Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

On 09/05/2021 at 22:02, Lako42 said:

You haven't been told off and clearly we were talking about this specific part of his commentary, which he explained at the time. 

He doesn't talk shit, he commentates on a game that takes part over the entire day for 4 days in a row, not 90 minutes, so maybe cut him some slack? 

I'm sure your Dad can take some criticism

• Like 1

On 09/05/2021 at 22:02, Lako42 said:

You haven't been told off and clearly we were talking about this specific part of his commentary, which he explained at the time. 

He doesn't talk shit, he commentates on a game that takes part over the entire day for 4 days in a row, not 90 minutes, so maybe cut him some slack? 

I find this defence of him a bit odd to be honest; not that you're defending him at all, but I expected 'he tries his best' , 'he's a nice bloke' or whatever.

He's completely out of touch; his 'knowledge' is really lacking considering its his job. I know more than he does and I don't have the access to players or counties or the time to prepare like he has.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

So the club have signed Louis Kimber and he's straight into the squad for tomorrow.

Not sure another batsman was what we needed with Rhodes, Steele, Bates and Welch on full time contracts languishing in the seconds but wish him well.

Weird one that, plus Dearden and Patel who also never plays! 

Decent player mind but 7 extra batsmen is odd! Plus Nat Bowley is predominantly a batsmen 

• Like 1

Batting wise when you look at the 7 mentioned:

Patel, Steele, Welch, Rhodes, Bates, Kimber, Dearden.

They're all either solid/reasonable or for the younger guys, at least have some level of potential but why do we have 7 spare batsmen? Especially given the t20 batting will be augmented by Inglis and Lilley.

Similar with the pace bowling unit beyond Wright:

Evans, Mike, Davis, Barnes, Griffiths and Klein.

I don't think any are bad and some indeed have potential.

But surely we could have signed a couple of considerably stronger pace bowlers (especially as we still have a spare overseas slot) in place of say, any 4 of the players named in both lists.

Previously I could have given Nixon some leeway in that I think we've all been pleasantly surprised by Hill and Evans but the addition of Kimber now does look odd. He clearly has talent and I hope he goes on to score many runs for us but they may be in vain this season if we can't take 20 wickets.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, CrawlingFox said:

Batting wise when you look at the 7 mentioned:

Patel, Steele, Welch, Rhodes, Bates, Kimber, Dearden.

They're all either solid/reasonable or for the younger guys, at least have some level of potential but why do we have 7 spare batsmen? Especially given the t20 batting will be augmented by Inglis and Lilley.

Similar with the pace bowling unit beyond Wright:

Evans, Mike, Davis, Barnes, Griffiths and Klein.

I don't think any are bad and some indeed have potential.

But surely we could have signed a couple of considerably stronger pace bowlers (especially as we still have a spare overseas slot) in place of say, any 4 of the players named in both lists.

Previously I could have given Nixon some leeway in that I think we've all been pleasantly surprised by Hill and Evans but the addition of Kimber now does look odd. He clearly has talent and I hope he goes on to score many runs for us but they may be in vain this season if we can't take 20 wickets.

By his profile, maybe county are hoping to put out a team on University Challenge. We could have Evans, Azad, Kimber and Welch, all Loughborough grads.

I agree with everything you say, but there never seems to be any explanation of strategy from the club. Three of those guys also bowl a bit of part-time spin (Kimber, Rhodes, Steel), which also seems to be replicating skills and Steel took 6 wickets today for the seconds along with runs in the first innings, so he can't be far off the first XL. I do think it means that time will finally be called on Dearden's spell at the county - to me he always looks like a good club cricketer and no more.

Parkinson and Kimber left out interestingly. Parkinson out gives a better balance to the side early on in the season with the extra batsman in Patel and Ackermann is still there for spin. Although ironically it wasnt batting that we had an issue with so one less bowler probably won't help.

Fingers crossed the bowlers can build on the improvement in the last game and keep Hampshire's batters contained.

I think Barnes has potential as does Evans. Really need a good, well tried seamer to go with Wright. Harris at Middlesex looking for a loan as is Finn as is Pillans from Yorkshire. 

Edited by Cake
  • Like 1