Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

This period of insomnia is really starting to depress me. I swam two sessions of a mile each today trying to tire myself out, then dropped a sleeping tablet before bedtime, and yet here I am wide awake again. I can’t continue like this, I’m getting no more than a couple of hours a night. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

This period of insomnia is really starting to depress me. I swam two sessions of a mile each today trying to tire myself out, then dropped a sleeping tablet before bedtime, and yet here I am wide awake again. I can’t continue like this, I’m getting no more than a couple of hours a night. 

Apparently Wymes also has problems nodding off as mentioned on another thread ....    perhaps you could open an insomnia thread and have a chat with him ...    might just put you straight to sleep ! ...    :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Buce said:

I can understand that, if you're not sleeping then it really messes up your life and makes it difficult to function normally.

One of the problems with insomnia is that it turns the night from a period of rest into a period of stress.  You have to be able to relax in order to sleep and if you don't then the stress levels go up, it's a vicious circle.  It helps if you're tired but the adrenaline you get from stress can overcome that.

What type of sleeping tablet are you using?  I've tried a few having suffered from insomnia for a protracted period of my life, and still occasionally now, and I've found most of the over the counter medicines to be ineffective.

I found that I had to take a sufficient dose of a prescription hypnotic to ensure sleep in order to know that it would give me some rest, then I was able to relax.  Over a period of months I slowly reduced the dose until I was able to sleep with a low dose and from there I found that I eventually could sleep naturally.

Sleep is a habit, if your body is used to not sleeping until, for example, 3 am, then it will be difficult to sleep before that time.  It's useful to take sleeping tablets early in order to sleep at the time you want and to re-set your body clock.

1 hour ago, Crinklyfox said:

I can understand that, if you're not sleeping then it really messes up your life and makes it difficult to function normally.

One of the problems with insomnia is that it turns the night from a period of rest into a period of stress.  You have to be able to relax in order to sleep and if you don't then the stress levels go up, it's a vicious circle.  It helps if you're tired but the adrenaline you get from stress can overcome that.

What type of sleeping tablet are you using?  I've tried a few having suffered from insomnia for a protracted period of my life, and still occasionally now, and I've found most of the over the counter medicines to be ineffective.

I found that I had to take a sufficient dose of a prescription hypnotic to ensure sleep in order to know that it would give me some rest, then I was able to relax.  Over a period of months I slowly reduced the dose until I was able to sleep with a low dose and from there I found that I eventually could sleep naturally.

Sleep is a habit, if your body is used to not sleeping until, for example, 3 am, then it will be difficult to sleep before that time.  It's useful to take sleeping tablets early in order to sleep at the time you want and to re-set your body clock.

The thing is, Crinkly, although it's not unusual for me to have a period of insomnia (I usually have it maybe two or three times a year), it's unprecedented for it not to respond to sleeping tablets (Zopiclone). Most times it sorts itself out in a week or two, but on the odd occasion when it doesn't, a short course of pills resets everything. This time they haven't worked and I can't figure out why.

It couldn't have come at a worse time either. 90% of the time my business runs on auto-pilot with minimal input required from me, but this a time where it requires my attention and for that I need to be mentally alert, which I'm not.

27 minutes ago, Buce said:

The thing is, Crinkly, although it's not unusual for me to have a period of insomnia (I usually have it maybe two or three times a year), it's unprecedented for it not to respond to sleeping tablets (Zopiclone). Most times it sorts itself out in a week or two, but on the odd occasion when it doesn't, a short course of pills resets everything. This time they haven't worked and I can't figure out why.

It couldn't have come at a worse time either. 90% of the time my business runs on auto-pilot with minimal input required from me, but this a time where it requires my attention and for that I need to be mentally alert, which I'm not.

I've always found Zopiclone to be very effective for me so if that isn't working I don't know what to suggest other than seeing your GP.  The only other type of pill that's worked for me is a melatonin substitute which I took in the USA for a very short period but they're illegal in the UK.

48 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Just got up this morning and decided to drive to Cambridge. Sitting on the bus from the park and ride as I type.

My head is all over the place at the moment, so I’m gonna walk round the colleges, have a bit of lunch and try to decide where I go from here.

lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest seanfox778
16 minutes ago, Strokes said:

lol

I was literally about to write that there's something very Alan Partridge about Col's post. lol

Edited by seanfox778

1 minute ago, seanfox778 said:

I was literally about to write that there's something very Alan Partridge about that post. lol

Yeah I’m regretting it now, as I’ve read col’s post back I’m not so sure if he is ok or not.

