Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Are you going to start sending pensioners on diversity courses? 

Language and what is offensive will develop over time, perfectly normal things we say and do now will be considered abusive and objectionable in 2050.

If someone really does get upset by a old guy using the term "dark lad" then they need some real problems to deal with.

No i'm just saying that we shouldn't gate keep what other people find offensive.

If something is offensive then it's offensive, regardless of whether or not the "offender" is intentional or not.

9 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

No i'm just saying that we shouldn't gate keep what other people find offensive.

If something is offensive then it's offensive, regardless of whether or not the "offender" is intentional or not.

But who decides what is offensive? I know people who are not white who wouldn't be remotely offended by "dark lad" - when I went out with an Indian her Dad used the word nig-nog in conversation with no malice at all. Should I have pulled him up? Of course I wouldn't. 

No one wants to to back to the days of the N-word being used freely, but surely we have to realise offence is only that if it's used with intent as Finners explained. When the intent is go cause hurt that is where the line is crossed.

I could be offended by you being offended, how do we then police that?

People need to stop saying they are offended as if gives them some sort of right to then altar other people's behaviour, it doesn't. 

Political correctness is often confused with basic politeness, I feel had we not lost the latter from society we wouldn't have seen such enforcement of the former.

Edited by MattP

25 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Yeah we've been here before Mac so all I'll say is that I wasn't suffering on a low wage as I still lived at home (as is the 17 year old girl in the tweet I believe).

What it did though was motivate me to improve and better myself to eventually be rewarded with a pay rise. It may often be bollux but I look back fondly on cleaning toilets and vacuuming the floor because it helped me to relate and empathise with what my own staff were doing when I was ultimately in charge.

Ive been a toilet cleaner at a fastfood chain and it wasnt a pleasant job but as a 17 year old it was money and quite frankly a push to study harder so that i never had to work that  type of job again. Not that im a pig like some men but reinforced my behavior in public spaces. Ie, dont take a shit and dont flush. Dont piss on the floor. Someones got to clean that up so have some damn respect like you would in your own home.

Now I'm a germaphobe so i dont use public toilets unless  the only option is shitting/pissing myself lol

I totally appreciate all of those who work in the bar/food industry as margins tend to be tight. 

Side note, pack a bloody sandwich and fruit for work!

• Haha 1

But who decides what is offensive? I know people who are not white who wouldn't be remotely offended by "dark lad" - when I went out with an Indian her Dad used the word nig-nog in conversation with no malice at all. Should I have pulled him up? Of course I wouldn't. 

I know people who would be extremely offended by the use of "nig-nog". What's your point there?

No one wants to go back to the days of the N-word being used freely, but surely we have to realise offence is only that if it's used with intent as Finners explained. When the intent is go cause hurt that is where the line is crossed.

I could be offended by you being offended, how do we then police that?

People need to stop saying they are offended as if gives them some sort of right to then altar other people's behaviour, it doesn't. 

Political correctness is often confused with basic politeness, I feel had we not lost the latter from society we wouldn't have seen such enforcement of the former.

If people feel threatened or outcasted for remarks about something they can't change then why can't they feel offended?

Offence is the perception of an insult. It has nothing to do with intent of the 'offender'.

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I know people who would be extremely offended by the use of "nig-nog". What's your point there?

If people feel threatened or outcasted for remarks about something they can't change then why can't they feel offended?

Offence is the perception of an insult. It has nothing to do with intent of the 'offender'.

The point was what would give me the right to pull him up. 

If it's perception then let's say I'm offended by your post here, what would you then do about it?

13 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I could be offended because someone says hello to me but that doesn’t make it right or reasonable 

What is and is not acceptable  has rightly changed in the last 30 years 

But the issue for me is that there is now a booming culture of being offended which actually creates division in my view

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

The point was what would give me the right to pull him up. 

If it's perception then let's say I'm offended by your post here, what would you then do about it?

I'd say you'd have every right to pull him up on it.

I could do whatever I wanted. I could learn not to post in a certain way, I could apologise, I could not give a shit or I could continue as I am.

If you've been offended then it's essentially your problem. I'm just trying to work out why people seem to want to gate keep what is and isn't offensive to other people when the definition of offence is the perception of an insult. 

Just now, Mike Oxlong said:

I could be offended because someone says hello to me but that doesn’t make it right or reasonable 

But the issue for me is that there is now a booming culture of being offended which actually creates division in my view

The actual desire and quest for victimhood is probably the strangest thing about society now.

Even intelligent and thoughtful media like the Guardian is now giving tips on how to avoid Fatphobia above a headline that warns about health. It's quite crazy.

IMG_20180904_070056.jpg

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

If you've been offended then it's essentially your problem.

That's pretty much the point I'm making. 

If someone is offended by something then fine, but it doesn't give them any rights.

2 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I'm not saying that people should be offended by everything or whatever and I agree there are people who take things too far.

But ultimately, there's still a lot of people in British society where there are people being genuinely offensive to others and are getting away with it because "oh they don't mean it".

8 minutes ago, MattP said:

That's pretty much the point I'm making. 

If someone is offended by something then fine, but it doesn't give them any rights.

