Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Filbert Street - The Legendary Home of Leicester City Football Club

Yea some great memories of Filbert Street and the Leicester Fans through the decades, Them big high 10 foot fences that used to be in old grounds when there was still standing scare the shit out of me! You look like you're being treated like cattle.

Upstairs in the double decker wasn't penned as far as I know.

No, it was pretty much unsegregated seating which is what I'm saying and why it continually bred trouble. From out of the penned Kop enclosures below the noise was incredible but you could also hear the clatter of the coins on the mesh. 

So glad I got to watch football in such a traditional football stadium with a real hostile atmosphere inside of it growing up. I genuinely miss Filbert Street, like a lot.

Any chance of re posting this pic without the cross and arrow ?

Anybody manage to get something from the old ground?,I have a seat,a workmate sold it to me for £20.

My lad who lives in Glen Parva has a double decker sign he ripped off, screwed into the back wall of his house. His old lady not overly impressed!

My abiding Filbert street memory is...

:(

I feel sorry for you, I really do. For me the games we had against Arsenal in the late nineties are matches I will never forget, I remember Savage deflecting the ball off the line with his face as if it was yesterday, ouch.

Can't remember, but what was the land where the KP is now (before the new stadium was built)?

Edit: looking at the picture of the stadium comparisons, that electricity pylon area looks a total misfit to the area.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Can't remember, but what was the land where the KP is now (before the new stadium was built)?

Edit: looking at the picture of the stadium comparisons, that electricity pylon area looks a total misfit to the area.

I think it was all part of East Midlands Electricity  before it was privatised so the pylons would have fitted in well.

I think it was all part of East Midlands Electricity  before it was privatised so the pylons would have fitted in well.

It was a coal fired electricity plant (1927)

EPW019716.jpg

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 2

No, it was pretty much unsegregated seating which is what I'm saying and why it continually bred trouble. From out of the penned Kop enclosures below the noise was incredible but you could also hear the clatter of the coins on the mesh. 

Many happy hours in the "Double Decker" and the "Kop", prior to the erection of fencing. 

I never saw any trouble in the sixties. It took off in the seventies, and at it's possible worst in the eighties.

That photo is amazing. Going to show that my grandad. He was born the year prior to this being taken.

Thanks for posting!

:thumbup:

Beyond the power station and to the right of Filbert St, you can see the Aylestone Rd ground. It was used by the County between 1901-1946. It then became the home for the Electricity Company Cricket Club.

Edited by Smudge

You couldn't beat the seg net view from sk1 was the best place in the ground. As for the pin dropping it was more louder in my era than lifeless.

Through the early 90s late 90s the ground could be electric even if we was losing you could hear the noise from past the woodgate adventure playground!

:thumbup:

Beyond the power station and to the right of Filbert St, you can see the Aylestone Rd ground. It was used by the County between 1901-1946. It then became the home for the Electricity Company Cricket Club.

Ah! Ok. Thanks again :)