Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

6 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Me aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the Farmer!

All the best to Somerset for the rest of the season; a match which was hard fought and appeared to be played in the right spirit (I confess I didn't see all of it)

Overton has generally impressed me in the county game but it sounds like he's got the bit between this teeth this season.

Haven't got a high level seamer we can borrow for a few matches have you? Outside of Wright's skill and know how, Evans' ability to get a bit of bounce from docile pitches and the one in 12 spells from Klein that is good (which is usually exceptional), we are well short!

I seen some clips of a young bowler called Sonny Baker in pre-season and he looked tasty. Perhaps a bit young still for a loan spell.

3 hours ago, CrawlingFox said:

As far as bowling is concerned it doesn't seem to be going too well so far...Modwadhia with 2 wickets though, Davis hasn't bowled either.

Davis seemed to be batting quite well though. I notice Bates was standing up to Modhwadia at the end of the day, tiredness or tactics I don't know.

As we struggle to bowl sides out maybe we should just acknowledge this and pick a side this Thursday hoping for a draw - not such a bad option with increased points this season. So we could drop one of the medium pacers and pick Rhodes as a second spinner/batter. My garden is dry as a bone with cracks appearing everywhere, Lord knows what kind of drought we'll have this year, so surely two spinners is the way to go for most games this season.

Thank you to all who took the trouble to read my reports and to CF for the kind comments. I look forward to the return match at Taunton and hopefully to being back in a seat in the stands. All being well, I aim to report on that match and will post links here. As to a spare pace bowler TPH, I am afraid, whilst we have five experienced front line pace bowlers, you saw four of them in this match plus Jack Brooks, the back up is as inexperienced as the top five are experienced. As to Sonny Baker CF, he is 18. I haven't seen him either in the flesh or online. Those that have rate him, but think he needs to develop more variety against top flight batsmen. There is time.

Best wishes all

Farmer

1 hour ago, MaidstoneFox said:

Davis seemed to be batting quite well though. I notice Bates was standing up to Modhwadia at the end of the day, tiredness or tactics I don't know.

As we struggle to bowl sides out maybe we should just acknowledge this and pick a side this Thursday hoping for a draw - not such a bad option with increased points this season. So we could drop one of the medium pacers and pick Rhodes as a second spinner/batter. My garden is dry as a bone with cracks appearing everywhere, Lord knows what kind of drought we'll have this year, so surely two spinners is the way to go for most games this season.

It's an idea. Although Rhodes first class bowling average of a 105 doesn't fill me with optimism. But two spinners could be a good way forward. Nat Bowley has vanished. Our other contrated spinner

11 hours ago, Cake said:

It's an idea. Although Rhodes first class bowling average of a 105 doesn't fill me with optimism. But two spinners could be a good way forward. Nat Bowley has vanished. Our other contrated spinner

Yes it's unlikely he'll be a revelation. Some players though, do improve the weaker side of their game and that ends up their stronger side. Best example of course is Darren Stevens, but Paul Walter started off as a bowler for Essex and this season seems to be batting 5 or 6.

11 hours ago, Farmer White said:

Thank you to all who took the trouble to read my reports and to CF for the kind comments. I look forward to the return match at Taunton and hopefully to being back in a seat in the stands. All being well, I aim to report on that match and will post links here. As to a spare pace bowler TPH, I am afraid, whilst we have five experienced front line pace bowlers, you saw four of them in this match plus Jack Brooks, the back up is as inexperienced as the top five are experienced. As to Sonny Baker CF, he is 18. I haven't seen him either in the flesh or online. Those that have rate him, but think he needs to develop more variety against top flight batsmen. There is time.

Best wishes all

Farmer

I'm half-tempted to take some days off and go down to this. One of the county grounds I still need to tick off.

Is Taunton any good for a few beers as a town?

34 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I'm half-tempted to take some days off and go down to this. One of the county grounds I still need to tick off.

Is Taunton any good for a few beers as a town?

Yes, well ciders anyway! 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Cake said:

Davis must be injured still is he? Anyone know what happened to Nat Bowley? 

Davis only batting for the 2nds so must still be carrying a knock.

Bowley signed a 2 year deal back in June/July time last year so must be injured given no sign of him for the seconds.

VB

I am afraid I can't help on the subject of beers, or cider, as I drink nothing stronger than lemonade. I am sure there will be many in the ground who could advise on either - or both. The ground is right in the town centre and about 10-15 minutes walk from the station. The Ring of Bells, just outside the ground, next to the church, always seems to fill up very quickly after play. The Plough, between the ground and the station, also attracts a goodly crowd. I can't comment on them myself, only on where I see others disappear into.

Farmer

• Thanks 2