I never said that it did. I don't know why people think that others expressing their offence gives them a special right or something?

In my opinion, a decent person would apologise and attempt to educate themselves if they were to really offend someone due to remarks about things like skin colour, sexuality or gender though.

Edited by AKCJ

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I never said that it did. I don't know why people think that others expressing their offence gives them a special right or something?

In my opinion, a decent person would apologise and attempt to educate themselves if they were to really offend someone due to remarks about things like skin colour, sexuality or gender though.

We completely agree on that, as I've said previously - it's about politeness, if we are polite politically correct terminology doesn't need to exist or enforced. 

15 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I'm not saying that people should be offended by everything or whatever and I agree there are people who take things too far.

But ultimately, there's still a lot of people in British society where there are people being genuinely offensive to others and are getting away with it because "oh they don't mean it".

I don’t disagree with either point. My gripe is at those who do take it too far. 

58 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Ive been a toilet cleaner at a fastfood chain and it wasnt a pleasant job but as a 17 year old it was money and quite frankly a push to study harder so that i never had to work that  type of job again. Not that im a pig like some men but reinforced my behavior in public spaces. Ie, dont take a shit and dont flush. Dont piss on the floor. Someones got to clean that up so have some damn respect like you would in your own home.

Now I'm a germaphobe so i dont use public toilets unless  the only option is shitting/pissing myself lol

I totally appreciate all of those who work in the bar/food industry as margins tend to be tight. 

Side note, pack a bloody sandwich and fruit for work!

I once walked into a McDonalds toilet only to see a worker cleaning a shit from the urinal. Like an actual proper shit.

1) Who shits in a urinal??

2) If that isnt motovation to self improve and look for other work I dont know what is.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I screwed up on this a few weeks back :(

I was talking with my wife and I made a comment about someone who I innocently described as a 'half cast'. My wife went mental and told me that term hadn't been used for years and that it was offensive. I should have used 'mixed race' instead. 

I was mortified and embarrassed at my mistake and quite annoyed that I wasn't up to date with the right terminology. I wouldn't hurt a fly and it's not in my nature to be offensive to anyone but I made a genuine mistake and learned from it.

You're never to old to learn I guess...

17 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I was talking with my wife and I made a comment about someone who I innocently described as a 'half cast'. My wife went mental and told me that term hadn't been used for years and that it was offensive. I should have used 'mixed race' instead. 

I was mortified and embarrassed at my mistake and quite annoyed that I wasn't up to date with the right terminology. I wouldn't hurt a fly and it's not in my nature to be offensive to anyone but I made a genuine mistake and learned from it.

Its 'mixed heritage' now actually you racist dickhead :P

Edited by Nalis
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

You definitely fall within the bracket of "decent person" Izzy, no need to worry :)

We all make mistakes, it's just about learning from them and improving ourselves.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

I once walked into a McDonalds toilet only to see a worker cleaning a shit from the urinal. Like an actual proper shit.

1) Who shits in a urinal??

2) If that isnt motovation to self improve and look for other work I dont know what is.

Used to have a cleaner at Sainsburys that would grab shit out the bog with his bare hands.

2 hours ago, Samilktray said:

I think the fact you failed to pull someone up on using the term "nig nog" says a lot about you tbh 

I'm so terrible, next time I'll definitely do it.(Hint - your comments in the past about white people on here)

One day I'll be as virtuous as you but until then pray for my soul. (Apologies if that offends atheists)

Im half cast, mixed race, mixed heritage and truly offended by these words. No need for them in todays society. I prefer race neutral or big cocked you pasty ginger cvnts. Lol. 

Obviously the above is a joke (or is it?) Lol.  but lets be honest here every race has dipped their cocks in every shade of human vagina flesh possible (ya ya, its all pink of some degree i get it). We are all  mixed race to a point but some more than others.

Izzy tell your wife to calm it down. The only offended ones are snowflake types.

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Used to have a cleaner at Sainsburys that would grab shit out the bog with his bare hands.

I want to throw up ffs that is so disgusting its not even funny. There goes my lunch, breakkie and dinner for the last 3 nights.

Edited by Jattdogg

8 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

When you answer the phone to someone and they're still having a conversation with someone else. Ignorant gits.

On two occasions, my boss made phone calls to people whilst we were mid conversation. Infuriating.

26 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Im half cast, mixed race, mixed heritage and truly offended by these words. No need for them in todays society. I prefer race neutral or big cocked you pasty ginger cvnts. Lol. 

Obviously the above is a joke (or is it?) Lol.  but lets be honest here every race has dipped their cocks in every shade of human vagina flesh possible (ya ya, its all pink of some degree) i get it). We are all  mixed race to a point but some more than others.

Izzy tell your wife to calm it down. The only offended ones are snowflake types.

Reminds me of the Stewart Francis joke, "I've mixed race parents. My father prefers the 100m, and my mother is Pakistani."

9 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Obviously the above is a joke (or is it?) Lol.  but lets be honest here every race has dipped their cocks in every shade of human vagina flesh possible (ya ya, its all pink of some degree i get it). We are all  mixed race to a point but some more than others.

Albinos have feelings too, you know. 

• Haha 2