Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Filbert Street - The Legendary Home of Leicester City Football Club

When I first went down me dad took us in the North Stand and the Orange seats. Sat right behind the goal a few times, so close to the pitch, alway remember the old guy connected with the club , forget his name now, always stopped for a chat with the young supporters. Also remember the abandoned Southampton game in 1983, I can still see a distant photo from a programme with me and dad in our bright blue kagools!

After that it was the standing family area then finally the kop and double decker with my mates, very rarely went in the East Stand.

Just one thing why did we have orange seats?!

When I first went down me dad took us in the North Stand and the Orange seats. Sat right behind the goal a few times, so close to the pitch, alway remember the old guy connected with the club , forget his name now, always stopped for a chat with the young supporters. Also remember the abandoned Southampton game in 1983, I can still see a distant photo from a programme with me and dad in our bright blue kagools!

After that it was the standing family area then finally the kop and double decker with my mates, very rarely went in the East Stand.

Just one thing why did we have orange seats?!

Jack Curtis?

I had a season ticket in the Family Stand from 93-02, great view and so close to the action.

no it was a prem league game just found this on youtube

My first league game.

Had a running event over in Weston Park in the morning, as we headed closer to the ground we doubted the game would even go ahead. Thankfully all the goals came at our end.

Walking from Aylestone Road into Brazil Street, suddenly you could hear the singing from Filbo. You'd start walking faster, bought your programme, and went past the queue of visiting fans. In the 1970's you never felt entirely safe until you got through the turnstile, as there were frequent skirmishes around the ground.

• 1 month later...

I wish that Soulsby, instead of pissing around with the city centre, would throw some money into turning what remains of the Filbert Street site into a park. Somewhere near the ground that fans can relax on matchdays, have a kickabout and take in the history.

Who owns the land? Could be a good and suitable location for the fans village the club are planning. It would be great to spend time on the old filbo with a few historic reminders of its history thrown in before moving into the new stadium for the match. From the old to the new.

Who owns the land? Could be a good and suitable location for the fans village the club are planning. It would be great to spend time on the old filbo with a few historic reminders of its history thrown in before moving into the new stadium for the match. From the old to the new.

Developers still to confirm new homes plan for old Filbert Street site

By DavidWOwen  |  Posted: August 14, 2015

10723002-large.jpg

What next for Leicester City's former field of dreams?

Comments (5)

Planning permission to redevelop part of the site of Leicester City's former Filbert Street ground is due to expire at the end of this month.

Developer Filbert Ltd was granted planning permission in 2013 to build 43 homes on the site of the former stadium.

But with a little over two weeks before the city council's planning consent lapses, much of the site once graced by football greats

including Frank Worthington, Gary Lineker and George Best is now a wasteland.

It has been 13 years since City relocated to the nearby King Power Stadium, with the Filbert Street ground being demolished a year later.

City fans have voiced frustration at the sad state of their former home.

Michael Taylor, 46, from Syston, said: "It's not great to look at is it? I can't understand why no-one has taken the opportunity to do something with the land.

"Most of the time, planning permission is the big hurdle, but that's not the case here. It's a sad sight to see, especially as it was our home for over 100 years and with all the great memories.

"You've got Lineker Roadthrough there, but what kind of tribute is that when it's a wasteland."

Lance Tomlyn, chairman of Leicester City Independent Supporters Association, said: "I'm surprised really. When you think about all the new developments on the other side of the River Soar, you'd think that would be a much-sought after piece of real estate.

"It's a shame for it to lie abandoned and overgrown like that."

Downing Developments bought the old Filbert Street site in 2007 and built the student halls of residence.

The firm was granted planning permission for a further 405 flats and 10 houses on the site, but was unable to finance the £30 million scheme.

Filbert Ltd came in and its plans to build 43 homes was approved by the city council in 2013.

A city council spokeswoman said: "We have not heard from the developer of this site.

"But many planning permissions are not taken up and we would not normally contact site developers about their intentions when permissions lapse.

"We are currently looking into the condition of the site. If sites are unkempt, we can, if necessary, serve a formal notice requiring that the owners tidy it up."

No-one from the developer or JLL (Jones Lang LaSalle), its planning agent, was available to comment.

