Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Milan

Bob Hazell on TB "It must be at least 36 hours since we were main headlines, what's next I wonder.............?"

I wonder is it's related to this story. Anyone know any 69 years olds linked to city?? :whistle:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7116823.stm

Thracian?

What the fu ck have you done now?

Arrests over football corruption

Five men have been arrested in connection with alleged corruption in football, police have said.

City of London Police said the men - aged 69, 60, 55, 48 and 30 - were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting.

The arrests were part of the force's ongoing investigation into corruption within the game, a spokeswoman said.

One search is still under way and seven others have been concluded at locations across the country, she added.

Detectives from the economic crime unit of the City of London Police are investigating allegations of corruption within football and its impact on owners and shareholders.

In July, officers raided Newcastle United, Portsmouth and Rangers football clubs as part of the inquiry.

Seven arrests

Last year, the Premier League asked former Metropolitan Police Commissioner Lord Stevens and his company, Quest, to carry out a separate inquiry into several hundred player transfer deals.

In June, Lord Stevens presented his final report, which highlighted concerns over 17 transfers and five Premier League clubs.

City of London Police have distanced their investigation from Lord Stevens' inquiry.

The latest arrests bring the total number of people detained in connection with the investigation to seven.

In September, a 28-year-old man was arrested in London and in May, a 61-year-old man was arrested in Manchester on suspicion of money laundering.

Don't think it will have anything to do with us based on that.

Don't think it will have anything to do with us based on that.

Really??????

"One search is still under way and seven others have been concluded at locations across the country"

"In July, officers raided Newcastle United, Portsmouth and Rangers football clubs as part of the inquiry."

Really??????

"One search is still under way and seven others have been concluded at locations across the country"

"In July, officers raided Newcastle United, Portsmouth and Rangers football clubs as part of the inquiry."

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=40002

I could be wrong (it has been known :rolleyes: ) but I seem to recall that when these raids initially happened either LM or RL, possibly both, said that the investigations were re: events after MM left Pompey.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but let's hope I'm right. Besides which, there must be more than a few 69 year olds involved with football at it's many levels.

Premier League manager Harry Redknapp arrested in football bungs probe

Police investigating corruption in football today arrested Harry Redknapp, Milan Mandaric and three other men in their biggest operation so far.

The Portsmouth manager and Leicester chairman were held in pre-dawn raids this morning which involved more than 60 officers from the City of London Police.

Tottenham's Pascal Chimbonda has already been arrested

Rangers midfielder Amdy Faye, agent Willie McKay and Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storrie were also held as officers searched eight addresses across the UK.

The move is believed to be a significant development in the inquiry wgich will now focus on the transfer of Faye from Auxerre to Portsmouth for £1.5million in 2005 and his subsequent move to Newcastle for £2m the following year.

When Faye made the switch to Portsmouth, Mandaric was still the chairman at Fratton Park and Redknapp was again the club's manager when the midfielder went to St James' Park.

The arrests come after the arrest in September of Tottenham defender Pascal Chimbonda. The 28-year-old French international moved to Spurs in a £4.5m transfer from Wigan in August of last year and was the first player to be held in the City of London police inquiry.

Today police refused to give details of the identity of those held, beyond giving their ages as 69, 60, 55, 48 and 30.

A police spokeswoman said: “We can confirm that they have been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and false accounting.

“The arrests are part of the City of London police's investigation into football corruption.” The City police's economic crime department launched the investigation, code-named Operation Apprentice, into alleged corruption in the sport more than a year ago.

Two people have been held so far. As well as Chimbonda, who was arrested on suspicion of fraud, a 61-year old man has been held on suspicion of money laundering.

Both men are on police bail pending further inquiries. The investigation centres on alleged tax fraud and money laundering — which is believed to include claims of individuals taking back-handers in relation to transfers. Since the inquiry was launched, detectives have raided Newcastle, Portsmouth and Glasgow Rangers.

Chimbonda's transfer was negotiated by McKay, who represents a number of top foreign players.

A former bookie, McKay, has denied that he is being investigated by police and has said: “I think you will probably find when it all comes out, it will be nothing."

Link

Archived