Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

8 hours ago, Brizzle Fox said:

May as well wind the club up and give one of the minor counties a chance in our slot. Save us this humiliation every year. Not like anyone goes down Grace Road anyway.

If you ever bother going down mate you will see that they get quite a few down there over 700 today.We have more members then Northants Derby Glamorgan and Gloucester btw

• Like 1

2 hours ago, everton carr said:

If you ever bother going down mate you will see that they get quite a few down there over 700 today.We have more members then Northants Derby Glamorgan and Gloucester btw

Chill out dude I'm only messing. And don't call me mate as I doubt we've ever met.

In all seriousness though how are things going to turn around down there as we seem to have been in decline for a number of years (with the odd sign of small steps forward like last season). Looking from a distance these days it would seem that Khan talks the talk but not much seems to happen on the pitch as we continue to rely on has beens and never will be's.

It's tough to see how bad we are particularly in the longer form of the game as someone who remembers when we used to challenge for and win County Championships.

I appreciate we are probably in the bottom six of the 18 counties but do we have an awful team? Cosgrove, McKay, Dexter, Horton, Pettini are all good or solid county players who've played internationally or first division cricket. That's half a team.

We should have a team that is capable of winning a game or reaching 100 points in the second division. We aren't the team or club of 20 years ago that won Championships and challenged in the one-day competitions around the start of the century but the decline and stasis has been alarming. Since relegation in 2003, we've won 36 four-day games- that's fewer than three per season. 

The fact 700 people turn out to a match that will probably see us winless for the season is a remarkable effort. The fact the opposition, a similar sized (possibly smaller) club, could win promotion should be the motivation.

6 hours ago, Corky said:

I appreciate we are probably in the bottom six of the 18 counties but do we have an awful team? Cosgrove, McKay, Dexter, Horton, Pettini are all good or solid county players who've played internationally or first division cricket. That's half a team.

We should have a team that is capable of winning a game or reaching 100 points in the second division. We aren't the team or club of 20 years ago that won Championships and challenged in the one-day competitions around the start of the century but the decline and stasis has been alarming. Since relegation in 2003, we've won 36 four-day games- that's fewer than three per season. 

The fact 700 people turn out to a match that will probably see us winless for the season is a remarkable effort. The fact the opposition, a similar sized (possibly smaller) club, could win promotion should be the motivation.

Your last points a very good one Northants are totally skint have  only 15 full time pro's  yet look like there going to get promoted?Shows what can be done with a good coach who can spot a player not wanted elsewhere.like we used to do 20 years ago with the likes of Millns Habib Mullally Wells etc.

By the sounds of things a very strange days play from 23-7 to having them 8 down at the close. Really sad that the county are in decline but feel the calls for loss of 1st class status is premature. We have developed a number of half decent cricketers over the last couple of decades that sadly have been poached, Broad has been a stand out and Taylor was destined for big things, Wright,Maddy,Nixon and Gurney have all represented England at some level. Some counties hardly ever have  anyone play for  the national side

13 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

A lead of 60 with 7 wickets left, dare we hope.....

Now 70 in front with 7 wickets left and the beauty of county cricket. Northans need to bowl us out but keep the scoring down we can push on with sensible cricket and hopefully set them a challenging target.

33 minutes ago, katieakita said:

Now 70 in front with 7 wickets left and the beauty of county cricket. Northans need to bowl us out but keep the scoring down we can push on with sensible cricket and hopefully set them a challenging target.

2 wickets for Kerrigan, not sure what kind of shot Dexter was playing! Still need another 100 to make it interesting 

Club needs a full revamp in terms of playing staff. Couple of the youngsters have some potential but apart from that there is nothing. Give more youngsters the chance is the only way forward really with a solid overseas pro.

How has aadil Ali's progress been ? Bowled very well in the t20's but overall hasn't been given much of a chance is my opinion 

25 minutes ago, Worthington said:

Khan saying we need a near 'root and branch' job, by the sound of it...So who goes, who stays, who signs?

Personally would keep:

Cosgrove, Ali, Chappell, Hill, Parkinson & Raine...Ppossibly Dexter too, as his occasional bowling brought some valuable wickets. 

Also the young talents, Evans, Fazackerly and Swindells who've hardly had a 'sniff' between 'em yet !

Ditch:

McKays gone as we know, Pettini too by the looks of it! I wouldn't be too downhearted if Griffiths left too..Young I know, but a bowling average of 80+ isn't acceptable! Jones too hasn't contributed so I'd happily see him leave, (thought he was only a loanee anyhow)!

On the fence:

Ackermann, Injury didn't help him....Think there's  better to come perhaps...DeBruyne boy though ??

Delport, again didn't get a decent run in the team..Seems a bit 'marmite'...Good on his day, abysmal on others !

Eckersley, generally not up to his best in 2017...Who was though??

Dearden, decent talent, but not up to being an opener yet...hope his confidence hasn't been 'shot' !

Wells...again capable of better than he brought to the table!

Horton...Ditto... Didn't contribute enough...Us signing Carberry says it all !

Klein, really not sure. Had the odd really good game, but the odd 'stinker' too! 

Sayer, didn't really grasp the chances he was given!

Ins!

Not convinced /inspired by Carberry... Just hope he proves me totally wrong !

Javid I'm a little more hopeful about and I'd not be unhappy if we were to try and get Pillans in permanently..He did look like he cared!

Thoughts ??

All on contract for NEXT SEASON

16 hours ago, Worthington said:

That's the problem...Leaves little 'wriggle room' for next season and potential new signings!

Possible that one or two might try to negotiate their way out, (hopefully). Could depend on what they think when the coach appointment is made.

That's what puzzles/disappoints me about signing Carberry. Wouldn't expect him to be playing for peanuts...yet he did little to inspire renewed hope for next term ! 

Really not sure they can afford anymore payoffs.Tom New Wayne White PDB and Keith Piper all had  the contracts played off in full apart from White who received 50k.Can't see any other Country wanting to sign any