Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Alternatively I used to keep a book of crosswords by the bed and it was effective to a point but not as much as the games.  I guess crosswords aren't repetitive enough to make my brain force quit as effectively.

Then again I notice I've completely glossed over your key problem of being too tired to concentrate. Can't say I've ever experienced that particular sensation without dropping off soon after so I'm guessing we require different solutions.  If I try to go to sleep normally my brain will keep loudly saying "I'm alert, I'm alert, I'm alert, I'm alert, I'm alert..." and I'll never fall asleep until I've been lying there listening to it race for hours, with the repetitive games it's more "I'm alert, I'm alert, I'm al- ok seriously you're just making me tell your finger to press the same button over and over again, I'm outta here.".  Alas I lack the knowledge to suggest any techniques for defeating a tired brain that won't switch off save the time honoured mental arithmetic tricks my parents used to tell me to do which I never really found to work for me and I'm guessing you've already discovered the same.

Yeah, it's not a new phenomenon. I get these periods from time to time where I'm exhausted through lack of sleep and I go to bed thinking I'm bound to sleep  - it's all I've wanted to do all day - but when bedtime comes, I'm just lying there unable to switch off. I came off here about 03.15, tried again, gave up trying after a couple of hours after realising there's no point any more because it's nearly time to get up. Today will be a day of poor concentration levels where I'm probably unfit to drive safely or do very much else that requires being alert, then tonight will be the same old.

Doctors on Monday.

@Buce, drugs are just a short term solution and in the long run they will do more harm than good (not talking about drugs for illnesses, just the insomnia and what not).

when i get the once in a while headaches (or insomnia), i refuse to take any medicine (not even aspirin) because i'm afraid my body will get used to it  (i know it's hard to get used to aspirin after a couple of nights, and it's just asprin, but that's just me). the pain must be 8 out of 10 or higher for me to try a pill.

maybe it's your diet or something, try changing what you eat for a while or just take strolls to clear up your mind. they say stress or physical pain may cause insomnia ,especially back pain, no matter how insignificant the pain may seem, the body will effect the mind.

and yeah, make sure that you don't take any mid-day naps. 

Edited by the fox

3 minutes ago, the fox said:

@Buce, drugs are just a short term solution and in the long run they will do more harm than good (not talking about drugs for illnesses, just the insomnia and what not).

when i get the once in a while headaches (or insomnia), i refuse to take any medicine (not even aspirin) because i'm afraid my body will get used to it  (i know it's hard to get used to aspirin after a couple of nights, and it's just asprin, but that's just me). the pain must be 8 out of 10 or higher for me to try a pill.

maybe it's your diet or something, try changing what you eat for a while or just take strolls to clear up your mind. they say stress or physical pain may cause insomnia ,especially back pain, no matter how insignificant the pain may seem, the body will effect the mind

Yeah, I get what you're saying, mate, but I find that a short course of sleeping pills (and by short I mean three or four days) resets my sleeping pattern. Usually my periods of insomnia work themselves out without recourse to drugs, but occasionally nothing else works.

Thanks for your concern, though. :)

• Like 1

Buce have you tried doing some late night running / going to exercise at the gym before bed? 

I've always found that if I'm struggling to sleep - heading out for a run or exercising (maybe even some yoga at home) before bed is good for making you sleepy.

you want to try and put anything with a screen - phone, laptop, PS4, TV - down/away a good hour or so before bedtime.

Picking up a book like Webbo suggested is good because it isn't a screen so the brightness doesn't keep you awake.

If you do insist on using technology until late at night then you can download programs like FLUX which start to turn your screen from bright white colours to deeper oranges as the sun-sets and night sets in. This helps your eyes to start adjusting for bedtime and actually makes you turn things off a bit earlier - it really does work to make you tired.

5 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

Buce have you tried doing some late night running / going to exercise at the gym before bed? 

I've always found that if I'm struggling to sleep - heading out for a run or exercising (maybe even some yoga at home) before bed is good for making you sleepy.

you want to try and put anything with a screen - phone, laptop, PS4, TV - down/away a good hour or so before bedtime.

Picking up a book like Webbo suggested is good because it isn't a screen so the brightness doesn't keep you awake.

If you do insist on using technology until late at night then you can download programs like FLUX which start to turn your screen from bright white colours to deeper oranges as the sun-sets and night sets in. This helps your eyes to start adjusting for bedtime and actually makes you turn things off a bit earlier - it really does work to make you tired.

Yeah, late evening is when I train with weights (the missus works nights and my daughter is in bed for 9pm).

It's not an issue with sleepiness - I feel sleepy, particularly after a couple of nights with it.

On 06/01/2018 at 08:08, Buce said:

Yeah, I get what you're saying, mate, but I find that a short course of sleeping pills (and by short I mean three or four days) resets my sleeping pattern. Usually my periods of insomnia work themselves out without recourse to drugs, but occasionally nothing else works.

Thanks for your concern, though. :)

I’ve struggled with sleeping for a while now, probably caused by mild anxiety. I’ve tried to switch my mind off from worrying about the day ahead, or ‘silly’ things by picking a subject, ie cities, animals or whatever comes to mind, then go through the alphabet and see how many l can name. It doesn’t always work but can help.

11 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Look at all that cloud, hope you took an umbrella

Well funnily enough Rog it’s been raining here all the time and the forecast for the week ahead is rain every day ..   so yes we have a brolly and yes we have been using it.   I took a quick pic when the sun came out for a few minutes earlier.    Please don’t tell anyone else though as I want to make them think we are having a lovely sunny time while they are all shivering back at home ...    our little secret ! ..     :thumbup:

4 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Well funnily enough Rog it’s been raining here all the time and the forecast for the week ahead is rain every day ..   so yes we have a brolly and yes we have been using it.   I took a quick pic when the sun came out for a few minutes earlier.    Please don’t tell anyone else though as I want to make them think we are having a lovely sunny time while they are all shivering back at home ...    our little secret ! ..     :thumbup:

Apparently, the temperature may dip as low as 28C next week too.

I hope you took your woollens.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Have you tried Amitryptaline? I take them for something unrelated to sleep but they work wonders for sleeping.

I haven’t tried sleeping tablets for over 15 years since I had a terrible experience with them. Maybe I should see a doctor for advice though.

18 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Have you tried Amitryptaline? I take them for something unrelated to sleep but they work wonders for sleeping.

I've taken a low dose for a trapped nerve but didn't notice any sleepiness with it.

34 minutes ago, Buce said:

I've taken a low dose for a trapped nerve but didn't notice any sleepiness with it.

You have to take it for a week or so before you notice it. As a pain relief its onset is quick but for other things it takes a while. I use it as I get a lot of physical anxiety symptoms like muscle spasms etc and it took a week to do anything and then It became the best thing in the world. 

Edited by Benguin

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Right. Too much weight has crept on again. I can’t get into my nice clothes once more.

Slimming world returns, starting today.

?

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Started doing Atkins again, 4 days ago after returning from holiday. 3lbs lost so far.. 

(Prefer Atkins over the others as i can still eat eggs bacon and meat.) 

Perhaps we could start a dieting thread for us three porkers and that other big tub of lard Merging Cultures ...    amongst others ...   

Its the 5 2 for me as its the only one I can do cus for 5 days I can eat normally and more importantly drink what I want ...   and I really believe that fasting is very good for you.    

Perhaps we we could call it  ‘The fat fookers thread” or perhaps. “Col and his fat friends”  ? ....     :)

• Haha 2