Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

The biggest selling point for me is more gigs of data storage. I've tried the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus with my own hands and the 7 Plus is just too big to use properly. Also, it's not overly handy to pull out and stow away rapidly if need be.

I'll have to give the telephoto lens a pass. The 7 in black it is then.

Decided to go against getting a new phone when my current contract ends. Entitled to an early upgrade but would rather not be tied down to a contract.

Went for £20/m SIM only contract and sticking with my HTC One M8 until it starts to play up/gets damaged. 

SIM comes with 8GB of data and unlimited minutes & texts. 

4 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I hate my Xiaomi loads of stuff is pissing me off about it now and I'm going to bin it off.

Thinking of getting a Moto G4, read loads of good stuff about it. Anyone here have one? Would you recommend it?

Yeah, I've got one and it's great. I really do think 95% of mobile phone users would be more than happy with one. Why pay more?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Yeah, I've got one and it's great. I really do think 95% of mobile phone users would be more than happy with one. Why pay more?

Cheers, going to pick one up tomorrow. Read loads of reviews and they all say you can't go wrong. Quite excited about having completely bog standard Android after having to put up with the complete misery that is MIUI for the last few months

I've imported Chinese phones for the last few years as the specs are always very good for the money but it seems you with the G4 (and to a lesser extent Vodafone Smart Ultra) you can finally get a good phone on a budget here now.

1 hour ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Cheers, going to pick one up tomorrow. Read loads of reviews and they all say you can't go wrong. Quite excited about having completely bog standard Android after having to put up with the complete misery that is MIUI for the last few months

I've imported Chinese phones for the last few years as the specs are always very good for the money but it seems you with the G4 (and to a lesser extent Vodafone Smart Ultra) you can finally get a good phone on a budget here now.

Yes, if you like a simple interface with zero superfluous crap, you'll be pleased.

It is very large, but that doesn't bother me as I'm a giant with huge hands.

I'm sure the camera isn't as good as those on the latest generation flagship handsets, but not far behind everything else and great for a budget effort.

I do like the quick access to torch and camera via motions, that's a nice touch

14 hours ago, StanSP said:

Decided to go against getting a new phone when my current contract ends. Entitled to an early upgrade but would rather not be tied down to a contract.

Went for £20/m SIM only contract and sticking with my HTC One M8 until it starts to play up/gets damaged. 

SIM comes with 8GB of data and unlimited minutes & texts. 

You and me both mate. I've got the M8 and for the most part it is really good although seems to suffer from slow down frequently. Great camera though.

Normally when I'm coming up for renewal I'm all over reviews and literally can't wait to get a new shiny phone, but this time I'm a bit "meh". I'm going sim only - probably won't need 8gb of data as I'm usually at home or work and have wifi in both. Rarely use more than 1gb per month (although the kids have been nailing Pokemon Go recently).

Do you have a problem with BlinkFeed spamming you with stuff from News Republic? 

12 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Yes, if you like a simple interface with zero superfluous crap, you'll be pleased.

It is very large, but that doesn't bother me as I'm a giant with huge hands.

I'm sure the camera isn't as good as those on the latest generation flagship handsets, but not far behind everything else and great for a budget effort.

I do like the quick access to torch and camera via motions, that's a nice touch

Got one this morning, pleased with the interface so far.

Do you know of any way to swap the Back and Recent buttons round without rooting it? Had a quick look on Google but couldn't see anything, that's going to take some getting used to

I knew it wasn't a particularly powerful phone but it struggles even with Pokemon Go... my friend has some dirt old Samsung budget phone that can handle the game better than this lol 

8 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

You and me both mate. I've got the M8 and for the most part it is really good although seems to suffer from slow down frequently. Great camera though.

Normally when I'm coming up for renewal I'm all over reviews and literally can't wait to get a new shiny phone, but this time I'm a bit "meh". I'm going sim only - probably won't need 8gb of data as I'm usually at home or work and have wifi in both. Rarely use more than 1gb per month (although the kids have been nailing Pokemon Go recently).

Do you have a problem with BlinkFeed spamming you with stuff from News Republic? 

Yeah my phone sometimes does slow up but a 'clear recent apps' or restarting the phone sorts it out for a while. 

I don't use BlinkFeed lol. I started off using it then realised it took up a lot of battery so took it off the front screen pages and stopped getting notifications. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Yeah my phone sometimes does slow up but a 'clear recent apps' or restarting the phone sorts it out for a while. 

I don't use BlinkFeed lol. I started off using it then realised it took up a lot of battery so took it off the front screen pages and stopped getting notifications. 

Thanks! Didn't realise you could do that. So long Blink Feed!

I did quite like it at first but the tendancy to promote NewsRepublic items to the top was p1ssing me off as it was always over the top dramatic stories which turned out to have little or no substance to them.

5 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Got one this morning, pleased with the interface so far.

Do you know of any way to swap the Back and Recent buttons round without rooting it? Had a quick look on Google but couldn't see anything, that's going to take some getting used to

I knew it wasn't a particularly powerful phone but it struggles even with Pokemon Go... my friend has some dirt old Samsung budget phone that can handle the game better than this lol 

I'm not a big gamer but the reviews I read said it could easily handle heavier games than that. Just Googled it and there are reports of other people having issues with Pokemon go on the G4 but others saying it runs just fine for them. Strange.