I was just taking the piss Col because your normally good for it but if you aren’t ok mate, sorry.

Had a 1.30 meeting in Birmingham scheduled for today. 11.03 train from Euston to Birmingham cancelled, 11.23 too full. Got on 11.43 to Glasgow (via Birmingham)...train stopped at Rugby and we all got chucked off. Told line was closed and alternative transport may be made available (?). 

Debated whether meeting was worth it and decided to bin it. Now on train back to London. Left home at 9am and will get back at 3pm...all for a 20 minute visit to Rugby train station :(

Virgin train staff extraordinarily unhelpful, miserable, argumentative and dismissive. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah I’m regretting it now, as I’ve read col’s post back I’m not so sure if he is ok or not.

I was just taking the piss Col because your normally good for it but if you aren’t ok mate, sorry.

Thought you sounded a bit mean, which isn’t like you Strokes ...    seemed  a bit of an odd post by Col ...     soon find out I hope.  

Hope all is well Col ...    enjoy Cambridge...   great place to visit.   I remember pointing to a hotel room that was in a sort of spire shaped turret and saying to my girlfriend  “We’ve stayed in that room haven’t we ? “ ...    “No “ she said ...     Oops !!!   :unsure:

18 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

I wasn't sure where to post this but if anyone can advise, last night I went on a date (I haven't been on many to gain experience from) and have since been told there wasn't chemistry between us. I've had confidence problems for much of my life and was wondering what I can do to help not stay like this forever.. :(

Worse for me mate..... I went on a date a week or so ago, it was good and we got on, she seemed well up for a second date and then whenever I suggested something I was told  "can't do that" or something along those lines. I've since gave up unless she miraculously randomly texts me.

Just keep going. And try to be positive. I'm no expert (believe me) but I rekon confidence plays some sort of role, even if you're faking it. 

I dunno how you are but personally I'd rather be told 'no' then just blanked and left wondering. Had that before where there's no reply.

4 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Thought you sounded a bit mean, which isn’t like you Strokes ...    seemed  a bit of an odd post by Col ...     soon find out I hope.  

Hope all is well Col ...    enjoy Cambridge...   great place to visit.   I remember pointing to a hotel room that was in a sort of spire shaped turret and saying to my girlfriend  “We’ve stayed in that room haven’t we ? “ ...    “No “ she said ...     Oops !!!   :unsure:

It wasn’t meant as mean CF, I just missed the potential distress in the post initially. I definitely do not want to kick a man whilst he is down.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I was working in Queniborough  today and saw one of these in the person's garden.

GreatSpottedWoodpecker.jpg

The greater spotted one Webbo ...   red arse gives it away ...    the lesser is much much less common but a feather in your cap (no pun intended) if you see one ...   much smaller, quieter, slightly scruffier and less bold blocks of colour.

8 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Worse for me mate..... I went on a date a week or so ago, it was good and we got on, she seemed well up for a second date and then whenever I suggested something I was told  "can't do that" or something along those lines. I've since gave up unless she miraculously randomly texts me.

Just keep going. And try to be positive. I'm no expert (believe me) but I rekon confidence plays some sort of role, even if you're faking it. 

I dunno how you are but personally I'd rather be told 'no' then just blanked and left wondering. Had that before where there's no reply.

I've been down on it because it's the first girl I've met where I've had things in common with, like obscure things that made me think this is what I've waited all my life for to meet someone I share this with. I thought we got on ok, but I wasn't very good at filling silences which I've always been bad at - how does someone improve at this? But to be told there was no chemistry etc was not good to hear and can't stop looking back and wishing I was better.

10 hours ago, Milo said:

Had a 1.30 meeting in Birmingham scheduled for today. 11.03 train from Euston to Birmingham cancelled, 11.23 too full. Got on 11.43 to Glasgow (via Birmingham)...train stopped at Rugby and we all got chucked off. Told line was closed and alternative transport may be made available (?). 

Debated whether meeting was worth it and decided to bin it. Now on train back to London. Left home at 9am and will get back at 3pm...all for a 20 minute visit to Rugby train station :(

Virgin train staff extraordinarily unhelpful, miserable, argumentative and dismissive. 

London Northwestern and Virgin, welcome to my life lol. Absolutely shocking line, the past four months have been so bad I've had serious thoughts about changing job for something that doesn't involve rail travel.

10 hours ago, Milo said:

Touch wood iv never had a problem with virgin other than the over crowding. For comfort and speed they beat midland main line hands down.