Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

Out of the Cup

I would say confident not presumtious. I don't normally go on about it, just think we will finish about 8 points clear of 3rd, and I think we should rest our best players now and then against the worst sides in this league and not against teams a league above us in the FA Cup. That's all i was saying

Just got back now.

Disappointed but it's not the end of the world, as has been said it's all about getting out of League 1 straight away so I won't lose any sleep about going out of the cup.

Felt bad for Martin as it looked like their first goal took a nasty deflection, otherwise I'm pretty sure he'd have had it covered. Obviously The Tunch getting injured is a blow and a half.

On the plus side I thought Chambers looked like given a bit of game time he could be a really useful player for us. I didn't manage to see him play in pre-season so that's the first time I've seen him play in this current squad.

Well done to Maxi for getting what we all knew would be a consolation goal if it came but hopefully it'll boost the lad's confidence and he can kick on to get a few more for us.

The partnership of Dickov and Howard just doesn't seem to work to me, but hey, I trust Nige to do what he thinks is right

Well done to all of us who were down there. Hope you're all warmer now :thumbup:

History has plenty of examples of teams running away with a league and looking unbeatable only to collapse in a dramatic fashion on the run in.

If not naive your language is highly presumptuous.

What davieG said.

You won't be proven right if we get promoted - I think we'll get promoted as things are going. But it's not destined, star-crossed or anything like a certainty. Plenty of teams so far have made us look fairly average and we've dropped plenty of points along the way. What would have happened if Fryatt had played today and been one of those to take a knock?

:dunno:

End of the day: NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE FA CUP.

Not this season, at least. We've traditionally done awfully in it anyway, we don't need the revenue from a cup run, we've little realistic chance of winning it and it's hardly like some great glamour tie was up for grabs anyway. Woohoo Watford! If anything we've dodged a bullet.

Run a poll of City fans in the Walkers next home game, ask them what they care about more, promotion or the FA Cup and I can tell you waht the answer will be.

Risk management, son. Risk management.

I almost forgot. We aint gonna be a shit championship side again. We've got a decent manager for the 1st time in a while and a bit of money. We on the up. Next season will be a top 10 one. Anyone who thinks we might struggle to get 2nd in this league with our squad is blind to what's facing em

I wouldnt get too carried away, theres plenty more games left yet...this league is no walkover. And baring in mind we did lose to Millwall( the then 3rd placed team) shows that quality doesn't always win football matches.

Disagree on that - very even until Tunchev's injury, and until then they never looked like scoring - and even then they looked sloppy. Its a game that went from certain 0-0 to a potentially quite high scoring game in the space of about five seconds, unfortunately.

Dickov showed skill in places, but just didn't seem to be much of a partnership with Howard. Doesn't deserve slating, but could have done more. Howard was good though and Chambers looked great, which is a plus.

Just got back. Couldn't have been a different scorline if Oakley or Chambers had scored earlier obviously.

But Palace dominated most periods and we only got going in the second half at the start and towards the end. Dickov's really starting to piss me off, thought Chambers offered us a lot more when he came on. Hopefully Tunchevs allright.

Anyway a long night but it was alright. Bring on Monday.

Just got back myself, and have been reading the comments.

I agree, it was pretty even until Tunchev went down. After that, whenever the ball went dead, our players were looking to the bench with confused looks on their faces.

After that, we appeared shapeless and the old habit of hoofing it out of defence reared its ugly head again.

I could see their first goal coming in the build up and told Monk they were about to score.

It was plain to see that NP wasn't too bothered about losing the game, resting so many players. Showed that we are lacking in depth though, and that Chambers should be used instead of Dickov. If Chambers had started tonight, it could have been different.

Sadly, we were left wanting in the final third. Very poor final passing. We did have a good spell, but then they went and scored their second and that was pretty much it.

Peculiar evening -

• Tunchev going down with no one near him (that I could see)
  • Ref's Assistant needing medical attention (The adjacent stand was empty so if it was a coin, it would have been a fooking good throw)
  • Some absolute nobhead almost getting us kicked out of the 'Spoons in Leicester Square who then got ejected from the ground.
  • Alex's 12 days of Christmas (94 Squad edition) was hilarious and had the attention of the commuting lot. Even got a round of applause afterwards!
  • Meeting more of the FT'ers in what was my first away game for far too long.

