Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

Can anyone recommend a 'Cheap' maybe Chinese phone.

I'm looking a for 4g with the latest android version, size is not a big issue but would really want one above 5.5in

Needs to be unlocked and sim free.

I only use it for texting and the web so usually have a £5 to £10 monthly  fee option.

Cheers

Can anyone recommend a 'Cheap' maybe Chinese phone.

I'm looking a for 4g with the latest android version, size is not a big issue but would really want one above 5.5in

Needs to be unlocked and sim free.

I only use it for texting and the web so usually have a £5 to £10 monthly  fee option.

Cheers

Try Geekbuying

http://www.geekbuying.com/category/5-5--6--Android-Phones-480/1-40-3-3-0-0-grid.html

I bought my last phone with them - took about 3 weeks to arrive but my phone was an absolute bargain and they're all unlocked and SIM-free

I've had a THL and a Jiayu and both have been very good phones, although poor GPS is common on Chinese phones so I wouldn't recommend using these as a SatNav!

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-2-Standard-4G-Smartphone-5-5-Inch-FHD-Screen-2GB-16GB-64bit-Helio-X10-Octa-Core-3060mAh-13-0MP---White-354977.html

That looks like a good deal, Xiaomi are one of the better Chinese phone brands apparently

Going back to page one and seeing how not only phones but requirements have changed massively lol When unlimited texts used to be a big deal but now it's a given and all about Internet!

I'm  not too fussed about the contract as I don't  even do that many texts.

It's  mostly just an emergency  phone when I'm  out as I use my tablet or laptop indoors but when I do use the Web outside I want something better than the crap 3g l currently get with 02 which is more often than not showing as H.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
6 minutes ago, potter3 said:

Anyone know somewhere to order a good quality replacement battery (LIS1529ERPC) from? Don't care if it's genuine so long as it's not going to blow up and lasts a decent while. 

Amazon, ebay? :huh:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-battery-Sony-LIS1529ERPC-Compact

Edited by Steven

35 minutes ago, Steven said:

Yeah half of those are pulled from used handsets and are going to hold the charge just as badly as my current one. Obviously I know you can get them from various sellers on those sites, I wanted to know of anywhere that was known for selling decent ones instead of a lottery.

Edited by potter3

• 2 weeks later...

My Mum needs a new phone, she has an iPhone 4 but can't afford the new versions, an iPhone SE is GBP359 for the base model. So, I recommended a Motorola G4, which is a great phone. 

When she told some people last night, apparently they laughed. Really annoyed me, because they make out like I am being stupid recommending a Motorola. They all have iPhones and didn't know Motorola still made phones, and clearly didn't know that they are being ripped off. To me, if you are willing to pay a premium to have an apple product, that's great. But not everyone can afford one, nor do they want one or need one. Apple make nice looking things, but they are way over priced. Check out the table below for a comparison of the iPhone SE and Motorola G4, both base phones for the manufacturer. To me, the winner is clearly the G4, better screen, better camera specs (although the iPhone might produce better pictures, not sure), much lower price.

iPhone SE

Motorola G4

Size & weight

4.87x2.31x0.3 inches (3.99oz)

6x3x0.3(to 0.38) inches (5.4oz)

Screen size

4”

5.5”

Screen

1136x640 326ppi

1920x1080 401ppi

Storage

16GB

64GB

16GB expandable with 128GB micro SD

32GB expandable with 128GB micro SD

Processor

A9 64-bit

Snapdragon 617 octa-core

Rear camera

12MP

13MP

Front camera

1.2MP

5MP

Cost

GBP359 (16GB)

GBP439 (64GB)

GBP169 (16GB)

GBP199 (32GB)

3 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

My Mum needs a new phone, she has an iPhone 4 but can't afford the new versions, an iPhone SE is GBP359 for the base model. So, I recommended a Motorola G4, which is a great phone. 

