Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Mobile Phone Thread

Another Huawei convert here. Had an iPhone, loved it until it conveniently started dying *juuuuuust* in time for the biannual upgrade, so made the decision to go back to Android, but didn't want Samsung or HTC after bad experiences. Did a ton of research, and picked up the Huawei P10 on O2 for about £25 a month, and it's been bloody excellent - minimal bloatware, battery life is pretty good, camera's excellent (apparently - I can't tell the difference, but the missus raves about it), and it runs really smoothly.

Literally the only grumble I have is that it doesn't support wi-fi calling on O2, which is a bit of a pain, but I can always use Whatsapp, so it's hardly a problem.

2 hours ago, seanfox778 said:

Upgraded my Samsung S7 Edge to the Samsung Galaxy 9+. Think it’s a lovely phone.

I went from an s5 to the s9+. Brilliant phone and amazing pics.  Reality is that not  a whole lot seperates some of the cheaper chinese phones so to each their own.  I wont be paying this much for a phone again though so could be my last Samsung.

Edited by Jattdogg

1 hour ago, Lcfcbisto said:

IPhone X best phone ever. Yes it’s expensive but so are Samsung’s, once you own it and use it everyday you realise why it’s so good. Obviously the apple haters will never give it a go but it’s worth a try. 

It's not even the best iPhone ever tbh 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help buying a phone for my 12 year old daughter! :please:

She's just started secondary school and of course all the other kids have a smart phone and now she wants one :rolleyes: 

It's her birthday soon and I'm happy to get her a phone but the options are overwhelming, but I think we've both agreed on an i-phone 6s in rose gold for her.

The question is: Has anyone bought a refurbished unlocked phone off e-bay and were you happy with it? 

A new one is about £450 by the look of it, but a 'pristine/grade A' refurb is about £170 which I can just about cope with. I really don't want a contract with it and would rather get her some sort of SIM/PAYG deal for £10 a month with calls/texts/data included.

My guess is she'll be bored with the phone in a year and then want the latest one so I thought getting a refurb might be the best bet. There's a few on e-bay with decent feedback and a 1 year guarantee but I'm a bit nervous about buying one off there for some reason.

Any advice/tips/experience would be much appreciated. Cheers :thumbup:

I’ve not had a refurbed one myself but my girlfriend recently had to make a claim on her phone insurance. It turns out all all phones you get through your bank when making a claim are all refurbished one’s. It was in pristine condition and if they hadn’t told you it was a refurb you wouldn’t have known. Also Apple will be releasing at least 2 new phones soon so prices might drop down within the next few weeks.

I know Apple sell refurbished phones but I’m not sure of the price of them. Regarding the price plan you get for your daughter look for a plan that has a decent amount of data. I know a few people who have got their children contracts and then have been stung with a high bill as they used all their data. Either that or ask the company to cap the amount of data that can be used. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

She's just started secondary school and of course all the other kids have a smart phone and now she wants one :rolleyes: 

It's her birthday soon and I'm happy to get her a phone but the options are overwhelming, but I think we've both agreed on an i-phone 6s in rose gold for her.

The question is: Has anyone bought a refurbished unlocked phone off e-bay and were you happy with it? 

A new one is about £450 by the look of it, but a 'pristine/grade A' refurb is about £170 which I can just about cope with. I really don't want a contract with it and would rather get her some sort of SIM/PAYG deal for £10 a month with calls/texts/data included.

My guess is she'll be bored with the phone in a year and then want the latest one so I thought getting a refurb might be the best bet. There's a few on e-bay with decent feedback and a 1 year guarantee but I'm a bit nervous about buying one off there for some reason.

I used to refurbish the phones and sell them myself Izzy, if they have good feedback then you will be fine. Reputation is king in that game. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Strokes said:

I used to refurbish the phones and sell them myself Izzy, if they have good feedback then you will be fine. Reputation is king in that game. 