Leicester City's club historian, Jon Hutchinson, believes nothing seems to be being done about a site so close to the hearts of City fans and important to Leicester's history.

Speaking to the BBC, he said: "It's a very significant part of Leicester's history. It's very strange now, almost post-apocalyptic really.

"What would be fitting would be some sort of community sports facility.

"It would be brilliant, I'd have thought, because it would then be a natural successor of what was a major sporting arena for over 100 years."

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Developers-confirm-new-homes-plan-old-Filbert/story-27603388-detail/story.html#ixzz3imLq536s 

Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

I wish that Soulsby, instead of pissing around with the city centre, would throw some money into turning what remains of the Filbert Street site into a park. Somewhere near the ground that fans can relax on matchdays, have a kickabout and take in the history.

... and provide a good natural place for local residents, but everything has to have a price-tag and 'what can we screw out of it' value attached these days and sod the little guys!

I seem to remember the club shop being in a terraced house in Burnmoor Street.

If I'm correct, does anyone remember which number?

think that was the suppters club offices

I seem to remember the club shop being in a terraced house in Burnmoor Street.

If I'm correct, does anyone remember which number?

think that was the suppters club offices

Shame they've already built on the Kop end. It'd be a great place to set up a goal with a penalty spot.

Developers still to confirm new homes plan for old Filbert Street site

By DavidWOwen  |  Posted: August 14, 2015

10723002-large.jpg

What next for Leicester City's former field of dreams?

Comments (5)

Planning permission to redevelop part of the site of Leicester City's former Filbert Street ground is due to expire at the end of this month.

Developer Filbert Ltd was granted planning permission in 2013 to build 43 homes on the site of the former stadium.

But with a little over two weeks before the city council's planning consent lapses, much of the site once graced by football greats

including Frank Worthington, Gary Lineker and George Best is now a wasteland.

It has been 13 years since City relocated to the nearby King Power Stadium, with the Filbert Street ground being demolished a year later.

City fans have voiced frustration at the sad state of their former home.

Michael Taylor, 46, from Syston, said: "It's not great to look at is it? I can't understand why no-one has taken the opportunity to do something with the land.

"Most of the time, planning permission is the big hurdle, but that's not the case here. It's a sad sight to see, especially as it was our home for over 100 years and with all the great memories.

"You've got Lineker Roadthrough there, but what kind of tribute is that when it's a wasteland."

Lance Tomlyn, chairman of Leicester City Independent Supporters Association, said: "I'm surprised really. When you think about all the new developments on the other side of the River Soar, you'd think that would be a much-sought after piece of real estate.

"It's a shame for it to lie abandoned and overgrown like that."

Downing Developments bought the old Filbert Street site in 2007 and built the student halls of residence.

The firm was granted planning permission for a further 405 flats and 10 houses on the site, but was unable to finance the £30 million scheme.

Filbert Ltd came in and its plans to build 43 homes was approved by the city council in 2013.

A city council spokeswoman said: "We have not heard from the developer of this site.

"But many planning permissions are not taken up and we would not normally contact site developers about their intentions when permissions lapse.

"We are currently looking into the condition of the site. If sites are unkempt, we can, if necessary, serve a formal notice requiring that the owners tidy it up."

No-one from the developer or JLL (Jones Lang LaSalle), its planning agent, was available to comment.

Leicester City's club historian, Jon Hutchinson, believes nothing seems to be being done about a site so close to the hearts of City fans and important to Leicester's history.

Speaking to the BBC, he said: "It's a very significant part of Leicester's history. It's very strange now, almost post-apocalyptic really.

"What would be fitting would be some sort of community sports facility.

"It would be brilliant, I'd have thought, because it would then be a natural successor of what was a major sporting arena for over 100 years."

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Developers-confirm-new-homes-plan-old-Filbert/story-27603388-detail/story.html#ixzz3imLq536s 

Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

That photo, almost brings tears to my eyes. I loved the Filbert Street ground, and as far as I am concerned, we have lost a major part of our club's heritage and history. Oh, so sad.

That's a cracking idea, who on here is a fans representative at the club? Could they take that idea to the club next meeting.

Local residents would have to put up with it on match days but they would benefit from a park/ open space for 340 days of the year.