When she told some people last night, apparently they laughed. Really annoyed me, because they make out like I am being stupid recommending a Motorola. They all have iPhones and didn't know Motorola still made phones, and clearly didn't know that they are being ripped off. To me, if you are willing to pay a premium to have an apple product, that's great. But not everyone can afford one, nor do they want one or need one. Apple make nice looking things, but they are way over priced. Check out the table below for a comparison of the iPhone SE and Motorola G4, both base phones for the manufacturer. To me, the winner is clearly the G4, better screen, better camera specs (although the iPhone might produce better pictures, not sure), much lower price.

iPhone SE

Motorola G4

Size & weight

4.87x2.31x0.3 inches (3.99oz)

6x3x0.3(to 0.38) inches (5.4oz)

Screen size

4”

5.5”

Screen

1136x640 326ppi

1920x1080 401ppi

Storage

16GB

64GB

16GB expandable with 128GB micro SD

32GB expandable with 128GB micro SD

Processor

A9 64-bit

Snapdragon 617 octa-core

Rear camera

12MP

13MP

Front camera

1.2MP

5MP

Cost

GBP359 (16GB)

GBP439 (64GB)

GBP169 (16GB)

GBP199 (32GB)

We're locked into a world of madness now where people commit to paying a bastard fortune for something over 2 years or whatever and are prepared to give it literally a second's thought.  When buying a new phone ask yourself this question:  Do I want to play the latest 3D games, Y/N?  If the answer is no, you don't need a high end smartphone (although, increasingly even if you do the better specs creeping onto cheaper devices means that they can cope just fine).  Naturally, when people have handed over a shedload of money, they're not really open to the idea that they probably didn't need to.

I've got a G4 and it's great, and I've paid for it, and it was cheap enough for me to not worry about insuring it.  I was sat with my mates on Saturday, who have all either got IPhone 5/s or 6/s and you wouldn't know the Motorola cost a fraction of the price.  It's got a plastic body (which you can't see once you've put a case on it), but it's got a bigger screen (and a pretty good one at that), so the casual observer would probably think I had the higher end device.

Your mum will think the G4 is amazing compared to an IPhone 4, and if she goes for it she should ask her friends what their IPhones do that hers doesn't

• Like 1

We're locked into a world of madness now where people commit to paying a bastard fortune for something over 2 years or whatever and are prepared to give it literally a second's thought.  When buying a new phone ask yourself this question:  Do I want to play the latest 3D games, Y/N?  If the answer is no, you don't need a high end smartphone (although, increasingly even if you do the better specs creeping onto cheaper devices means that they can cope just fine).  Naturally, when people have handed over a shedload of money, they're not really open to the idea that they probably didn't need to.

I've got a G4 and it's great, and I've paid for it, and it was cheap enough for me to not worry about insuring it.  I was sat with my mates on Saturday, who have all either got IPhone 5/s or 6/s and you wouldn't know the Motorola cost a fraction of the price.  It's got a plastic body (which you can't see once you've put a case on it), but it's got a bigger screen (and a pretty good one at that), so the casual observer would probably think I had the higher end device.

Your mum will think the G4 is amazing compared to an IPhone 4, and if she goes for it she should ask her friends what their IPhones do that hers doesn't

I'm glad you like it. I got my mother in law the original Motorola G. It's about time she got an upgrade too.

11 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

I'm glad you like it. I got my mother in law the original Motorola G. It's about time she got an upgrade too.

I had the 4G version of the first one 2 years ago, and it's only now getting a bit slow, plus I think the battery was starting to degrade a bit.  We've had all the versions of the Moto G through work and they've all been fine - great value.  Camera on the new one is excellent, and running Android Marshmallow so bang up to date.

I've recommended them to a couple of friends of late who have ended up getting a less than current iPhone with lower specs for considerably more money, including a 4S which had me almost headbutting the wall.  It is frustrating, but that's the power of brands for you, isn't it?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You need to compare it to another  phone to understand its worth.  My sister inlaw has one and loves it. She came from a sony xperia  i believe.

I have the old s5 and its been good fir the most part. Although over  2.5 years now and the bottom charger cover port broke off (after 1.5 years) and my phones been laggy lately. I dont download  crazy apps or random crap. Phone has been dropped 1000 times by my son and not broken byt i do have a otter box case for it. A must with samsung phones.

