previous discussions in other threads.

Ex-services Dad and teenage daughter are living off the grid in the woods, are forced back into "civilisation" by US social services, then end up back in the woods - with daughter torn between her old wild life with Dad and enjoying at least some aspects of society, while Dad struggles to accept any change.

Very subtle, under-stated presentation of the story - and under-stated acting, despite all the tensions at play.

It sounds similar to Captain Fantastic-  a father with bunch of kids living in the wild but they had to get back to the civilisation to attend the mother's funeral.  The father is Viggo Mortensen who always cherry pick good films to act in so it is worth a watch.  

In other news,   I watched Ronaldo (Portuguese one) documentary the other night.   It is an awful ego-driven steaming turd of shit,  what is even more disheartening is how he treats his son sometimes as well.    Just pure arrogance and weird displays of fatherhood,  it is clear that Cristano wants his son as well rest of the world to idolise him,  I would not be too surprised if the kid grew up being bit messed up.  

Edited by The Blur

Guest seanfox778

The Snowman - 6/10

i thought this was quite good after a slow start. Grizzly detective murder mystery, set with a beautiful Norwegian backdrop. An alcoholic cop (funny how the alcoholics make the best detectives in movies) is being sent clues which lead to bloody murders and he has to find the bugger doing it before it gets worse. I had a look on IMDb and it is widely panned on there, it was a bit disjointed and I’ve never been a fan of CGI but it’s rare to see a film without it these days. 

42ABA9C1-0544-42BE-B4E2-1F89D5267274.jpeg

Guest seanfox778
30 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Any body like the film Green Street? I am not a West Ham fan by any means, but it was a great movie imo.

I always preferred Football Factory but the main guy’s sister in Green Street is a dream :wub: