Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sods

Leicestershire County Cricket Club

Really enjoyed Mike going big on a couple of shots!

At times I've wondered if either his batting or bowling are strong enough to have him in the side as an all rounder but his batting looks to have been more confident over the last couple games.

• Like 1

Anyone else thinking that Surrey will get about 800 batting on this track against our bowlers?! Seriously, though, this has been another decent batting display. Guess the weather will mean tomorrow is a washout so will be hard to force any kind of result. After last week's debacle, I wouldn't be confident of our setting and defending any target under about 600.

Edited by Sunbury Fox

13 minutes ago, Stadt said:

When’s the last time we had three players get a ton?

Mentioned on commentary it was 2014, I think?

Three Leicestershire-born players have now scored centuries in successive games too. Another one for the record books.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

Mentioned on commentary it was 2014, I think?

Three Leicestershire-born players have now scored centuries in successive games too. Another one for the record books.

This is what I hate any pathetic, self defeating talk from Leicestershire fans about becoming a minor county. We've got a great track record of producing talented cricketers.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Stadt said:

This is what I hate any pathetic, self defeating talk from Leicestershire fans about becoming a minor county. We've got a great track record of producing talented cricketers.

The key has always been convincing them they have a good future here.

That's irrelevant, we're producing the talent.

The fact that other counties try and pinch them should be seen as a real dereliction in their respnsibility to the game which is to support a strong England test team.

Notts for example, years of nothing through their academy.

8 minutes ago, HaroldBazBo said:

The fact that other counties try and pinch them should be seen as a real dereliction in their respnsibility to the game which is to support a strong England test team.

It annoys me that other counties can just take our players too.

My point was that if we can convince talented players to stay for a while and knit together a competitive team, the Minor County talk will reduce.

• Like 1

The minor county talk will only go away if we start being fully competitive. How many first class games have we won over the last 10 years? Very few. In fact, we went 3 or 4 years without winning a single game at one point.

By contrast, teams like Northants and even Derbys continue to be far more competitive despite having a similar budget and losing their best players to the likes of Notts eg Duckett. Not sure how they are doing it but we need to find a way to emulate them. Hopefully the current strategy of developing a young team will pay dividends, but our bowling attack is currently way off being good enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

The minor county talk will only go away if we start being fully competitive. How many first class games have we won over the last 10 years? Very few. In fact, we went 3 or 4 years without winning a single game at one point.

By contrast, teams like Northants and even Derbys continue to be far more competitive despite having a similar budget and losing their best players to the likes of Notts eg Duckett. Not sure how they are doing it but we need to find a way to emulate them. Hopefully the current strategy of developing a young team will pay dividends, but our bowling attack is currently way off being good enough.

On the plus side, when we beat Essex to finally win a County Championship game, the back page of the Southend Echo the next day was GLORIOUS.

12 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I think you're right. But although we'll always struggle to hold on to the likes of Stuart Broad and James Taylor, I think if we can claw our way back to being competitive we stand a better chance of keeping whoever the next Cobb or Buck is that the academy produces. There is a chicken and egg aspect to that though.

20 hours ago, HaroldBazBo said:

Not a Notts fan but will defend them on this Patel Hales and Ball from academy plus Hassan Azad and until he was 15 Ben Mike

14 hours ago, HaroldBazBo said:

Will be interesting to see how we go against Middlesex. Roland Jones out. Keep on getting skittled for sub 200.

They haven't met our bowlers yet!

Any result looks unlikely today unless they declare, we fortify and set then them 350 in two sessions.