Camera is garbage compared  to my wifes xperia z2. Not even close. Think i might call it a day with samsung for my next purchase as its over priced.

I'm waiting to see what the new iPhone offer later this week, think it'll be announced Wednesday (Sept 7th?). If it doesn't offer a great deal more than the latest iPhone I think i'll just get that.

I have an iPhone 5S but it's abit battered, my intention was always to get through to September (If it lasted that long) with it then decide what I was going to do.

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'm waiting to see what the new iPhone offer later this week, think it'll be announced Wednesday (Sept 7th?). If it doesn't offer a great deal more than the latest iPhone I think i'll just get that.

I have an iPhone 5S but it's abit battered, my intention was always to get through to September (If it lasted that long) with it then decide what I was going to do.

Wait for next years iPhone and get a 6s for the time being. 

11 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

You think?

Being a new phone, not the the 'stopgap' inbetween i'd think it'd be quite good, saying that I guess when the 'stopgap' comes out people know what its about, if it's any good and any problems can be ironed out.

I'm not liking the idea/rumour that they are doing away with a headphone jack for their own lightning port, that might be the deal breaker and push me towards the 6s.

47 minutes ago, Matt said:

You think?

Being a new phone, not the the 'stopgap' inbetween i'd think it'd be quite good, saying that I guess when the 'stopgap' comes out people know what its about, if it's any good and any problems can be ironed out.

I'm not liking the idea/rumour that they are doing away with a headphone jack for their own lightning port, that might be the deal breaker and push me towards the 6s.

It's what I've done and I'm very happy. Absolutely fantastic phone the 6s. From what I've read next years iPhone is gonna be the really good 1 

Edited by Samilktray

3 hours ago, Samilktray said:

From what I've heard so far, the iPhone 7 will probably disappoint a lot of people with its design and headphone jack (so we're going to have to buy new headphones from a limited range of options or buy an adapter?), but my problem is is that I'm really looking forward to an iPhone with a better battery lifespan and one that doesn't need recharging every evening/night or that lasts for maybe a day and a half max.

At present, I'm a bit torn. I'll wait for the announcement next week to make my mind up whether to go for the new one or choose the 6s.

Edited by MC Prussian

30 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

From what I've heard so far, the iPhone 7 will probably disappoint a lot of people with its design and headphone jack (so we're going to have to buy new headphones from a limited range of options or buy an adapter?), but my problem is is that I'm really looking forward to an iPhone with a better battery lifespan and one that doesn't need recharging every evening/night or that last for maybe a day and a half max.

At present, I'm a bit torn. I'll wait for the announcement next week to make my mind up whether to go for the new one or choose the 6s.

Also i'm looking forward to rumours the base model will be a 32gb, I know I could just buy a 32gb iPhone in one of the earlier models but being the 2nd one up it's more expensive, with it now being the base model i'm assuming it'll be a better deal/slightly cheaper, if you know what I mean.

A 16gb simply isn't big enough, I don't even have that many photos, music or apps on it, but i'm always getting storage low warnings on my phone, does my head in.

I'm available to upgrade now.

So I'm thinking the Samsung Galaxy S7, anyone got one or got any thoughts on it? 

Opinions would be greatly appreciated. :vardy:

So what's everyone make of the iPhone 7?

On first thoughts I was very against losing the headphone jack, but it's not so bad tbh, I really like idea of the Airpods, but they're far too expensive (But what was I expecting?!).

Dust resistant...I'll but that to the test and be the judge of that, if I do get one.

It's £100 more than the 16GB 6s so bearing in mind it'll be a 32GB I might go for it, unless the 16GB 6s drop's in price now, on the other hand I could get a 62GB 6s for £20 less than the iPhone 7.

I definetly want more than 16GB, because as I mentioned i'm sick to death of getting the 'Low disk space' message come up, especially when i've hardly got fuck all on it (In terms of photo's and music) anyway.

Edited by Matt