Can't help with the buttons, sorry. I'm in at least my third year of them being this way round and trust me, you'll get used to it!

18 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm not a big gamer but the reviews I read said it could easily handle heavier games than that. Just Googled it and there are reports of other people having issues with Pokemon go on the G4 but others saying it runs just fine for them. Strange.

Can't help with the buttons, sorry. I'm in at least my third year of them being this way round and trust me, you'll get used to it!

Ah cheers anyway! The last few phones I've had I've had the buttons set to Menu (L) Home (centre) Back (R) and recents menu from holding Home button. Shame I can't change them without a root but it's not a deal breaker, I'm just happy not to be bombarded with Chinese notifications for apps that I don't use and can't uninstall!

Guest seanfox778
On 18 September 2016 at 00:11, HathernFox said:

So people, I have a happy dilemma. I currently have a 6plus and I'm up for an upgrade. I cannot decide whether to just stick Apple and go with the IPhone 7 or mix it up and go for the Samsung S7 Edge. I am so far undecided and don't really have a gut feeling. I'm happy with the iPhone and IOS, but I am curious about the Samsung.

I took the plunge the other day, I'd been with iPhones since the 3Gs but the earphone jack thing annoyed me as my car has an aux lead. I'm loving the S7 edge though, came in handy today as I was working but managed to stream the Leicester game on it with great picture. I'd never been able to find an illegal stream on an iPhone due to the flash player thing. The screen display is beautiful other than that, it's very similar. I rearranged my apps to how they were on my previous phone to make the transition smoother. Is there a 'find my phone' thing like with iPhones on it? 

On 19/09/2016 at 09:08, JimmyB said:

Upgraded my iPhone 6 to a 7 over the weekend. I'd already installed iOS10 on the 6 and first impressions were pretty good. The only difference really is I've jumped from 16GB storage to 128GB. Live photo is a decent addition but that was already available on the 6S. If you have an iPhone in decent condition that operates ok on iOS10 then I wouldn't bother with the 7, wait for the big changes that are supposedly coming with the iPhone 8. 

How are you experiencing the home 'button'?

That's the stumbling block for me, I really don't like the idea of a sensor as opposed to a button! lol

1 hour ago, Matt said:

That's the stumbling block for me, I really don't like the idea of a sensor as opposed to a button! lol

I'm not sure I've really worked it out yet! Half the time it's like the phones already unlocked when I press, the other half it takes me about 30 seconds to get in. 

Seems a pretty pointless change to me, much like the removal of the headphone jack!

1 hour ago, Matt said:

The latest iOS update basically turns your "old" home button into a "new" one - did you download the software yet?

Just takes some time getting used to. I can understand where you're coming from, after using an iPhone with the same modus operandi since its inception a decade ago.

2 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

The latest iOS update basically turns your "old" home button into a "new" one - did you download the software yet?

Just takes some time getting used to. I can understand where you're coming from, after using an iPhone with the same modus operandi since its inception a decade ago.

Yeah I downloaded it, still not keen on it but i'm used to it now.

That's not what i'm getting at exactly though, I'm thinking of getting the 7 but the home button isn't a phsyical button anymore is it? It's a sensor, being such a key part in unlocking the phone now i'm not keen, I understand a physical button could stop working but I have more faith in that than a sensor.

I need to have a proper look at the 7, but it's just something in my head i've not quite got around yet, i'm sure it'll be fine.

Is it just me but does the iOS 10 have horrible battery life ?. I have a iPhone 5s, the battery was decent not the best on iOS 9.3.5 but, on 10 it's really bad. It starts to heat up quite quickly and it went from 100% to 80% in less than a hour. I've turned off background app refresh, location services,kept the brightness low. But, i am averaging around 3 to 4 hours of battery usage. 

Does anyone know any solutions ?

54 minutes ago, LeicesterBran said:

Is it just me but does the iOS 10 have horrible battery life ?. I have a iPhone 5s, the battery was decent not the best on iOS 9.3.5 but, on 10 it's really bad. It starts to heat up quite quickly and it went from 100% to 80% in less than a hour. I've turned off background app refresh, location services,kept the brightness low. But, i am averaging around 3 to 4 hours of battery usage. 

Does anyone know any solutions ?

https://www.iphonelife.com/content/how-to-fix-battery-drain-ios-10-iphone-10-tips-longer-battery-life

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/09/fix-ios-10-battery-life-drain-problems.html

Edited by Buce

• 4 weeks later...

I know people have their theories that when a new Apple update comes out it slow their phones down or does things to their phones, I've never really believed them, but since i've done the recent update my battery has gone to shit!

Now it could be that my phone is a few years old and it's finally giving up, but seen co-incident it's since the update. Doing my head in, I know the iPhone battery isn't great anyway but i'm having to charge my phone twice a day to make it last and i'm hardly using it really.

Anyone else suffering?

As for the new way of unlocking, it's shite, I don't think I could go through with/think i'd regret it but i'm contemplating going to android because I really don't like the last update.

I'm not the only person who isn't liking it, tbh i've not heard many say they like it, and even my Apple fanboy mates are saying they dislike every update that goes by.

As i've mentioned in this thread, I was looking at getting the new one, but what with being told to wait/not liking the recent update i'm not sure what to do but with this battery situation, I need to do something! lol

Edited by Matt