O.K., thanks mate. I notice the feedback on e-bay ranges from 94% to 99.9% for these places so I'll probably take my chances on one with a good rep. I'm just always a bit wary of buying refurbished tech goods as I assume they've previously been faulty and will therefore go wrong again!

8 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I’ve not had a refurbed one myself but my girlfriend recently had to make a claim on her phone insurance. It turns out all all phones you get through your bank when making a claim are all refurbished one’s. It was in pristine condition and if they hadn’t told you it was a refurb you wouldn’t have known. Also Apple will be releasing at least 2 new phones soon so prices might drop down within the next few weeks.

I know Apple sell refurbished phones but I’m not sure of the price of them. Regarding the price plan you get for your daughter look for a plan that has a decent amount of data. I know a few people who have got their children contracts and then have been stung with a high bill as they used all their data. Either that or ask the company to cap the amount of data that can be used. 

That's really helpful advice mate, much appreciated :thumbup: 

My worry is that I'll order her a 'pristine/grade A' refurb and it'll arrive scratched to fvck. As it's a present I want her to think it's as new as poss I suppose.

I know I'm embarking on a long slippery slope with this, so being able to cap her usage sounds a great idea. 

Bloody kids and phones :mad:

On 26/08/2018 at 00:07, Lcfcbisto said:

IPhone X best phone ever. Yes it’s expensive but so are Samsung’s, once you own it and use it everyday you realise why it’s so good. Obviously the apple haters will never give it a go but it’s worth a try. 

Why is it so good? I heard the only difference is the camera? What is it that makes it so good? Genuine question

22 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

O.K., thanks mate. I notice the feedback on e-bay ranges from 94% to 99.9% for these places so I'll probably take my chances on one with a good rep. I'm just always a bit wary of buying refurbished tech goods as I assume they've previously been faulty and will therefore go wrong again!

Nah, my old s3 went tits up after 2 years so I got it refurbed and it's still going now, just over 4 years later. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Nah, my old s3 went tits up after 2 years so I got it refurbed and it's still going now, just over 4 years later. 

That's good to hear mate. I've no idea what refurbed actually means tbh :unsure:

9 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

My daughters sim card I got for her was with Three (The phone company) For £13 a month she gets unlimited minutes, texts and I think 20Gb of data. its a 12 month contract which then the monthly charge goes up, at which point I will get her a new sim card. A great deal as there is no way she will eat through 20Gb data. Hopefully I don't eat those words lol  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

That's good to hear mate. I've no idea what refurbed actually means tbh :unsure:

For selling purposes it just means it's been tested and works to a certain point where the seller is happy to put a guarantee on it. Refurbed doesn't necessarily mean it was broke and now it works. Could just have had a thorough test and a nice clean. :thumbup:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

My daughters sim card I got for her was with Three (The phone company) For £13 a month she gets unlimited minutes, texts and I think 20Gb of data. its a 12 month contract which then the monthly charge goes up, at which point I will get her a new sim card. A great deal as there is no way she will eat through 20Gb data. Hopefully I don't eat those words lol  

Mate that sounds absolutely perfect for my daughter.

I assume you pay £13 a month on a DD and then just cancel it after 12 months and start again with a new SIM? I suppose the only downside is that she'll then have to change her number again with a new SIM card/contract but that's no biggie I guess?

Cheers :thumbup:

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

Mate that sounds absolutely perfect for my daughter.

I assume you pay £13 a month on a DD and then just cancel it after 12 months and start again with a new SIM? I suppose the only downside is that she'll then have to change her number again with a new SIM card/contract but that's no biggie I guess?

Cheers :thumbup:

You wont have to change your number, you can transfer it over to the new sim. After the year the monthly cost will double to £26 a month which even then Isnt the worst deal for 20GB of data.

Was the perfect sim card. I have seen the balance of £13 go out my bank also so there are no hidden charges or anything either

• Thanks 1