Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

The attempted legitimisation of esports as actual sports. 

Whilst I don't really get it, if you enjoy E-sports then good for you, whatever, no problem. Far be it from me to gatekeep fun, whatever floats your boat. I accept that it can take a hell of a lot of skill and practice to be extremely competitive at the top level of most games. 

But keep that shit off the sports pages of the news and what on earth are we doing discussing whether or not E-sports should make it in to the Olympics for christ sakes? Get in the bin. 

Wouldn't say it's any less of a "sport" than something like snooker or darts. Definitely not something that should be seen at the Olympics though.

Whilst I don't really get it, if you enjoy E-sports then good for you, whatever, no problem. Far be it from me to gatekeep fun, whatever floats your boat. I accept that it can take a hell of a lot of skill and practice to be extremely competitive at the top level of most games. 

But keep that shit off the sports pages of the news and what on earth are we doing discussing whether or not E-sports should make it in to the Olympics for christ sakes? Get in the bin. 

Agreed.

Clearly, it takes a lot of skill to be good at eSports, but there's no physical barrier to it, aside from maybe reaction times. Even darts/snooker have some element of physical performance required.

By all means, make eSports a huge thing. Have global tournaments, sign players to teams etc., heck, even create an eSports Olympics. But the idea of bringing eSports into the same competitions as actual sports needs to die a death immediately.

Edited by Xen

I'll take the contrary position on this one. I've not seen people discuss them as being part of the Olympics (and wouldn't agree with it myself), but it wouldn't be an almighty stretch.

It's all about capacity to work under pressure, mental gymnastics, hand eye co-ordination, teamwork etc etc. It definitely deserves to be called a sport IMO.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

Agreed.

Clearly, it takes a lot of skill to be good at eSports, but there's no physical barrier to it, aside from maybe reaction times. Even darts/snooker have some element of physical performance required.

By all means, make eSports a huge thing. Have global tournaments, sign players to teams etc., heck, even create an eSports Olympics. But the idea of bringing eSports into the same competitions as actual sports needs to die a death immediately.

Man City wouldn't have their eSports players 'training' alongside their PL squad, would they?

No, why would they??

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

No, why would they??

You know, its been less than 5 minutes and I can't even remember what point I was trying to make with that last bit... lol

Guess that's a sign I should probably log-off from work and head home before I **** something else up haha

Edited by Xen
  • Haha 1

The Nike campaign.

They are using Colin Kaepernick solely to market rather than actually giving a shit about the issues.

Advertising is one thing which is fine but I just hate this whole marketing dressed as 'lets make it out that we care about society' bs. All they give it a shit about is the bottom line and flogging their child labour made trainers for as much as possible.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

The Nike campaign.

They are using Colin Kaepernick solely to market rather than actually giving a shit about the issues.

Advertising is one thing which is fine but I just hate this whole marketing dressed as 'lets make it out that we care about society' bs. All they give it a shit about is the bottom line and flogging their child labour made trainers for as much as possible.

On a similar note those posters outside Lloyd's of a downs kid with a horse really grate on me, should only be using disabilities to sell a product if it's a product for people with that disability. Otherwise it's just really tasteless virtue signalling.

• Like 1

On 03/09/2018 at 13:30, Wymeswold fox said:

People still believing that there's a conspiracy theory behind 9/11..

I'd go one further and just say conspiracy theorists in general.  Have you noticed it tends to be the case that people either believe all or none?  I think whether you believe a conspiracy theory or not says more about you than the validity of the theory itself.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

On a similar note those posters outside Lloyd's of a downs kid with a horse really grate on me, should only be using disabilities to sell a product if it's a product for people with that disability. Otherwise it's just really tasteless virtue signalling.

If you watch the advert with the horses on the beach it's got every single minority represented - including pregnant women. It's almost like the producer was given a list and told to tick every box. It's so bleedin obvious that it detracts from the intention of the advert imo

2 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

If you watch the advert with the horses on the beach it's got every single minority represented - including pregnant women. It's almost like the producer was given a list and told to tick every box. It's so bleedin obvious that it detracts from the intention of the advert imo

This too, but the branch near me has that poster of the down's syndrome child on all of its outside facing posters which just seems like they're commodifying the condition.  