I'm off to bed. Nytol!

Dickov seemed to put in effort chasing down etc. most of the time but be on a totally different wavelength to everyone else, to me. Chambers on the other hand, managed to get on the end of every pass that Dickov didn't see coming. Don't know about starts, but substantial sub periods even would make league one sides absolutely cack their pants.

Just got back. 'Kinell that was shite.

Quick summary because I can't be arsed to do much more at this time:

1. Pearson didn't want it - his team selection made it clear he wasn't interested in winning this game much. A distinct lack of pace to say the least.

2. Midfield were shambolic - Totally overrun all game long. Oakley hah his worst game for a long time, misplacing pass after pass and summing it all up with an embarassing miss at the end. Andy King can't play in a side that isn't playing well, totally anonymous in the whole game.

3. Dickov/Howard - Doesn't work. Dickov's totally past it now, not good enough.

As soon as Tunch went down, his hand went up, it looked quite serious, but let's hope it isn't as bad as first feared.

We were never going to score whilst Dickov was on, who along with King, Oakley and Berner were very poor tonight.

Ashley Chambers looked very good and lively when he came on,, and that performance should build up his confidence. Nice to see Max get his first goal too.

Highlight of the night though, was seeing Kerrea Gilbert at Victoria Station, got a picture with him, challenged him to a game of pro, he said "Are you good enough?"

lol

All in all a fantastic day, shame about the result, but we now concentrate on the league.

End of the day: NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE FA CUP.

Not this season, at least. We've traditionally done awfully in it anyway, we don't need the revenue from a cup run, we've little realistic chance of winning it and it's hardly like some great glamour tie was up for grabs anyway. Woohoo Watford! If anything we've dodged a bullet.

Run a poll of City fans in the Walkers next home game, ask them what they care about more, promotion or the FA Cup and I can tell you waht the answer will be.

Risk management, son. Risk management.

I care about the FA Cup, and if nobody else does then it says alot about how football fans have changed in the past 5 or 10 years. The FA Cup is a big part of English football. It might not be for much longer though by the sound of it. What a great shame. And as for drawing Watford if we won I was glad about that too cos it meant we had a good chance of progressing, and once you get to round 5 anyting can happen. If we'd of got to the quarters you wouldn't have been saying you don't care about the FA Cup. I bet you would of been lovin it.

I know that if we had a poll all fans would say promotion is the most important thing (it is to me too) cos we don't belong in this league (and we wouldn't be in this league if A: we never had the manager merry go round last season B: we didn't get robbed and be the 1st team to have 3 sending offs that were later rescinded in a season)

Brilliant night out that, except between 8 and 10. We never really looked like turning them over and with the team we put out i didn't expect us to.

Alex's 12 days of the 94' squad will remain with me forever. Met Gilbert and had one hell of a laugh but it just wasn't to be on the pitch.

And saying the FA cup is pointless is fine when you're stuck at home but everyone at the game would disagree. Football for me is all about a good day out and excitment, the FA cup has and always will bring that, gutted to be out.

Oh yeah, for those of you who missed out on the 12 days of Ormondroyd, you really did miss out, fantastic.

Alex was "the leader" singing all the other players' names, the rest of us joined in only on Coatsworth and ORMONDROYD, Fantastic stuff.

I don't think Uncle Albert will be to keen on going to the embankment. :whistle:

Just back poor game to be honest went up with a couple of palace mates who agreed

Think we matched them to be honest but without Dyer, Fryatt and Davies we didn't create much and tbh we didn't really give them many problems thought Howard was pretty good tonight - Dickov was aweful and i think Oakley had a very poor game as well. Gutted about tunch hope its not serious

to be honest the league is the most important thing, Pearson obviously knows this hence the changes

the truth?.....YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH... :giggle:

The idiot from the Spoons who got ejected from the ground - does he post on here??

What a total cnut!

Hello sir. I only realised it was you when I asked Monk after the game! Sorry I didn't introduce myself properly. I was the tall guy next to you in the second half, including our little exchange of words with said ****.

Archived