Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Fear of 13 (Netflix)

Basically, a 90 minute monologue by convicted murderer Nick Yarris covering his life story.

All was not what it seemed though.

Nothing outstanding but interesting enough watch.

Despite being wrongly convicted and serving 23 years, Yarris came across as someone it was difficult to be sympathetic towards for some reason that I really can't put my finger on

Caved and gave Braveheart 2 a go. 

Despite some niggly inaccuracies, tbf, it is an infinitely better depiction of the era and the war than Gibson's effort (not exactly hard, given that's probably the least historical historical film of all time.)

Its still full of some ridiculous dewy eyed nationalism about 400 years too early, mind. Still falls in to the same trap of using "conscription" as a plot device, which is nonsense. Still has a few pointlessly barbaric "the English are evil!" moments (apple cart guy, just why?) 

What got me, though, was the ludicrous duel at the end. All suspension of disbelief just went out the window at that point. Ignoring the fact he wasn't even at Loudon Hill, as if he's going to be crying on his own in the mud surrounded by Scots who'd just let him go, with the English all having left. 

Chris Pine was surprisingly not shit mind tbf. 

Edited by Finnegan

7 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Incredibles 2, I suppose you could say it was pretty... good.

We took the kids to see that it s a good film, the youngest one wasn’t impressed with the short movie at the start where a lady makes some dumplings or something it turns into a child grows up goes to leave home and then his mum just eats him ? absolutely devastated and had to go out of the cinema for a bit to calm him down. 

• Haha 4

Can anyone recommend a good (preferably pre-2000s) medieval/historical or medieval fantasy show?

I don't mind the old shows, black and white tv or low budget as long as long as the characters are well written. My favourite is 1980s Robin of Sherwood if it tells anything. I'm currently watching Ivanhoe 1990s BBC adaptation and it's brilliant so far but only 6 episodes :( I'd be obliged for any pointers. I said pre 2000 because I saw a season of Game of Thrones and wasn't very impressed (I liked some aspects of it but it had way too many characters to care about) but if you like some other non-GOT fantasy/historical show let me know. I'm in the process of making a list of series to watch & discuss with my merry bunch (mostly RoS fans).

It could be also set in ancient times like HBO's Rome (I enjoyed it quite a lot) or a fantasy show based on some ancient setting (if theres anything like that). Thanks

9 hours ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Can anyone recommend a good (preferably pre-2000s) medieval/historical or medieval fantasy show?

I don't mind the old shows, black and white tv or low budget as long as long as the characters are well written. My favourite is 1980s Robin of Sherwood if it tells anything. I'm currently watching Ivanhoe 1990s BBC adaptation and it's brilliant so far but only 6 episodes :( I'd be obliged for any pointers. I said pre 2000 because I saw a season of Game of Thrones and wasn't very impressed (I liked some aspects of it but it had way too many characters to care about) but if you like some other non-GOT fantasy/historical show let me know. I'm in the process of making a list of series to watch & discuss with my merry bunch (mostly RoS fans).

It could be also set in ancient times like HBO's Rome (I enjoyed it quite a lot) or a fantasy show based on some ancient setting (if theres anything like that). Thanks

If you've not seen Vikings, you're basically describing Vikings. 

Obviously it's not pre Y2K but if you liked Rome it's similar. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Spartacus tv series or 300 the movie.....?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

If you've not seen Vikings, you're basically describing Vikings. 

Obviously it's not pre Y2K but if you liked Rome it's similar. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

Spartacus tv series or 300 the movie.....?

Cheers guys, I'll check Vikings and Spartacus out. I heard a bit about the former. Already saw 300. I liked the grittiness but would prefer if it had less CGI in it. 

If you like vikings or medieval stuff in general I recommend Valhalla Rising. The pace wont be to everyones liking but I thought it was good 

27 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Cheers guys, I'll check Vikings and Spartacus out. I heard a bit about the former. Already saw 300. I liked the grittiness but would prefer if it had less CGI in it. 

If you like vikings or medieval stuff in general I recommend Valhalla Rising. The pace wont be to everyones liking but I thought it was good 

Spartacus the Tv show, if its the one i'm thinking of its quite raunchy. Lots of sex & violence but then wasn't that what the Romans were all about? Really great show actually and well worth watching if you haven't. 

They made quite a few seasons of it with about 3 different actors playing Spartacus, so if you plan to watch them, try to do it in date order.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Just to add, Black Death with Sean Bean is watchable 

• Thanks 1

Hmm raunchy is it? Now you got me interested!

btw if you dont mind something less raunchy but pretty accurate historically (as much as an ancient Roman themed show with British actors could be anyway!) theres a brilliant BBC series from the 70s I, Claudius.

:claudio:

Derek Jacobi in the title role, great acting and great plot. Not much gladiator fighting and no battles, it's all about Roman elite plotting behind each others back, trying to put poison in other ones chalice or a dagger in the back (ssssnakes ;)). They party a lot though probably some half of it takes place during feasts and infamous Messalina & Caligula are featured in latter episodes too together with their antics. Mind the general tone of the series is more theatrical than cinematic contrary to todays shows like Rome or GoT but if you can handle talk-heavy shows I wholeheartedly recommend it. 

Edited by Chester Dontlie

1 hour ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Hmm raunchy is it? Now you got me interested!

btw if you dont mind something less raunchy but pretty accurate historically (as much as an ancient Roman themed show with British actors could be anyway!) theres a brilliant BBC series from the 70s I, Claudius.

:claudio:

Derek Jacobi in the title role, great acting and great plot. Not much gladiator fighting and no battles, it's all about Roman elite plotting behind each others back, trying to put poison in other ones chalice or a dagger in the back (ssssnakes ;)). They party a lot though probably some half of it takes place during feasts and infamous Messalina & Caligula are featured in latter episodes too together with their antics. Mind the general tone of the series is more theatrical than cinematic contrary to todays shows like Rome or GoT but if you can handle talk-heavy shows I wholeheartedly recommend it. 

Oh its very raunchy, you see lots of naked people like VERY naked, doing very naughty things, in numbers! The gladiator parts are very bloody but really well done and alot of the show does focus on the Roman Elites and how 2 faced they were. Give the 1st episode a try and im sure you will know straight away if its going to be your thing

I remember years ago i read a book called I Claudius and also a follow-up, Claudius the God. Damn heavy reading if i remember correctly, I wonder if the show is based on the books? 

• Haha 1