3 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Scary thing is this probably isn't too far from the truth. We've seen the various news pieces on race, companies now have to check everything they release isn't offensive to anyone. Political Correctness has gone crazy

What I don't like about the add is the slogan. 

"believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything". What did he sacrifice exactly? His bench spot on a roster? Or the money? He will be making loads of money off of Nike, way more than he would the NFL. 

He won way, way more than he lost so miss me with that crap. He will live a longer life because of his football-free life, a lesser chance of CTE and the love of a lot of people by standing for a good cause. 

It's not like he's an all-time talent like Aaron Rogers or is missing out on prime years of an All-time athlete and sentenced to 5 years in prison (didn't  actually do time) like Ali. He's an avrage QB with the only future being a back-up QB. 

Now if that was, Let's say, Russell Wilson or Cam Newton (taking those 2 players as an example because they are black and the cause is standing for the black people being treated horribly by the police) I would believe it way more. 2 elite QBs who got a lot to lose. They are 2 All-time talents with a lot to lose. Being that their Hall-of-fame carriers, their sponsorships or their contract money and their standing among the greatests to ever play the game. 

My point is, Kap is benefiting far more from this than his Nfl carrier so I don't want to hear about this. There were even talks in sport shows (I think it was "speak for yourself"?) talking about how the Nfl should pay a compensation to Kap (over 30 million). 

He was standing (or kneeling) for a great cause but this just rubbed me the wrong way. Nike is in it for the money, Kap is getting paid. 

Edited by the fox

5 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

4 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Scary thing is this probably isn't too far from the truth. We've seen the various news pieces on race, companies now have to check everything they release isn't offensive to anyone. Political Correctness has gone crazy

Personally i think its brilliant, pregnant women, people of colour and people with disabilities are a normal part of our community and should be represented in our advertising. It not only breaks down barriers it also reinforces positivity for the people involved.

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Personally i think its brilliant, pregnant women, people of colour and people with disabilities are a normal part of our community and should be represented in our advertising. It not only breaks down barriers it also reinforces positivity for the people involved.

I get your point regarding the TV ad, though I'm of the opinion that this kind of marketing is more cheap pandering than uplifting liberation. 

In my example though representation goes out the window (quite literally).  I find it manipulative and it irks me because imo they're just using the kid for brownie points.  Now I wholeheartedly agree that all facets of human reality should be fairly represented in our media and I don't know what a 'normal' part of a community is in your opinion but if regularity of occurrence is our chief indicator then Down's Syndrome isn't 'normal', in fact that's the whole point of it being used in this marketing exercise:  It's a rare genetic disorder, it's an exceptional circumstance, one where those around the person need to be willing to go above and beyond to care for them.  It bothers me that a business would plaster a person with this condition all over the outside of their building as though they expect to receive credit by association for being the sort of caring entity described in the latter part of that sentence.

14 hours ago, AKCJ said:

I'll take the contrary position on this one. I've not seen people discuss them as being part of the Olympics (and wouldn't agree with it myself), but it wouldn't be an almighty stretch.

It's all about capacity to work under pressure, mental gymnastics, hand eye co-ordination, teamwork etc etc. It definitely deserves to be called a sport IMO.

Not to mention more entertaining. I'd rather watch a random esport than see which dude can throw a stick the furthest tbh. 

11 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I'm almost certain they do have a list of some sort.

I just chuckle at a lot of it now, when the BBC do a historical drama where there is going to be a significant lack of non whites it's often a laugh to see where they throw a couple in.

In "A very English scandal" they had to resort to a rent boy who shagged and then punched Jeremy Thorpe - pretty sure the black community would have happily glossed over no appearance instead of that.

Darkest Hour was just as bad - an otherwise great film, we had the absurd 5 min part where Churchill got on the tube just so a Jamaican family could shout at him "Go on Winstannn, do it for da nationnnn" lol